ALDI shopper shares dismay over pack of chips: ‘Absolute joke’

As we go through the aisles of our favourite supermarkets, hunting for bargains and stocking up on snacks, we often take for granted the expectation that what we see is what we get.

And when you reach for a packet of chips, you're probably looking forward to the satisfying crunch and flavour of a full bag of your favourite snack.

But for one ALDI shopper, this trust was put to the test in a rather disappointing snack-time revelation.

The discovery was made when a mum, looking forward to sharing a snack-sized pack of chips from ALDI’s Sprinter Multi Pack with her child, was met with a sight that left her more than a little hungry.

Upon opening the packet, she found it contained only a meagre serving of broken chips, with the rest of the packet as empty as a promise of rain during a drought.

3e9ef72463b978684d713bdf7f612dd5b2c38b4b-161x229-x34y0w1012h1440.jpg
An ALDI shopper was stunned by this unbelievable find in her packet of chips. Credit: Facebook

Taking to social media, the shopper shared her dismay alongside a photo of the paltry contents.

'Just opened a packet of my kid’s school chips,' she wrote, sparking a chorus of solidarity from fellow ALDI enthusiasts who had faced similar snack shortages.

The post quickly became a hotbed of shared experiences and images, with one member showing off a pack with about five lonely corn chips, humorously noting, 'Nineteen grams, lucky it wasn’t 20g or I would be sooo full.'

Another chimed in, saying, ‘I bought a box of Smith’s chips from Costco a month or so ago. There was one single chip in one of the salt and vinegar packets. Contacted Smith’s and they gave us a refund.’

This snack-sized scandal has led many to abandon these mini packs altogether, opting instead for a DIY approach.

One savvy shopper shared their cost-effective strategy: 'Yes! I don’t buy those rip-offs anymore because of this. I buy a large share packet and get them to fill a zip lock bag—better value for money. This is shameful!'

‘I refuse to buy the 20-pack bags or boxes anymore. I was spending between $20 to $40 a week on them (depending on brand),’ another said.

‘I now buy the large share packs (ALDI or on half-price sale at Coles or Woolworths), weigh them out into small Telfresh or Sistema containers (again bought on half-price sale).’

Other users lamented the trend of paying more for less, with one commenting, 'Cutting back everywhere and charging the same!'

Another pointed out, 'Absolute joke! We pay for packaging these days, not the contents.'

In response to these concerns, it's understood that ALDI's supplier partner maintains quality control systems that weigh products to ensure they meet standards, rejecting those that don't.

ALDI encouraged customers who encounter issues to contact their help centre for investigation.

The supermarket's policy allows dissatisfied customers to return products for a full refund or replacement.

This incident with ALDI isn’t unique.

In a similar story, an ALDI customer felt ‘ripped off’ after purchasing a bag of chips from ALDI when she discovered nearly half of the advertised contents were missing. You can read more about her story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper was stunned to discover that a packet of chips contained only a tiny amount of broken chips.
  • The shopper's post on social media sparked an intense reaction, with many reporting similar experiences.
  • Customers shared their frustration over receiving packets with minimal contents, with some opting to make their own portioned snacks from larger bags for better value.
  • ALDI advised customers to contact them directly for any issues, stating that their supplier partner has weighing systems to ensure product standards and offers refunds or replacements for unsatisfactory products.
Have you ever opened a packet of food to find it woefully underfilled? What are your tips and tricks for ensuring you get the most bang for your buck when it comes to snacks? Share your stories and advice in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: NotNats
Sponsored
Come on Folks, all these packs are filled by machines and they are far more reliable than humans, but even they have hiccups as does the human that is supposed to watch them. Just take them back to the shop and get a credit or replacement. If you don't have joy, then that is the time to jump up and down. I have also been in business.

It is annoying when you pay for treats for the children or any item and you don't receive what your've paid for, but in honesty, it's not the supermarkets fault, they too are buying products in good faith to sell on to consumers, it's the actual supplier, ie Smiths, Arnotts etc that the complaint be addressed to. By all means complain to Aldi, Woolworths etc and see if they will refund your $'s but still believe that the biggest complaint should be made to the company that produce the product.

Never eat the stuff..... @ $200 a kg.... I am kidding on the price although I would susect the would be expensive...

Justs gets me the trouble you have to go to, to return an item... sometimes not worth the effort when you are elderly.

Headlines about an Aldi shopper's dismay, big deal!! Aldi only sell the product, they don’t package or process the chips. Take them back for a refund if you aren't happy. Another "5 seconds of fame" complainer.

Live in Karuah,, shop at Coles Tea Gardens or Medowie.. Yesterday went to Raymond Terrace ALDI.. Most products there that I buy are cheaper in Coles. And the checkout system was abysmal. Not going back

So what! Likely the last bag filled and it slipped through the cracks .
Just take it back and ask for another ---- if they don't give you one then maybe whinge about it.
I had a similar tin of something that wasn't right ; wrote a note to the company who apologized , offered another which I didn't accept ---- I just wanted to let them know they had minor stuff up .

Shit happens people . Doesn't mean you have to get your 5 seconds of fame on bloody social media.
In other words ; GROW UP!

Reactions: Knell
So what! Likely the last bag filled and it slipped through the cracks .
Just take it back and ask for another ---- if they don't give you one then maybe whinge about it.
I had a similar tin of something that wasn't right ; wrote a note to the company who apologized , offered another which I didn't accept ---- I just wanted to let them know they had minor stuff up .

Shit happens people . Doesn't mean you have to get your 5 seconds of fame on bloody social media.
In other words ; GROW UP!
And in this case, it is a multi-pack, which means 1 packet of many packets was allegedly short - perhaps 1 small packet of multi-pack 0.25 cents...sad story!

Reactions: IanB.