SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
American customers’ ‘abrasive’ behaviour shocks Australian waitress

Countless horror stories about having to deal with ‘aggressive’ customers are a dime a dozen on the internet. Whether it’s serving them in a restaurant, helping them out at a store, or doing some other type of work, encountering these kinds of people can be frustrating and draining. This is why some people who work in customer service seem like saints. They do their best to keep calm and provide others with the level of service they expect and deserve.

However, some people can’t help but cross the line – like a group of American customers one Aussie waitress had to serve recently. They were so rude that she was left ‘shocked’ by their behaviour!

Lucy Holz took to TikTok to share an encounter she recently had. According to Lucy, the customers were ‘just a little bit abrasive and [doing] a lot of checking up on my service, even though I was already doing it.’ The tourists apparently couldn't wait 30 seconds for their whole order to be served before they started complaining!

Lucy shared her story on TikTok. Credit: TikTok @lucy.holz.

She said that when she brought out their main course plates, they immediately told her she was missing the rest of their order. ‘Yeah, well. I actually can’t carry five plates at once. So, if you could bear with me for 30 seconds, I’ll go and grab the other mains. Well obviously, I didn’t say that.’ Lucy quickly explained.

xb7AR51UHP1b8xbYBGpZY1HDtzBnzpIdn1ung888wLSSLhPVF4_F_3SgpoBZ7ooOEE6p8EOzIlaelFHgWCsWF26S9wwoujU31KATFcKtif__GR8sJ4LNSeNNadNla_bebLIJnCNvNTYeSwEJnwI9nFXlK1vdvsAeHYhmTUU2KsPY3ratksrCH6pxZA

Lucy was shocked at the ‘abrasive’ behaviour of the American tourists she recently served. Credit: lucy.holz on TikTok.

‘But then I was clearing these mains,’ Lucy continued, ‘They were like “and we should have dessert coming as well” I was like, “yeah I’ll just clear your mains first”’. Lucy voiced out her frustrations in the now-viral video.

Lucy also said that the tourists didn't seem to understand the Australian coffee culture. She asked them if they wanted tea or coffee to go with their dessert, and one of the tourists bluntly answered ‘black coffee’. When asked for specifics, they repeated ‘black coffee’. But the real kicker is when the tourists left, they didn’t leave a tip!

t_ytb-Gj_o0Ga2F5a9yTVql8YqBY-I3PhWumFMadWDQ6QdoaCZIrBgwv6lIRFyu1w86bvoGDJnIRTuRucqdJAe680YySurOKNlQrCh9ScTmhN_Jks_LAIvQNwve-rGQ0rGqY5SlEJn3d2f0H5i_vMHhHHcAUb3yqRBKK5HW2yBR2SVo6Ia5f_YUd5g

Lucy explains that maybe Americans don't have coffee culture like Aussies. Credit: Chevanon Photography in Pexels.

‘They didn’t even tip me!’ Lucy exclaimed. ‘They harassed me as though I was an American waitress but I didn’t even reap the benefits!” She said, ending the video. The TikTok video earned over 68,000 likes and 800 comments. One user wrote: ‘They genuinely don’t realise how rude they are either; they think they’re being polite.’ This became the top comment on Lucy’s account.

Another person said, ‘I used to work at a place with a lot of American tourists and every single one of them was like this. Some of them did tip though.’ Not all comments slammed the American tourists though.

‘As an American, all I can say is our dining style here is so rushed. We’ve been conditioned to also rush. No excuses when in other places though.’ Someone explained. While others joked around a bit, with one person saying ‘our waitresses can, in fact, carry five plates at once. It’s impressive.’

Well, there you have it, dear members! What are your thoughts on this incident? Do you agree that people should always tip their servers – regardless of the culture? Let us know in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci, POG and BJM

Countless horror stories about having to deal with ‘aggressive’ customers are a dime a dozen on the internet. Whether it’s serving them in a restaurant, helping them out at a store, or doing some other type of work, encountering these kinds of people can be frustrating and draining. This is why some people who work in customer service seem like saints. They do their best to keep calm and provide others with the level of service they expect and deserve.

However, some people can’t help but cross the line – like a group of American customers one Aussie waitress had to serve recently. They were so rude that she was left ‘shocked’ by their behaviour!

Lucy Holz took to TikTok to share an encounter she recently had. According to Lucy, the customers were ‘just a little bit abrasive and [doing] a lot of checking up on my service, even though I was already doing it.’ The tourists apparently couldn't wait 30 seconds for their whole order to be served before they started complaining!

She said that when she brought out their main course plates, they immediately told her she was missing the rest of their order. ‘Yeah, well. I actually can’t carry five plates at once. So, if you could bear with me for 30 seconds, I’ll go and grab the other mains. Well obviously, I didn’t say that.’ Lucy quickly explained.

xb7AR51UHP1b8xbYBGpZY1HDtzBnzpIdn1ung888wLSSLhPVF4_F_3SgpoBZ7ooOEE6p8EOzIlaelFHgWCsWF26S9wwoujU31KATFcKtif__GR8sJ4LNSeNNadNla_bebLIJnCNvNTYeSwEJnwI9nFXlK1vdvsAeHYhmTUU2KsPY3ratksrCH6pxZA

Lucy was shocked at the ‘abrasive’ behaviour of the American tourists she recently served. Credit: lucy.holz on TikTok.

‘But then I was clearing these mains,’ Lucy continued, ‘They were like “and we should have dessert coming as well” I was like, “yeah I’ll just clear your mains first”’. Lucy voiced out her frustrations in the now-viral video.

Lucy also said that the tourists didn't seem to understand the Australian coffee culture. She asked them if they wanted tea or coffee to go with their dessert, and one of the tourists bluntly answered ‘black coffee’. When asked for specifics, they repeated ‘black coffee’. But the real kicker is when the tourists left, they didn’t leave a tip!

t_ytb-Gj_o0Ga2F5a9yTVql8YqBY-I3PhWumFMadWDQ6QdoaCZIrBgwv6lIRFyu1w86bvoGDJnIRTuRucqdJAe680YySurOKNlQrCh9ScTmhN_Jks_LAIvQNwve-rGQ0rGqY5SlEJn3d2f0H5i_vMHhHHcAUb3yqRBKK5HW2yBR2SVo6Ia5f_YUd5g

Lucy explains that maybe Americans don't have coffee culture like Aussies. Credit: Chevanon Photography in Pexels.

‘They didn’t even tip me!’ Lucy exclaimed. ‘They harassed me as though I was an American waitress but I didn’t even reap the benefits!” She said, ending the video. The TikTok video earned over 68,000 likes and 800 comments. One user wrote: ‘They genuinely don’t realise how rude they are either; they think they’re being polite.’ This became the top comment on Lucy’s account.

Another person said, ‘I used to work at a place with a lot of American tourists and every single one of them was like this. Some of them did tip though.’ Not all comments slammed the American tourists though.

‘As an American, all I can say is our dining style here is so rushed. We’ve been conditioned to also rush. No excuses when in other places though.’ Someone explained. While others joked around a bit, with one person saying ‘our waitresses can, in fact, carry five plates at once. It’s impressive.’

Well, there you have it, dear members! What are your thoughts on this incident? Do you agree that people should always tip their servers – regardless of the culture? Let us know in the comments below!

This is why YANKS are called SEPTIC TANKS by most businesses in Australia as they really stink in their attitude to people who provide them services I also have been on the end as I use to own a Motel as was treated similar.

Poor girl, just imagine if she was in the US and didn't leave a tip, I can tell you they are not impressed as we found out in Hawaii, we left the change for the waitress and I actually had no idea how much change there should have been and she came to our table and threw the money at us and carried on like a banshee, so I just said if she had of been a decent waitress I would have made sure she got the appropriate tip, she also tried to tell us it was illegal not to leave the 10% tip.

I always say ‘Never be rude to those who serve your food or you will eat a lot of snot!!’

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci and Jennie
This level of rudeness is unwarranted form the OS visitors, agreed. However, what’s with the expectation of a tip. Australian hospitality workers are very well paid and tipping is completely unnecessary. I would never ever tip any worker in Oz….this is NOT America, people. Once again, the younger generations align themselves (without any intelligent thinking) with all things American and have this absurd expectation. My responses to such thinking and behaviour is that if you want to be American so badly then go and live there and give up your Australian Citizenship and all that that affords you. Let’s see how much you then want to align yourself with such a toxic, violent and cruel country.

My wife and I were in a hotel in Hobart and at breakfast there was a table of Americans one of them was so noisy and agro to people around that the other people at his table were embarrassed and one guy just told him to shut up everyone in the place clapped it was so funny the rude one left

Americans,..... can't help themselves, it's their nature to be abrupt and rude.

I have seen this behaviour quite a few times, and Americans can be among the worst, especially when travelling. They often have very high expectations and don't expect to wait. I don't know what it is like in America, but here, this just isn't acceptible.

Having travelled extensively in the US, we find that Americans treat their restaurant and shop assistants as if they were servants, especially if these workers are Mexican or Central American. When I challenged one group once for such loud rudeness I was told, "We are paying them to serve us. If they don't like it they can go back". I pointed out that most were probably born in the US, were also citizens and everyone deserved respect. However it was an attidude we found all over The States.

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci
This level of rudeness is unwarranted form the OS visitors, agreed. However, what’s with the expectation of a tip. Australian hospitality workers are very well paid and tipping is completely unnecessary. I would never ever tip any worker in Oz….this is NOT America, people. Once again, the younger generations align themselves (without any intelligent thinking) with all things American and have this absurd expectation. My responses to such thinking and behaviour is that if you want to be American so badly then go and live there and give up your Australian Citizenship and all that that affords you. Let’s see how much you then want to align yourself with such a toxic, violent and cruel country.
You are right about not being rude no matter where you are, and tipping in Australia is not the norm but I used to be a waitress way back in the early eighties and I used to get heaps of tips, like me people appreciate good service and will tip even if it is not expected, but today yes they do expect it (because young people have been brainwashed into thinking the US is something to aspire to) and are not real happy if they don't get it

The comment to them as they left should have been.... "the manners shop is just around the corner, Have a nice day"

Now the poor girl knows where the saying "The ugly american abroad" came from. l have quite a few friends who are americans and very nice people but having travelled abroad they are few and far between from my experiences.

We see it on cruise ships all the time. What do expect of a nation of 350 million who could only find Trump. Clinton or Biden to choose to lead them.

My late father told me of the Americans in WWII in Townsville . As the troop trains crossend the Yanks called out “ we’ll look after your women whilst you are away”. The after math saw 57 of them shot dead by the Aussies.

There are nice Americans but they generally come from Canada.