SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Danielle G.

Danielle G.

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 23, 2024
AIBU 23.08.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/annoyed_parker:

Am I being unreasonable for not moving my car for someone who was filming?

'So I came home from work one day to find a note taped to my door by a neighbor.'

'It said: Please do not park on this block on Monday between 10am and 12pm. I will be filming on the street. The police has been notified and you will be ticketed.'

'I found this annoying, and a little suspect, so I called my local precinct to ask them about this. They told me this guy had called them, and they told him while he can film on the street, he cannot tell people not to park there, and the police cannot help him.'

'I guess I wasn't the only person to call the police and this got back to him because I found another note the next day.'

'It read: Hi, the police actually didn't tell me that they will ticket your car, but I would appreciate your cooperation.'

'I don't take kindly to false threats, so I decided not to move my car on Monday morning. Unlike a lot of the city, my neighbourhood is pretty quiet and I live in a very residential part of it, so it's pretty easy to park on my block. I often see driving instructors teaching lessons here because of how quiet the neighbourhood is.'

'When I was walking to the subway before 10am on Monday the guy was set up and he saw me walking down the road. He asked me if any of the cars were mine, and if I would mind moving it. I said one of the cars was mine, and I would not be moving it.'

'He told me I'd be doing him a favor. I told him that if he hadn't lied when he posted his first note, I might have considered it, but I'm definitely not doing it now. He asked me again, and I said no.'

'He called me a jerk and a bad neighbour. I just told him to deal with it and continued walking. Am I being unreasonable?'

Last edited:
It might have been nice if this man knocked on your door and explained the reason why he didn't want anyone parking there on that day and time. I am sure if he had a good reason you might have said no problem.
He was wrong threatening you.
So l can understand you being cross and not giving into him. Maybe you both could have dealt with it a little better when you seen each other.
Kind regards Vicki

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
Why was he filming there? Did he give you any explanation? The Police wouldn't be issuing parking fines unless it was in an illegal space. It is usually councils that issue parking fines. You are allowed to park in front of your own property unless there are signs or the road surface is correctly painted. Also in some areas houses no longer have parking space on their property

Reactions: DLHM and BellaB18
Yes a personal approach would have been nice.
My question, because it wasn't mentioned is, was the note even signed by the neighbour? All too often notes are left in a letterbox or on a front door without a signature because the writer doesn't have the gumption to do so.
That's a NO from me to the question.

Reactions: BellaB18