ALDI customers reveal mind-boggling issue with household item—are you affected?

When shopping at ALDI, customers are often delighted by the savings they can find on various items, from pantry essentials to household goods.

However, a recent revelation on social media has left some shoppers scratching their heads and questioning their senses.

A typical household item from ALDI has been causing quite a stir, and it's not because of a price drop or a new product feature.

The item in question is the Goliath Garbage Bag Handle Tie 20pk ($2.79).

A perplexed ALDI fan took to social media to inquire if anyone else had detected a rather unusual scent emanating from these bags.

Accompanied by a product photo, the shopper described the odour as reminiscent of cigarette smoke, which had become noticeable about three months ago.

1721606612514.png
An ALDI shopper reported Goliath garbage bags smelled like cigarettes. Credit: Facebook

'Has anyone else noticed a cigarette smell from these bags?' she asked.

'It probably was noticeable three months ago. Literally just stinks of ciggys. I wonder if the manufacturers just smoke heavily or if I don’t know. It’s gross though.'

The post quickly became a hub for shared experiences, with other group members chiming in to confirm that they, too, had encountered the mysterious cigarette-like aroma.

‘Do you know what's crazy? I literally thought my husband, who doesn't smoke, must have started, haha,’ one shopper commented.

‘Oh well, that explains it then.’

‘That’s so funny. I thought I was losing my mind,’ another echoed.

‘Oh my god, YES! I thought I was going insane,’ a third said.

The thread became a humorous exchange as shoppers recounted their initial disbelief and the comical scenarios it led to.

The conversation wasn't just limited to bewildered observations; some found the situation more serious.

For instance, a reformed smoker expressed that the smell was triggering and made it impossible for them to use the bags.

‘They smell like ashtrays, I won’t use them...reformed smoker who can’t stand the smell,’ they said.

On the lighter side, some saw an opportunity for a good-natured prank or a joke about the cost of cigarettes versus bin liners.

‘No smell of ciggies here with the bin liners...I'm kind of feeling ripped off 'cause I'm sure these are cheaper than a packet of ciggies these days, ’ the shopper said.

Despite the flurry of comments about the smoky scent, many customers hadn't noticed anything.

‘I buy them all the time when I go to ALDI. All I ever smell is the fragrance stated on the wrapper,’ one stated.

‘I haven't noticed. I have been buying the purple ones for about four years,’ another added.

‘I buy the yellow ones. And they always smell like lemons,’ a different shopper noted.

This discrepancy led to speculation about the cause of the odour, with one group member suggesting it could be a result of the manufacturing process, recalling their experience working at the factory where the bags were produced.

‘When the bags come off the cutting machine off the roller, it burns cos [sic] of hot melt press,’ they said.

‘Haven't noticed the smell but worked where they were made in Melbourne many years ago.’

In related news, ALDI supermarket is testing its Jindurra Station Grass Fed 5-Star and 4-Star Beef Mince in plastic bags for more eco-friendly packaging.

These bags use 70 per cent less plastic than the trays typically used for mince. Read more about this update here.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI shoppers have reported a bizarre issue where their Goliath easy-tie garbage bags smell like cigarettes.
  • Customers discussed the unusual phenomenon on social media, with some initially thinking they were imagining the smell.
  • Many shoppers shared their experiences, with some mentioning the smell was strong enough to question their non-smoking family members.
  • A possible explanation for the odour was offered, and solutions such as scented body spray were suggested to mask the smell.
Have you encountered any peculiar issues with products from ALDI or other stores? Have you found any creative solutions? Join the conversation and let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored