SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
AIBU 22.04.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Noididintthrowyurkid:

Am I being unreasonable for not lying to the police for my family?

'I need some serious opinions on a situation that's tearing me apart. My family has always been close-knit... But lately, they've been swimming in deep waters.'

'The other day, the police showed up at our doorstep, asking questions about some seriously dodgy stuff my family is involved in. And let me tell you, it's not just a little white lie or a minor misunderstanding. We're talking about full-on criminal activity here.'

'So basically, my family got caught up in this business venture that turned out to be a front for all sorts of illegal activities. We're talking about fraud, money laundering, you name it. It's the kind of stuff that could make headlines and ruin lives.'

'Now, when the cops came knocking, my family immediately went into panic mode. They started freaking out and my father answered the door in like a fake white suburban father act, acting like he had no idea what happened and agreed to get questioned, and he apparently had actual forged papers and passports in the house at the time... That's all I knew.'

'Part of me understands where they're coming from. They're scared, desperate, and willing to do whatever it takes to stay out of prison. They're my family, so I feel this sense of loyalty pulling me in their direction. But on the other hand, I can't ignore my own safety. I believe that if I do this I might get brought into their problem. Lying to the police would just put me in this crazy ordeal.'

'So now, I'm stuck in the middle of this mess, torn between loyalty to my family and staying true to myself. They see me as betraying them, abandoning them when they need me the most. I feel really guilty for potentially throwing them under the bus. They are making me feel like I'm betraying them by not helping.'

'At the end of the day, I can't shake the feeling that maybe my family is not who I thought they were. I'm lost and could really use some outside opinions.'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

If they are directly involved in criminal activity, they have forfeited the right to ask you to help them.

You have to consider the victims of their behaviour as much or even more than your own future.

A witness who withholds evidence is effectively an accessory to the crime.

If you are in danger of physical violence from them or their criminal associates, then proceed carefully.

But, if they are as deeply involved as you suggest, don't expect to avoid the suspicion of guilt if you do nothing.

No good me trying to lie for anyone. I go bright red in the face and can't look at whoever is asking the questions. Family shouldn't do that to you anyway.

Reactions: Jennie
How could one possibly turn a blind eye?
If you know something, honesty is the only way to go.
Apart from the morality of things, it wouldn't take much to be charged with aiding and abetting, only to end up in trouble yourself.
Most of the time, someone who asks you do do such a thing is asking out of selfishness. Suddently, there is a fear of what might happen. They took the risk, they have to pay the price, not you.
Family is not always a guarantee for someone having your best interests at heart. If they cared about you, they would not ask.