SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 05.04.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Flashy-Guarantee-930:

Am I being unreasonable for not giving financially towards my son’s wedding?

My oldest son, who's 22 years old, is getting married in June. Financially, my husband and I have supported him a lot throughout his life. We're not wealthy; we're lower middle class and have three other boys to care for, two of whom are adults, and one is 16. We can't afford to provide for them the same way we have for our oldest.

We've given him several things, like his first car, because he helped out a lot and drove his brothers around. Unfortunately, he didn't take care of it, and it got ruined. The same thing happened with other vehicles we lent him.

To settle things, my husband decided to give him our company vehicle, and we're taking him off our car insurance. We simply can't keep supporting him financially.

However, he still expects us to pay for expenses related to the wedding, like the tuxedo. Now, he's even asking us to pay for his honeymoon, which is too much for us.

I find his entitlement shocking. While I've contributed by helping with wedding arrangements and paying for part of the wedding shower, we have other children to consider, and we can't afford to keep footing the bill for things he should be paying for himself as an adult.

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

When we married in 1972, my wife made the bride's gown & bridesmaids too as she had been a seamstress. She also catered for our small reception. I hired my own suit & paid for drinks. After my dad found he knew one of the taxi drivers l was given a discount on these. We were both 19. (Our first child was born 14 months later).

The wedding gift from my parents was a fridge l grew up with & was possibly 15 years old & had had repairs in that time. Approx 12 months after receiving this it broke down & we needed to buy a new fridge.

Our parents paid for very little. At that time it was traditional that the bride's parents paid for the reception & the groom's parents the drinks.

Reactions: MariaG