Advocacy group urges ban on wood fire heaters due to health hazards for asthma sufferers

With winter well and truly upon us, many Australians are reaching for their wood fire heaters to keep warm. However, one group is calling for a ban on these heaters, citing the potential health impacts on asthma sufferers.

Asthma Australia chief executive Michele Goldman warned people of the possible life-threatening consequences of using wood fire heaters for asthma sufferers, urging retailers to phase them out.

RpFfTB8x5AfQ2aW8N22xrwfq8XkCJUvjvVM-UDgbnDuEG6pMStIm3e6WSBDWbbOpXcBoBzXdBbD1nUug_fWrjLb9xc1xH2nswDn8LTolHOMKfdrviDV9HnfHbglKxgVPMJ2UM9Ms0O3TUO59

A group has called for a ban on wood fire heaters due to their effects on asthma sufferers. Credit: news.com.au.

She said: “We have calls all the time during the winter months from people who are frustrated, feeling helpless, angry, because neighbouring homes are burning their wood heaters.”

“The smoke gets into their own homes – so it’s not even just about not being able to walk in the street – and it causes asthma symptoms, then you’ve got flare-ups and trips to the hospital.”

Wood fire heaters could be phased out in favour of cleaner alternatives, according to Michele Goldman, and suggested they be banned from new builds in denser urban areas as a starting point.

FukXg7m_FfzZHFqr9WAKY_LD9Xid_fiaj3re-09g03iC4ICo8gf1OchAk8gSj4OM7EA9hY3CyAqPrSJg32BCP6LkFThBKZ4BtYZHrYlJSi0tnwysgln3g-MooeXyO2Wxu6altuK36_vOSHqK

It was said that the federal government could phase out wood fire heaters by banning them from new builds in more dense urban areas. Credit: Australian Home Heating Association.

It should be noted that the Victorian government is offering a subsidy of $1000 to low-income households to replace their old heaters with energy-efficient reverse-cycle systems.

“No one needs to be left in a situation where they can’t heat their home, but reverse cycle airconditioning is cheaper, it’s more environmentally friendly and it’s a healthier option,” Ms Goldman quipped.

According to a study conducted by Asthma Australia in 2021, it was revealed that most Australians are in favour of regulations to phase out wood fire heaters, with over three-quarters or 77 per cent of the survey participants agreeing that wood fire heaters should be banned in urban or built-up areas.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you in favour of the total ban on wood fire heaters? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Advocacy group urges ban on wood fire heaters due to health hazards for asthma sufferers

With winter well and truly upon us, many Australians are reaching for their wood fire heaters to keep warm. However, one group is calling for a ban on these heaters, citing the potential health impacts on asthma sufferers.

Asthma Australia chief executive Michele Goldman warned people of the possible life-threatening consequences of using wood fire heaters for asthma sufferers, urging retailers to phase them out.

RpFfTB8x5AfQ2aW8N22xrwfq8XkCJUvjvVM-UDgbnDuEG6pMStIm3e6WSBDWbbOpXcBoBzXdBbD1nUug_fWrjLb9xc1xH2nswDn8LTolHOMKfdrviDV9HnfHbglKxgVPMJ2UM9Ms0O3TUO59

A group has called for a ban on wood fire heaters due to their effects on asthma sufferers. Credit: news.com.au.

She said: “We have calls all the time during the winter months from people who are frustrated, feeling helpless, angry, because neighbouring homes are burning their wood heaters.”

“The smoke gets into their own homes – so it’s not even just about not being able to walk in the street – and it causes asthma symptoms, then you’ve got flare-ups and trips to the hospital.”

Wood fire heaters could be phased out in favour of cleaner alternatives, according to Michele Goldman, and suggested they be banned from new builds in denser urban areas as a starting point.

FukXg7m_FfzZHFqr9WAKY_LD9Xid_fiaj3re-09g03iC4ICo8gf1OchAk8gSj4OM7EA9hY3CyAqPrSJg32BCP6LkFThBKZ4BtYZHrYlJSi0tnwysgln3g-MooeXyO2Wxu6altuK36_vOSHqK

It was said that the federal government could phase out wood fire heaters by banning them from new builds in more dense urban areas. Credit: Australian Home Heating Association.

It should be noted that the Victorian government is offering a subsidy of $1000 to low-income households to replace their old heaters with energy-efficient reverse-cycle systems.

“No one needs to be left in a situation where they can’t heat their home, but reverse cycle airconditioning is cheaper, it’s more environmentally friendly and it’s a healthier option,” Ms Goldman quipped.

According to a study conducted by Asthma Australia in 2021, it was revealed that most Australians are in favour of regulations to phase out wood fire heaters, with over three-quarters or 77 per cent of the survey participants agreeing that wood fire heaters should be banned in urban or built-up areas.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you in favour of the total ban on wood fire heaters? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!
I do not think they should be banned . How many choices are we going to loose we are not in Russia.

I do not think they should be banned . How many choices are we going to loose we are not in
I do not think they should be banned . How many choices are we going to loose we are not in Russia.
I’m struggling with Asthma because of all the wood heaters and low lying fog, I wouldn’t like to see them disappear though, the best form of heating, I’m also an air conditioner installer.

I do not use mine anymore because of cost and difficulty getting the right wood. BUT I do love walking outside on a chilly evening or frosty morning to smell the wonderful smell of wood burning stoves and heaters of neighbours.

What a load of rubbish.
Why cant asthma sufferers just avoid wood heaters if they are so dangerous?
This advocacy group considers ONE group of people, not the remainder of the general population.
Should we also phase out cars because people get killed in them or hit by them?
What a soft society we are becoming.

What a load of rubbish.
Why cant asthma sufferers just avoid wood heaters if they are so dangerous?
This advocacy group considers ONE group of people, not the remainder of the general population.
Should we also phase out cars because people get killed in them or hit by them?
What a soft society we are becoming.
Hear! hear!

Reactions: Emily and Ricci
I live in a rural/coastal area. We only have bottled gas or woodfired heating that we can rely on, as our power goes out on a regular basis - especially when people come down & stay in their holiday homes. The power here is easily overloaded when it's moderately hot or a bit cold, as people use their reverse cycle heating/cooling. We have also been told that our electricity is turned off when the demand is high in the city!

• Wow
Reactions: Emily and Ricci
As a severe asthmatic I wholeheartedly agree with Asthma Australia. Even locked up wood fire smoke seeps into my home. And here in Queensland they have encouraged wood pits in backyards. I have to turn the fan on to breathe sometimes in winter to get air into my lungs.