ALDI shopper's gross discovery: 'I got food poisoning just looking at this'

In the world of supermarket shopping, we all hope to snag the freshest produce and the best bargains.

But sometimes, what we find in our shopping bags can leave us with more questions than answers.

This was the case for one ALDI shopper, whose 'vile' find in the meat aisle sparked a wave of reactions across social media.

The shopper, seeking the wisdom of the masses, posted a photo to social media of a chicken breast that appeared far from the plump, pink poultry we're accustomed to seeing.

‘Is this still OK to eat? It had no smell,’ the shopper asked, noting that the chicken was still within its expiry date.

1721177206794.png
ALDI shopper questioned the safety of discoloured chicken breast on social media. Credit: Facebook

The image, which showed the chicken with unusual discolouration, quickly went viral, with fellow group members chiming in with horror, humour, and advice.

'It's a no from me,' one person declared, capturing the collective unease.

'I got food poisoning just looking at this,' another joked.

'Depends if you're looking for an excuse to get out of something.' a third suggested.

The thread was peppered with more straightforward guidance, with one echoing: 'If in doubt, throw it out.'

Some couldn't believe the question was even being asked.

'Clearly, that's vile. It's like mouldy! I can't believe someone could even question that,' a user expressed in disbelief.

The visual impact alone was enough to make some users feel queasy.

'They look rank. That's an express lane to the ER,' one warned.

Others shared their own disappointing experiences with ALDI's meat, questioning the reliability of the store's use-by dates.

Amidst the outcry, some offered practical advice: 'Hell no. Return for a refund.' one commented.

And for those still contemplating the chicken's fate, one user's dramatic input might have sealed the deal: 'You might actually die from that.'

Dr Vincent, a food scientist and nutrition researcher, offered a scientific perspective..

He explained that the discolouration could be due to bruising during processing or storage at too low a temperature, akin to, but not quite, freezer burn.

‘It looks like the product had some level of discolouration, which could be caused by 'bruising' during the mechanical processing of the chicken or being stored at too low a temperature – not quite freezer burn, but similar.’ he clarified.

'Chicken has a very distinctive smell when it goes bad, along with a slimy and tacky texture. So if the product is within the use-by date and has been stored properly, it should be safe,' Dr Vincent clarified. However, he also advised caution, suggesting that when it comes to chicken, it's best to trust your instincts.

‘That's me wearing my food scientist hat, but personally, when it comes to chicken, I always say follow your instinct. If you are not sure, don’t risk it.’

In related news, an ALDI shopper ignited debate by pointing out swollen packaging on a chicken product she bought.

Despite being within the use-by date, social media commenters raised concerns about the product's safety. More details can be found here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper shared an image of a discoloured chicken breast on social media, questioning its safety for consumption.
  • Responses on social media ranged from humorous to outright disgust, with many advising against eating the chicken.
  • Concerns were raised about ALDI's meat quality and the reliability of their use-by dates, with several shoppers sharing negative experiences.
  • A food scientist indicated that discolouration might be due to bruising or cold storage and that, scientifically speaking, the chicken could be safe if there are no bad smells or slimy texture, but still recommended following one's instinct.
Have you ever encountered something similar during your grocery runs? How did you handle the situation? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored