Afraid of flying? This pilot has five tips for you!

Flying is an exhilarating experience — barring frustrating experiences with luggage and fellow passengers.

When you think about it, it’s amazing to be inside a winged metal tube zooming around the Earth and able to travel thousands of kilometres in a day.

If you’re the type to prefer window seats, one glance at the window while on a flight can treat you to the most wonderful sceneries the world has to offer.

But for a select few, flying is a very anxious experience.

It can be immensely terrifying to be trapped thousands of feet above the ground, one malfunction away from a fiery death.

There isn’t any cure-all that can completely wipe away some people’s fears, but there are plenty of ways to battle the stress and nerves that may come along with flying.

Thankfully, one pilot shared some tips to help people conquer their fear.

Captain Morgan (no, not the tasty drink) is a 32-year-old airline pilot who frequently shows off her flying skills on social media.

SLUL1xjye60Jbw-kuQL3RG_27e3wn-tRLIrDruxQ-Xyepd3GbgqexMVq7gC_Fr62Qh6XpY1gb0zT5-OD17xonCQnJaSYlBULIR0J5m_sX866QMvJRg-iNp2GnySUEYi5_zP-va4B8PkVtunMgd1gDxdVCKk5zKW0FifpaJSH_GNbwVVHL20b8aGoXjjJ

Captain Morgan is a Boeing 737 pilot who shares snippets of her life on social media. Credit:
TikTok/@almostcaptainmorgan

In one post on TikTok, she shared five ways to combat anxiety while flying.

Without further ado…

Okay, the first tip from Captain Morgan: book a seat in front of the plane.

Or, if you prefer, sit near the wing!

‘You’ll feel the effects of turbulence less if you sit over the wing, or towards the front,’ she said.

Turbulence is used to describe ‘chaotic’ patches of air aeroplanes sometimes encounter while flying. Passengers usually feel this as an intense rocking motion followed by periods of calm.

For the inexperienced or anxious, they can be quite frightening!

The second item in Captain Morgan’s list also has something to do with turbulence.

‘Try and fly early in the morning,’ she said. ‘There’s usually less turbulence and airports and aeroplanes are less crowded.’

According to her, this is a prime opportunity for those who value personal space, considering fewer people are jostling around!

And speaking of people, Captain Morgan then suggested to have a travel buddy.

A travel buddy is someone you could regularly keep in touch with while on a flight.

With most aeroplanes offering free texting (through wifi), she says it’s one way you could have moral support and a distraction from flying.

Source: YouTube/Luke Crisp

‘Familiarise yourself with the sounds of the plane,’ she said next.

Captain Morgan explained: ‘For example, when you’re getting close to the airport, the “thud” you’re hearing is usually just the landing gear coming down.’

Turbulence can also cause loud sounds within the aeroplane, so if ever you’re rattled on your next flight, just tell yourself ‘It’s just turbulence.’

And her last tip: ‘Introduce yourself to the flight crew.’

Captain Morgan says this way, they can keep an eye on you whenever you’re feeling anxious.

But don’t stop with the crew, maybe even ask the pilot, if you’re up for it!

‘They can tell you a little bit more about the flight if we’re expecting turbulence.’

As a bonus, she said they’d likely even give you an impromptu tour of the flight deck and entertain other questions you might have.

Key Takeaways

• An airline pilot named Captain Morgan has offered her five tips to help nervous travellers overcome the fear of flying.
  • The tips include the best time to fly, perfect seating arrangement and how to distract yourself at 30,000ft.
  • Anxious flyers can also try breathing exercises as one way to relax during flights.
Captain Morgan’s post garnered thousands of reactions from users who found her tips useful.

‘Thank you for these tips! I’m a nervous wreck and I get super anxious when I fly!’ a user said.

Another added: ‘I’m such a nervous flyer and you are making me feel so much better.’

Others even offered their ways to cope with flight anxiety.

‘I started writing on paper with my left hand because it’s supposed to make your brain focus on that instead of turbulence,’ one user shared.

‘Number six: Xanax,’ another said, referring to medication used to treat anxiety.

V-OTxp9Is3etZ2gZQFEI6JG7RtvMo-gwYcpR7agTrRK8MDFMq0RYcIK6cyUuJ7pDxOrtll2SyzfIoA_ovTkvbwnf4UIpKv64H90M0w63XZOF4OWtmegB3edgnSFFkIQMdueengzn1bpfa6y98q8Gokf9PSd-OIWxYlXtoJBlrnp0OLg77OGADjv59xZ-

Captain Morgan said anxious flyers should also talk to flight crew so they can keep an eye out during stressful situations. Credit:
Cabin Crew HQ

Another useful tip to help fight anxiety is by breathing deeply in and out repeatedly — but never force yourself to relax though!

It might sound weird, but adding pressure on yourself to loosen up can have the unintended consequence of stressing you out further.

On your next flight, be sure to remember Captain Morgan’s tips to beat flight anxiety for a less stressful trip.

Are there any other tips you could offer those who are afraid of flying on aeroplanes? How do you deal with anxiety while travelling?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: TikTok/@almostcaptainmorgan

Sponsored
I get hugely anxious when flying, so much so that I feel quite sick and I forget to breathe! I avoid flying if possible, but if I have to fly, my doctor gives me a prescription for Valium to take before flying. It helps a little. All the issues around Covid, lost luggage and poor service just make me more determined to steer clear of flying!

Reactions: Ricci
I find flying intensely boring, it's just like a bus ride but up in the air and without the luxury of being able to stop, get out and stretch your legs. I find a bit of turbulence livens up the journey and makes it more bearable!! :)