Alarming reports: Kmart kitchen item explodes, angers customers—are you at risk?

In the age of convenience and budget-friendly home appliances, Kmart has been a go-to for many Australian households looking to equip their kitchens without breaking the bank.

However, recent reports from disgruntled customers have raised serious concerns about the safety of one of Kmart's popular kitchen items.

Once praised for its affordability, the electric fry pan has become the subject of alarming complaints involving explosions and electrical blackouts.

According to several Kmart shoppers who voiced their experiences on social media, the Electric Frypan ($29), previously priced at $32, has been malfunctioning to the point of causing dangerous incidents.

One user recounted a harrowing experience where the fry pan 'blew up' shortly after being plugged in, leading to an electrical blackout.

1721261460014.png
Kmart shoppers reported issues with an electric fry pan. Credit: Kmart

'I plugged this electric fry pan in, and as it was heating for a couple of seconds, I stepped aside to grab my ingredients. Lucky I did, as it randomly blew up and caused a blackout,’ one wrote.

‘Lucky nobody was injured or anywhere near it at the time! Has anyone else had this happen, or was it just a faulty one?’

‘We’ve had the Kmart version before, and it lasted a long time. I lost the receipt, so can’t return. We’ve since chucked it. Very scary and odd!’

Kmart customers mentioned that, even without a receipt, they would return the item to inform the store about the associated dangers and ensure the store is aware of the issue.

‘Even without the receipt, I'd take it back. They will see it hasn't been used very often,’ one suggested.

‘So dangerous... glad you moved away when you did.’ another said.

Other customers have reported similar issues, with one stating that their fry pan caught fire where the metal connector plugs into the pan.

Despite returning the product and lodging a complaint with Kmart's head office, they felt that the response needed to be more adequate and that no significant action had been taken.

‘I ended up taking it back and complained with head office, and they called me but haven't done anything about it.’ one shared.

‘It was the second one I had. [the] first one just tripped the safety switch and blew up the machine. The second one caught fire.’

While some customers have bravely attempted to return the faulty items, others have encountered resistance from store managers who seemed reluctant to acknowledge the severity of the situation.

This lack of responsiveness is concerning and suggests a need for greater retailer accountability regarding the safety of their products.

On the flip side, it's worth noting that not all reviews of the Kmart electric fry pan are negative.

A social media user gave the product a glowing 5-star review, emphasising good heat coverage and satisfactory performance when used at the correct temperature.

The item boasts a 4.5/5 star rating online, though some reviews echo concerns about its longevity and safety.

In related news, a mother of three warned other shoppers after the Anko brand Sherpa Heated Throw ($39) from Kmart 'exploded' in her daughter's hands.

The incident happened the day after the heated throw was purchased, causing the house's electricity supply to trip. You can read more about the incident here.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart shoppers have reported issues with an electric fry pan, with at least one customer claiming it 'blew up' and caused an electrical blackout.
  • Despite not having a receipt, customers are encouraged to return the faulty product to Kmart for a refund or replacement.
  • Some people shared similar experiences on social media, where one fry pan caught fire, and others caused power outages.
  • Online reviews of the fry pan are mixed, with a good overall star rating but some reviews indicating a short lifespan and safety concerns.
Have you ever encountered a dangerous situation with an appliance? How did you handle it, and what advice would you give to fellow seniors? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored