SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 12.07.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/OkRecommendation1408:

Am I being unreasonable for telling my parents to ask their foster children for help instead of me?

'Growing up (I'm 34 now), my parents became foster parents, which I admired for helping kids in need. Unfortunately, I felt neglected because they focused more on those kids than on me, assuming I was independent.

Luckily, my grandparents stepped in. They stopped giving me material gifts and instead took me on outings like movies, meals, and trips. My dad's parents took me to Disneyland, and my mum's took me to NYC. My parents wanted the money spent on these outings to go to them, but I asked my grandparents not to.

At 17, I moved out, graduated early, and joined a trade, thanks to my union member grandfather. I've been in the trade for 17 years and doing well.

Now, my parents are struggling with the stress of fostering and financial strain. They've asked for help, but I've refused, concerned they'll use it for the foster kids. My mum's disappointed, saying she raised me better, but I feel I raised myself since age eight. My grandparents are also financially stretched, with my parents owing them money.

My wife understands but thinks I'm harsh. My mum thinks I'm holding onto childhood grudges. I won't talk to my dad, assuming he still gives my things to new foster kids. Am I being unreasonable?'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

We fostered for many years, with 8 of those years running a children's home caring for up to 12 children at any given time. One day I heard my youngest tell someone she wished it was just her, she was 7 at the time so I gave up fostering and spent more time getting to know Shannan better. There are times when one's family comes first the trick is knowing when that is.

Get over yourself….you’re an adult, start acting like one…you are not a child….
Just hope you are not there with you hands out when your father passes…I would leave you nothing….growup!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Michelle1967
Get over yourself….you’re an adult, start acting like one…you are not a child….
Just hope you are not there with you hands out when your father passes…I would leave you nothing….growup!!!
His parents are also adults, why do they have their hand out. Even borrowed from their parents. He is the one who will help his grandparents I bet as they took the time to bring him up. Let the foster kids do it for the people that took care of them.