SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Athena E.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 1, 2023
AIBU 23.09.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/SensitiveHat8490:

Am I being unreasonable for having my neighbour’s cars towed from my garage?

'I’m building a house in a relatively new neighbourhood. Most houses are already occupied, and my place is one of the few still under construction. The exterior is nearly done, and the contractors are working on the drywall. After finishing up one night, I drove out to check on the work. Everything seemed fine until I checked my garage and found two cars and a minivan parked inside it.'

'I called the contractor, but he didn’t know who they belonged to either. I figured one of the neighbours might’ve parked there to avoid some potential hail. At first, I tried to ignore it, but the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. By the time I reached my car, I was fuming. I decided to call a tow company and had all three vehicles towed.'

'The next morning, my contractor told me the police were investigating the stolen vehicles. I explained to the police that I owned the property and had the cars towed. My contractor later said the car owners were yelling at them until the police told them to leave. When I went by after work, one of the owners confronted me, saying I’d ruined their day because they missed work and their kids were late for school. He claimed it cost nearly $1,000 to get the cars back and said I should cover it. I told him good luck with that and that he was the one in the wrong for parking in my garage without permission. We argued until his wife came and took him home.'

'Some other neighbours watched the argument and later told me I was starting off on the wrong foot. They said I should apologise and be more neighbourly, suggesting I should’ve left a note instead of calling the tow company. It seems like everyone’s against me.'

'I can see their point so maybe I overreacted? I’m not sure.'

The owner of the new construction is correct. Some people are just plain rude and ignorant and think they are entitled to do whatever they like. Where did they park before the house was being built? You certainly don't park in someone's garage whilst someone is building a new home. Sod off and park in the street. When we had a new home built the garage was used for storage by the builders and if anyone had parked their cars in it, I would have had them towed away as well.

bad luck,,, cars wrong spot wrong time and they foot the bill.. if it had of been me,,, i would have wheel locked them then put my phone number on the windscreens,, when they rang i would have told them i was over seas and wouldn't be back till next month,,,, also i would have blocked them in with concrete barriers;;;
the neighbors say you should apologize.. Apologize for what the car owners stupidity ..... bad luck they lose

They actually trespassed!!!!

But if I was him I would have knocked on the neighbours doors to find out who the cars belonged to. I would have then asked them to move them and not park on my property again !

If I couldn't find the owners I would have left a note on the cars. If it happened again I would have then called the police ( or I may have left blocks of nails )

I think they rushed it a bit calling the police .

I wonder where this took place 🤔

By the use of the term "Drywall" can we safely assume this to be another American story 'lifted' by SDC?

Under Australian Trade Practice law, the act of someone else placing their own vehicle on your property could be construed as a gift to you, rather like when an encyclopaedia company (remember THEM?) mails you unsolicited goods. Could get a bit tricky if you try to sell the vehicle, though..... I'd certainly be charging the parker/s a substantial rent for their trouble. Calling the towies is probably a fair thing if you notify the Police of what has happened and give them the location to which the vehicles have been towed.

Being, however, what appears to be a story from Across The Pond, with the 'Murican propensity for gun violence, I'm rather surprised that the putative author hasn't wound up on a mortuary slab?..... Then again, in quite a few Australian suburbs I wouldn't discount that possibility either.

Well maybe the people who owned the cars should have been more friendly before trespassing on someone’s property. I feel a slight overreaction in his part. I would have placed barriers across the door do they could not access their cars and charged parking fee

Reactions: relljube and Dynamo
The owner of the new construction is correct. Some people are just plain rude and ignorant and think they are entitled to do whatever they like. Where did they park before the house was being built? You certainly don't park in someone's garage whilst someone is building a new home. Sod off and park in the street. When we had a new home built the garage was used for storage by the builders and if anyone had parked their cars in it, I would have had them towed away as well.

Reactions: Dynamo
By the use of the term "Drywall" can we safely assume this to be another American story 'lifted' by SDC?

Under Australian Trade Practice law, the act of someone else placing their own vehicle on your property could be construed as a gift to you, rather like when an encyclopaedia company (remember THEM?) mails you unsolicited goods. Could get a bit tricky if you try to sell the vehicle, though..... I'd certainly be charging the parker/s a substantial rent for their trouble. Calling the towies is probably a fair thing if you notify the Police of what has happened and give them the location to which the vehicles have been towed.

Being, however, what appears to be a story from Across The Pond, with the 'Murican propensity for gun violence, I'm rather surprised that the putative author hasn't wound up on a mortuary slab?..... Then again, in quite a few Australian suburbs I wouldn't discount that possibility either.
Agree this story has appeared before think they're trying to fill space

Reactions: Michelle Sc
well what a tale, the vehicle owners were fortunate that this fellow only did what he did, now if it was me , the cars and contents, would have been sent off to the local scrap yard, and me picking up the money paid for those items,gives anybody an idea what his future neigbors are prenenting themsaelves.b Beleive the idiots responsible are lucking to get off with the outcome that this fellows actions.

Some people just can't help acting like right Burkes.
If the shoe was on the other foot, how would they feel if someone decided to park in their garage.
Sometimes, one has to lay clear boundaries straight away. If someone behaves in such a manner before you move in, it is most likely there will be other things to cause grief later on.

When we were building houses, it was always mandatory to have security fencing around the new property until completion. If that was the case here, then Health & Safety comes into play if someone decides to be a cowboy and move the fencing. If fencing was not up, I would wonder why. Yet another side to the coin.

In the end. Your house, your liability if something happens, get rid of the problem.