Airlines apologise after distressing plane incident leaves passengers in pain

Travelling by air has become a common mode of transportation for many, offering the convenience of quick transit across vast distances.

However, the skies are not always friendly, and a recent incident aboard a budget US flight has raised concerns about passenger safety and the potential risks associated with air travel.

On a seemingly routine Delta flight departing from Salt Lake City, Utah, bound for Portland, Oregon, passengers were subjected to a terrifying ordeal when the aircraft encountered pressurisation issues at 10,000 feet.

The malfunction led to multiple passengers suffering from ruptured eardrums and bloody noses, turning the cabin into a scene of distress and panic.

1726794039513.png
Several passengers on a Delta flight experienced ruptured eardrums and bloody noses from pressurisation problems. Credit: Shutterstock

Jaci Purser, a passenger on the ill-fated flight, recounted the harrowing experience to a local TV station, KSL.

She described a 'stabbing' pain in her ear, followed by the shocking sight of blood when she touched it.

‘I grabbed my ear, and then I pulled my hand back, and there was blood on it,’ she said.

The pressure in the cabin had become so intense that it caused her ear to pop and then bubble.

The Boeing aircraft, carrying 140 passengers, could not pressurise above 10,000 feet, and the oxygen masks failed to deploy, adding to the chaos.

Caryn Allen, another passenger, witnessed her husband clutching his ears in pain and observed a fellow traveller with a severely bloody nose as others rushed to assist him.

‘I looked over at my husband, and he had both of his hands over his ears, you know, kind of leaning forward,’ she said.

As the plane dipped and the situation escalated, the pilot returned to Salt Lake International Airport.

Upon landing, at least ten individuals required medical evaluation or treatment, although, fortunately, no serious injuries were reported.

‘We sincerely apologise to our customers for their experience on flight 1203 on 15 September,’ Delta Airlines apologised.

‘The flight crew followed procedures to return to SLC where our teams on the ground supported our customers with their immediate needs.’

The airline assured that the flight crew followed proper procedures to ensure a safe return to the airport.

Those on the flight were accommodated on another aircraft while Delta technicians addressed and resolved the pressurisation issue.

The plane was deemed fit for service and returned to the skies the following day.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified of the incident and is investigating to prevent similar occurrences.

In other news, several Australian passengers faced a troubling situation when a Qatar Airways flight began to emit smoke on the tarmac.

They boarded the aircraft without being notified about a prior incident involving smoke from one of the engines. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Multiple passengers on a Delta flight suffered ruptured eardrums and bloody noses due to pressurisation issues.
  • The incident occurred on a flight from Salt Lake City to Portland, Oregon, and oxygen masks failed to deploy when the aircraft couldn't pressurise above 10,000 feet.
  • At least ten people required medical evaluation or treatment after the flight returned to Salt Lake International Airport, though no serious injuries were reported.
  • Delta Airlines apologised for the incident, and the affected aircraft was fixed and returned to service the next day. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the matter.
Have you ever encountered a similar situation? Do you have concerns about flying? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I lost my hearing flying home from Melbourne many years ago on a Qantas flight. I think it had something to do with pressurisation. Had to go immediately to the hospital to see an ENT who put grommets in my ears to open them up. He said never to fly again, which I haven't.

I lost my hearing flying home from Melbourne many years ago on a Qantas flight. I think it had something to do with pressurisation. Had to go immediately to the hospital to see an ENT who put grommets in my ears to open them up. He said never to fly again, which I haven't.
l hate flying

Reactions: Liz and Robeo56
l hate flying
Me too. Flying doesn’t scare me as I refuse to think about all the things that could go wrong, but it’s so tedious. I dislike having to be confined for hours. Our flight to Perth is direct from Launceston so takes an estimated four & a half hours so not looking forward to it at all. I certainly couldn’t cope with taking the ferry & having to drive either. It’s what I dislike most about living in Tasmania, you either fly to see loved ones or stay home.

Me too. Flying doesn’t scare me as I refuse to think about all the things that could go wrong, but it’s so tedious. I dislike having to be confined for hours. Our flight to Perth is direct from Launceston so takes an estimated four & a half hours so not looking forward to it at all. I certainly couldn’t cope with taking the ferry & having to drive either. It’s what I dislike most about living in Tasmania, you either fly to see loved ones or stay home.
l don't like being closed in either and just having to sit for so long. l prefer going by ferry and travelling by road . Might buy a motorised van but nowadays you would have to watch someone doesn't attack you on the lonely roads if you stopped .Prehaps l'm just a scarycat!

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
Around 1982/83 My team of 14 and I flew to Darwin to do installations at Jabiru Uranium Mine.
We had a terrific flight up there, no problems with the aircraft, but a problem with supply.
The aircraft actually ran out of full strength 🍺🍺
We were dreading the return flight back in 10 weeks, and were planning on bringing on plane our own 🍺🍺
Happily, the plane was well stocked.🍻
That is the only issue I've ever had with flying, to date, "touch wood"😼😼

As far as I am concerned an ill-fated flight is one that crashes and people are killed not one that has pressurization problems. Please SDC do not over sensationalize items!!!