Xe

Oct 7, 2021
AIBU for refusing to take in my ex’s purebred dog, resulting in the dog going to the pound and getting adopted out almost immediately?

In the final 2 months of our 3-year but quickly dissolving relationship, my ex bought a 2-month-old purebred Labrador retriever puppy to the tune of $1200.

For the sake of clarity, we both knew our relationship was in the end stages but neither of us was ready to deal with the final break. We talked about the dog and I was fine with it, but she would pay for it and everything associated with it was in her name. We also had 3 cats that I adopted from the local APL, they were all in my name and I paid for their care and so on. The dog was hers, cats were mine.

The cats were absolutely terrified of the dog which hastened the end of our relationship, the cats came with me and moved out. Overall amicable separation, but we did not keep in contact. I never asked about the dog, nor did she about my cats.

Two years later, she gets in touch with me and asks me to take in “our dog” for “some time”. She was moving in with her boyfriend, who I had since learned she had been seeing before we broke up, and his apartment didn’t allow pets. She asked that I take care of “our dog” until they bought a house together.

I said no. She asked why, I said I didn’t want to. She tried to talk about how I cared for the dog and that he was part of my family too, etc, etc. Look, I liked the dog well enough and was more than happy to take care of him while I lived with her, but I don’t want a dog for any amount of time. I have 4 cats now, my own house, an unpredictable work schedule, and no desire for a dog, and the increased responsibility that comes with one. I told her to look for long-term boarding kennels, she said she would never.

Eventually, she straight up begged me saying they were going to buy a home ASAP but how long I was to look after him could be anywhere from a week to a few months.

I said no, final answer. She blocked me and I went about my life. A few days ago she unblocked me and unleashed a textual barrage to the effect that I had gotten her dog taken away from her and I owed her the price she paid for him. Apparently, she surrendered him to the local APL, believing they would just hold him for her.

Anyway, the dog was adopted out very quickly and unsurprisingly. A well-mannered purebred dog at the local APL? Few and far between. Why she didn’t, you know, board him somewhere is a great question. Like I said I suggested it, but I’m also the devil so she disregarded it immediately.

Some of my family who knew her while we were together think I’m unreasonable. Am I?

Source: www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/qz41ze/

In the final 2 months of our 3-year but quickly dissolving relationship, my ex bought a 2-month-old purebred Labrador retriever puppy to the tune of $1200.

For the sake of clarity, we both knew our relationship was in the end stages but neither of us was ready to deal with the final break. We talked about the dog and I was fine with it, but she would pay for it and everything associated with it was in her name. We also had 3 cats that I adopted from the local APL, they were all in my name and I paid for their care and so on. The dog was hers, cats were mine.

The cats were absolutely terrified of the dog which hastened the end of our relationship, the cats came with me and moved out. Overall amicable separation, but we did not keep in contact. I never asked about the dog, nor did she about my cats.

Two years later, she gets in touch with me and asks me to take in “our dog” for “some time”. She was moving in with her boyfriend, who I had since learned she had been seeing before we broke up, and his apartment didn’t allow pets. She asked that I take care of “our dog” until they bought a house together.

I said no. She asked why, I said I didn’t want to. She tried to talk about how I cared for the dog and that he was part of my family too, etc, etc. Look, I liked the dog well enough and was more than happy to take care of him while I lived with her, but I don’t want a dog for any amount of time. I have 4 cats now, my own house, an unpredictable work schedule, and no desire for a dog, and the increased responsibility that comes with one. I told her to look for long-term boarding kennels, she said she would never.

Eventually, she straight up begged me saying they were going to buy a home ASAP but how long I was to look after him could be anywhere from a week to a few months.

I said no, final answer. She blocked me and I went about my life. A few days ago she unblocked me and unleashed a textual barrage to the effect that I had gotten her dog taken away from her and I owed her the price she paid for him. Apparently, she surrendered him to the local APL, believing they would just hold him for her.

Anyway, the dog was adopted out very quickly and unsurprisingly. A well-mannered purebred dog at the local APL? Few and far between. Why she didn’t, you know, board him somewhere is a great question. Like I said I suggested it, but I’m also the devil so she disregarded it immediately.

Some of my family who knew her while we were together think I’m unreasonable. Am I?

Source: www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/qz41ze/