R2D2

Nov 19, 2022
Almost fell for a scam...

Advertised a 2 seater couch for sale on Marketplace for $450 and received an offer immediately. The payment options seemed doggy so I asked them to call my mobile. They then cut all contact! Below are the two emails I was sent by a doggy paypal address.....
photo

Payment Notification <[email protected]>
To: (name inserted)

Thu, 26 Jan at 12:35 pm

Dear (name inserted)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: READ CAREFULLY THE BELOW MESSAGES AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN SO WE CAN FINALLY PROCESS YOUR PAYMENT WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DELAY.

We are really sorry for the late response. We encountered a little problem while crediting your PayPal account, you have a pending payment of $450.00 AUD but we have a problem crediting your PayPal account with that amount because your account is not a premium business account, your PayPal account has a small limit of an amount that can be deposited into it therefore you are required to quickly expand the limits of your PayPal account to enable your account to have a fund maximum limits.

You can take this few steps to expand your limit:

Contact the last payer of your account (Annarita) to send in an additional payment of $850.00 AUD so that your account limit can be expanded, as soon as this is done, we will credit the total amount of $1,300.00 AUD into your account immediately without any further delay.

Note: An alert has also been sent to (Annarita) regarding the $850.00 USD additional payment he has to send to you, we will secure this transaction with high priority so that neither the buyer nor the seller will lose their funds in this transaction.

Sincerely,
paypal

photo

To:a

Thu, 26 Jan at 12:53 pm

Dear A

You’ve received an additional payment of $850.00 AUD from Annarita.

Congratulations!!!!! Your PayPal account has been upgraded to a business account.

You’ve received additional payment of $850.00 AUD from (Annarita) and your account will be fully credited with the total sum of $1,300.00 AUD

Your funds are now safe with us and for buyer's safety, the additional payment has to be refunded FIRST for your account to be fully credited with the total sum of $1,300.00 AUD Annarita has chosen to be refunded the sum of $850.00 AUD through Osko Pay option

Final steps to follow:
1. Get your Bank account ready.
2. Collect the bank details from the buyer
3. Send the total sum of $850.00 AUD to the given bank account.
4. You are required to send us an email with clear proof that the refund has been effected through Osko Pay

IMPORTANT NOTE: YOUR FUNDS HAS BEEN APPROVED AND SECURED SO YOU ARE TO CARRY ON WITH THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN ABOVE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE FULLY CREDITED WITH THE TOTAL SUM OF $1,300.00 AUD

Sincerely,
Paypal®

Almost fell for a scam...

Advertised a 2 seater couch for sale on Marketplace for $450 and received an offer immediately. The payment options seemed doggy so I asked them to call my mobile. They then cut all contact! Below are the two emails I was sent by a doggy paypal address.....
photo

To: (name inserted)

Thu, 26 Jan at 12:35 pm

Dear (name inserted)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: READ CAREFULLY THE BELOW MESSAGES AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN SO WE CAN FINALLY PROCESS YOUR PAYMENT WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DELAY.

We are really sorry for the late response. We encountered a little problem while crediting your PayPal account, you have a pending payment of $450.00 AUD but we have a problem crediting your PayPal account with that amount because your account is not a premium business account, your PayPal account has a small limit of an amount that can be deposited into it therefore you are required to quickly expand the limits of your PayPal account to enable your account to have a fund maximum limits.

You can take this few steps to expand your limit:

Contact the last payer of your account (Annarita) to send in an additional payment of $850.00 AUD so that your account limit can be expanded, as soon as this is done, we will credit the total amount of $1,300.00 AUD into your account immediately without any further delay.

Note: An alert has also been sent to (Annarita) regarding the $850.00 USD additional payment he has to send to you, we will secure this transaction with high priority so that neither the buyer nor the seller will lose their funds in this transaction.

Sincerely,
paypal

photo

To:a

Thu, 26 Jan at 12:53 pm

Dear A

You’ve received an additional payment of $850.00 AUD from Annarita.

Congratulations!!!!! Your PayPal account has been upgraded to a business account.

You’ve received additional payment of $850.00 AUD from (Annarita) and your account will be fully credited with the total sum of $1,300.00 AUD

Your funds are now safe with us and for buyer's safety, the additional payment has to be refunded FIRST for your account to be fully credited with the total sum of $1,300.00 AUD Annarita has chosen to be refunded the sum of $850.00 AUD through Osko Pay option

Final steps to follow:
1. Get your Bank account ready.
2. Collect the bank details from the buyer
3. Send the total sum of $850.00 AUD to the given bank account.
4. You are required to send us an email with clear proof that the refund has been effected through Osko Pay

IMPORTANT NOTE: YOUR FUNDS HAS BEEN APPROVED AND SECURED SO YOU ARE TO CARRY ON WITH THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN ABOVE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE FULLY CREDITED WITH THE TOTAL SUM OF $1,300.00 AUD

Sincerely,
Paypal®
This is very very concerning. We highly recommend you report this to ACCC's Scamwatch division here if you haven't yet: https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam

Thank you for sharing this warning with us!

Reactions: Ricki and PattiB
I have a PayPal account and have been advised by them to never click on any links in emails. It is always best to access your account separately from any email.
Also PayPal will address you personally, not your email address but your actual name. We must remain vigilant to the scum doing this.

I have a PayPal account and have been advised by them to never click on any links in emails. It is always best to access your account separately from any email.
Also PayPal will address you personally, not your email address but your actual name. We must remain vigilant to the scum doing this.
Bloody crooks. They will come up with anything to scam you. They also know that the Law won't do anything to them if and when caught...TOO HARD.

They may also ask you to pay to family and friends. Don't do this as Paypal can't refund any money paid this way. They have it all covered.

Bloody crooks. They will come up with anything to scam you. They also know that the Law won't do anything to them if and when caught...TOO HARD.
I won’t use paypay fir that reason , if my bank thinks a contact is sus they contact me asap