SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
AIBU 13.05.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/@EmphasisExisting54.

Am I being unreasonable for asking my husband if he did anything for Mother’s Day?

'My husband (42 years old) and I (35 years old) had a son last year, so this is my first Mother’s Day. We both work remotely.'

'Back in April, he was on a business trip for a few weeks, while I held down the fort (working remotely while taking care of our baby). He’s not the kind of person to care about holidays... '

'Two weeks ago, a few days after he got home, I told him I cared about Mother’s Day and what I wanted for Mother’s Day—a couple of small things including pictures, a new thermos, and to do something together as a family. We’ve had a busy couple of weeks with him settling back in. He does look after the baby a lot, but I take bedtime and nighttime duty and do a lot during the day. We both cook a lot, and we both do a lot of the chores.'

'On Mother’s Day, I woke up early to feed the baby. My husband was a little awake, so I asked him if I should expect anything for Mother’s Day and if he got anything ready. This is because I honestly would prefer to know so I’m not disappointed. He told me "When would I have the chance?” And started getting upset. On the one hand, I didn’t want him feeling bad, but on the other hand, he has had two whole weeks to do something, and he could have told me he needed to spend more time out and I would have looked after baby while he did Mother’s Day errands.'

'He got really upset with me and told me that he never had time. I asked him if we could come back to this conversation later, and that I was sure we would do something for Mother’s Day. But I don’t know if my tone was right as he got very upset and said that I was abusive, because I was always doing things like this and making him feel really bad.'

'I apologised and said I never wanted to hurt his feelings, but he scoffed at that and asked if he should expect this for the rest of his life. Then I asked him to step out of the room to calm down while I got the baby back to sleep. After some more back and forth he did, and I’m sitting here writing this now. I honestly try to be reasonable and listen carefully to what people I love say, but I feel like I’m crazy right now.'

'Am I being unreasonable?'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

Well dear, you have a chance to drive home what Mothers day means. In September we have Father Day, give him the same consideration as he has given you.