ALDI's science kit erupts in laughter, producing a ‘rainbow’ of unintended jokes!

When it comes to shopping for educational toys, ALDI has been known to offer a variety of affordable options for parents looking to spark their children's interest in science and learning.

However, a recent find in the aisles of this popular supermarket chain has left some shoppers with raised eyebrows and a chuckle or two.

ALDI's $19.99 kid's science kit, designed to make chemistry ‘captivating’ for youngsters, has done just that, but perhaps not in the way intended.

The kit, which includes experiments to create an ‘erupting rainbow’, features packaging with an image that some shoppers have found to be unintentionally suggestive.

The colourful explosions emanating from test tubes on the box's front have been likened to something a bit more adult in nature, leading to a flurry of jokes and double-takes in an ALDI social media group.

Captivating-Chemistry-Science-Kit-A.jpg
An ALDI shopper spotted a phallic-like image on a children's science kit, leading to jokes about the design in an ALDI social media group. Credit: ALDI

‘I am not sure what “chemistry” is going on here?? Made me chuckle today at my local ALDI,’ the poster wrote.

The image sparked a wave of humorous comments, with group members playfully skewing the conversation towards adult-themed puns.

From ‘Clone a Willy’ to ‘Build your own dildo set, haha,’ the comments section became a playground for cheeky banter.

‘Yes I seen [sic] this tonight definitely one of those double look moments,’ a group member shared.

‘Will go well with that neck massager they were selling a while back,’ another jokingly said.

‘I laughed hard at the “erupting rainbow” decal,’ a third quipped.

‘Ooof, I think we're all accidentally dirty-minded, haha,’ someone else pointed out.

Others shifted their focus from the sensational to more practical concerns, inquiring about the logistics of the setup.

All jokes aside, haha, has anyone got this for a 6yr old?’ someone asked. ‘Will it be too hard for them as it says 8+? Obviously will be supervised. Looking for 6th birthday ideas.’

‘Pretty sure it comes with quite a comprehensive booklet-type thing, which could be a bit advanced for a 6-year-old but would depend on your child. They might need help with some things,’ one responded.

‘We are always underwhelmed with these science kits. You usually need heaps of stuff they don't come with—everyday stuff that can be bought at the store, but still a pain when you don't have it at home, and a child is excited [and] wanting to play,’ another replied.

Another customer shared a similar view, saying, ‘I got it for my 4-year-old, and we’ve been having a blast with it. I’d recommend you have rock salt, vinegar, bicarb, food colouring and sugar on hand, though, lol.’

Other commenters offered helpful (and more family-friendly) alternatives, with one person saying, ‘Me & kids do DIY volcano eruption, it needs only [bicarb] soda + vinegar and some food colouring available in our kitchen.’

‘You can do it with lemons, too,’ another suggested. ‘The extra vinegar gives an added burst of volcano, though, depending on how juicy your lemon is.’

Not everyone found the cheeky science kit amusing.

One ALDI enthusiast even remarked to fellow group members, ‘You need to get out more,’ finding it a bit immature for members joking about the kit.

Nevertheless, if you're aiming to spark your child's interest in science or just need a laugh for a hen's night, ALDI seems to be the place to go.

While some ALDI customers were taken aback by an unexpected detail in a kids' item, their discovery quickly became a topic of discussion.

This x-rated oversight in a seemingly innocent product has sparked further conversation, particularly as another mum has shared her own eye-opening blunder in Kmart’s kids’ section.

As these surprising finds continue to make waves, it’s clear that sometimes, what seems like a great gift can have a hidden twist.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper noticed a phallic-like image on a children's science kit, sparking jokes about the design in an ALDI social media group.
  • The science kit, which includes instructions for an ‘erupting rainbow’, is aimed at kids 8 years and older but inadvertently drew adult humour.
  • Some group members discussed the practicality of the kit for younger children, noting additional materials needed for the experiments.
  • While most found the design amusing, others offered more PG science experiment ideas and one commenter suggested people were being immature.
Have you ever come across a product with an unexpected twist that made you do a double-take? Or perhaps you have your own recommendations for simple and educational science experiments that can be done with grandchildren at home? Share your stories and suggestions in the comments below!

Sponsored