Xe

Oct 7, 2021
AIBU for telling my husband he overreacted over a piece of cake?

Is She Unreasonable? Comment Below.

My husband (M32) and I (F24) are expecting our first baby together (I'm 7 months in). My inlaws are lovely people. My mother-in-law had some not so major fight with her husband and has been staying with us for a few days. Her birthday was yesterday and because of her emotional and mental state, my husband decided to throw her a surprise party and invite his siblings.

He got everything ready and I was home alone when the cake arrived from the bakery. To give info, the cake was big and had my mother-in-law's favorite flavor (strawberry). I asked my husband for some snacks I was craving really badly but he didn't get them. To be honest I got a bit tempted whenever I looked at the cake and decided to cut a small piece of it. I didn't think it was a big deal till my husband saw it and flipped out asking why I ruined the cake and cur a piece of it. I said I was sorry but was craving something sweet. He said that was supposed to be his mother's birthday cake and I embarrassed him by taking a piece of it instead of waiting till the party in just a few hours.

I said he should have been the one to handle it if he didn't think I was up to the task but he went off saying he couldn't believe how childish I was with 0 impulse control to be blaming him instead of checking myself and not be unsupportive. This made me upset because there was a ton of other stuff he asked me to do and I did it. He kept arguing saying I just caused him the price of the cake and an utter embarrassment when his mom sees that I ate from her cake.

I looked at him and told him he overreacted over a piece of cake and asked if a piece of cake was more important than his son and that I was sure his mom will understand that I took my piece of cake in advance because I really couldn't help myself but he said this wasn't about me and I have to just admit I messed up and ruined his work then went upstairs.

I refused to come out of the room to celebrate after he told me to stay there and I explained to his mom what happened and she didn't say anything though I noticed she was bothered. He keeps telling me to apologize otherwise he won't speak to me nor acknowledge my presence in the house. AIBU?