Almond Cookies

I made these last week when friends came for a coffee. They both went away with the recipe.
Makes 30 cookies
Screenshot_20241007_074049_Gallery.jpg

Recipe by recipetineats

Ingredients​

• 2/3 cup (100g) blanched almonds
  • 2 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • One pinch cooking salt
  • 250g unsalted butter , softened (if you don't have unsalted butter than leave out the above salt from recipe)
  • 3/4 cups white sugar (or caster sugar)
  • 1 large egg (50g) at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

ALMOND DECORATION:​

• 1 egg white , lightly whisked
  • 1/4 cup almond flakes

Instruction​

• Preheat the oven to 180°C/ (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease (or spray with oil) 2 large trays and line with baking paper .

ALMOND BITS:​

• Roasting (optional, Note 1) – Roast the almonds for 8 minutes on a small tray, shaking once halfway. Cool almonds on the tray.
  • Bash/blitz the almonds using a food food processor or ziplock bag with a rolling pin until they resemble coarse sand with some small lumps (little almonds bits in the cookies are nice). (Note 3)

COOKIE DOUGH:​

• Dry ingredients – Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  • Cream butter and sugar – In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar using a handheld beater until it is soft and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed, ~1 1/2 minutes on medium high. (Note 2 stand mixer) Add the egg and vanilla, then beat until mixed in. (Note 4)
  • Add the flour mixture in 3 lots, beating in between until the flour is mostly mixed in (some visible white flour is ok). Start the beater on low and increase to medium, about 7 sec each go.
  • Add the crushed almonds then beat on medium until you can no longer see flour.
  • Form cookies – Roll 30 x 2 tablespoon balls (#40 cookie scoop) then slightly flatten to about 2 cm / 0.8" thick. (Note 5 for my method). Place the cookies 4 cm / 1.6" apart on the trays. Brush the top with egg white them place a pinch of almond flakes on top (no need to press in, egg glues them on).
  • Bake both trays together for 20 minutes or until the cookies in the middle are light golden and the ones of the edge of the tray are slightly more golden.
  • Cool 5 minutes on the tray then transfer onto a rack to fully cool. Attack!

Recipe Notes:​

1. Blanched almondsare the skinless almonds sold in packets labelled “blanched almonds” (I know, shocking! 😉 ) Almonds with skins on works but you’ll get little brown bits in the cookies. Roasting intensifies the almond flavour but it’s not recipe critical.

2. If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and scrape down sides as needed. For this recipe, I find a handheld beater easier because you can move it around so probably don’t need to scrape down the sides.

3. Almond bashing – We’re not aiming for fine almond meal / almond flour here, we want lots of tiny little bits!

4. If the mixture looks a little splitwhen you add the egg that’s ok, it will come together when you add the flour.

5. My cookie forming method: scoop and dollop all the dough onto trays, then roll and flatten. I find this the fastest way to make even sized cookies. (I also do this with meatballs!)

Storecookies in an airtight container for 5 days (once fully cool). Do not refrigerate.

Nutrition per cookie.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:​

Calories:144cal (7%)Carbohydrates:14g (5%)Protein:2g (4%)Fat:9g (14%)Saturated Fat:5g (31%)Polyunsaturated Fat:1gMonounsaturated Fat:3gTrans Fat:0.3gCholesterol:23mg (8%)Sodium:5mgPotassium:97mg (3%)Fiber:1g (4%)Sugar:5g (6%)Vitamin A:216IU (4%)Calcium:37mg (4%)Iron:1mg (6%

Sponsored