ALL Australians can now use the Aboriginal flag after the federal government closed a $20 million deal for copyright transfer

ALL Australians can now use the Aboriginal flag after the federal government closed a $20 million deal for copyright transfer
The Aboriginal flag can now be freely used by Australians after the federal government bought its copyright for $20 million from its designer and a non-Indigenous clothing company that produces the flags.

The deal allows the public to make their own Aboriginal flags for personal use without fear of being persecuted for breach of copyright.

It should be noted that a number of Indigenous groups have previously been sent cease and desist warnings for using the flag over apparent copyright infringement.

uybYb9MZaQEISyT4St--3185ibAn_LuWG0aRQVJ40WOvGi6F5IwYNjlXzZPM_sJg06tCFeW5Ox0zAbVXhxeD24uCU5dDUip7uusPQF3DcTJjGbdk7BwN_6CzRGpwVq9092YKyco

The Australian federal government has bought the copyright for the Aboriginal flag after Indigenous groups received cease and desist warnings for using the flag over alleged breach of copyright. Credit: Shutterstock/patrice6000.

Carroll and Richardson Flagworld — the textile printing company that is the sole producer of the Aboriginal flag since it was first designed by Harold Thomas 50 years ago — will remain the exclusive licensed manufacturer and provider of Aboriginal flags and bunting.

It was stated in the deal that the flags that will be produced by individuals should be for personal use only.

Additionally, the deal will allow the commonwealth to put all future royalties from the sales of the Aboriginal flags produced by Flagworld towards the work of NAIDOC.

"It was profoundly important for all Australians," said Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt, insisting that "no one can take it [the flag] away".

"Over the last 50 years we made Harold Thomas' artwork our own - we marched under the Aboriginal flag, stood behind it, and flew it high as a point of pride."

"In reaching this agreement to resolve the copyright issues, all Australians can freely display and use the flag to celebrate Indigenous culture."

Meanwhile, Mr Thomas said that he will start an Australian Aboriginal Flag Legacy not-for-profit with the $2 million funds from the deal.

Mr Thomas said: "The Aboriginal flag design is my dreaming, intertwined with my wife's family and mine, our ancestral belonging. The land, and the landscape, is indelible in my make-up; it courses through my consciousness and subconsciousness."

"The flag represents the timeless history of our land and our people's time on it. It is introspection and appreciation of who we are. It draws from the history of our ancestors, our land, and our identity and will honour these well into the future."

icQmDj95jMdoSuX3xnhrarSPAcu87oul1Gv8iALs8xU_f6tutP3y1lK0YVa6yTR9r4uu9-qtJqryX9Huawes6GKXO0cOEpbzQMYGu_WjjiYmOmynBu_9m8qGB_gxYbn6wysgeew

Harold Thomas will start an Australian Aboriginal Flag Legacy not-for-profit with the $2 million funds from the deal. Credit: PR Image.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison addressed the public over the copyright transfer, saying that he is thankful that the flag can now be used by the general public.

"The Aboriginal flag will now be managed in a similar manner to the Australian national flag, where its use is free, but must be presented in a respectful and dignified way," he said.

"All Australians can now put the Aboriginal flag on apparel such as sports jerseys and shirts, it can be painted on sports grounds, included on websites, in paintings and other artworks, used digitally and in any other medium without having to ask for permission or pay a fee."

This video summarises the long history and debate over the ownership of the Aboriginal flag and the calls to transfer its copyright to the general public:

Credit: YouTube/Behind the News

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Sponsored
I was astounded when I read this in the newspapers, tax dollars spent on something that was given free to a company that immediately it started to become popular, capitalised on it! disgusting, but what sovereign country needs to flags? Are we truly that divided, if so I fear for coming generations. (n):rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: shayne brown