I don't think any transition is easy, but it helps to take a few of your fav pieces the ones that hold the most memories, the comfort ones and think of your transition as an adventure, I moved from Tasmania to Townsville on my own and it was the biggest adventure and new start🙂🙃Good luck and have the best adventure🤩

I don't think any transition is easy, but it helps to take a few of your fav pieces the ones that hold the most memories, the comfort ones and think of your transition as an adventure, I moved from Tasmania to Townsville on my own and it was the biggest adventure and new start🙂🙃Good luck and have the best adventure🤩
Thank you Lisa. Much appreciated! :)

Reactions: Gsr and Lisa
Downsizing is not easy, but the best things I did, kerp the things that mean a lot to you, then look at all the rest, does mean anything, have you used it in the last 2 years, if not either donate give away or take to tip. It was amazing how much stuff I was able to get rid. No I have not regretted doing that

When Dad had to go into full time care what he did I thought was fantastic, he got me to contact who he wanted to give his tool's etc I made a time and day I got Dad out of care so that way he actually give the different items to whom he wanted to go to everyone was happy with this way of doing it plus it sloved a major problem for me.

My advice after moving from the Melbourne suburbs to Western Vic is to start clearing out early. We thought we did but it still was not early enough to get everything done in time.
Use a reputable moving company. We got quotes and they were breathtaking (mainly because of the distance). We went budget. BIG MISTAKE!! the business we used gave us a quote for the move and it was based on a “standard” 3 bedroom home. We asked if they wanted to come round and see what we have but they said it wasn’t necessary. On the removal day they actually sent a bigger truck which had just become available but even that was not big enough. They had to send another truck the next day which then doubled our original quote and still we had to leave stuff in our families garage to collect at a later date.
Another piece of advice though this may not be relevant is to AVOID JANUARY. Many big companies shut down and cannot get people to do the move.
Finally do as much packing into boxes yourself in the weeks ahead. This will shorten the time taken to fill the removal trucks and enable the actual move to get completed in the shortest time.

I am 6 weeks away from downsizing from a 4-bedroom home to a 2-bed apartment. First, get family and friends to come and have a throw-out. Everything you have not used for 2 years or more. Out into the garbage or like me hire a skip bin. Expensive but so great. Ring the various charities - I have the Salvation Army coming next week to pick up large furniture that I cannot fit into the new home. Finally, enjoy the experience and find all the treasures to take with you that have been in cupboards or wardrobes.
Best wishes and I am having cleaners in after I leave as this is a job I cannot do.
I have sold my home and said goodbye to many things that I no longer need or wish to replace in my new home. Unfortunately, my husband passed in March and I am going alone with our beloved dog Caesar

Start decluttering now start with one room at a time. We are planning to travel in less than 12 months in our caravan. I have emptied out kitchen cupboards & given excess away. Lots of clothes I haven't worn for years given to charity. Our stuff is going into storage & quite old. So if I can part with it now I am. 3 lounge suites & a sofa bed for 2 people, we can manage without. How many sets of linen to you need give away the less favourites & the ones you haven't used.

I suggest any large pieces you cannot take but are particularly fond of could be photographed so you have a physical memory of them.

We had to have a clear out when we moved to Australia from England. We gave things to friends and family whom we knew needed the things we had and gave the rest of the useful things to charity organisations. The rest was junk and treated that way.

My advice is it is never easy. Bite the bullet and down size. Go through all of your long lost and stored box's and get rid of all of those things you just don't need. Get a few garage sales in early but you need to start ASAP. "Parting is such sweet sorrow", don't be fooled it is never easy.:)

Even though we are not planning to move or downsize I have already started to cull all old paperwork, ornaments I have stored in cupboards, excess household items like crockery, linen, etc. any clothes we no longer wear etc etc. My theory is that it is easier to do it now than wait til the time comes when we need to move, or the kids need to clear out our home.

When our Father passed away my brother and I were faced with the enormous task of clearing what had been our parents happy home, our mother had left this world quite a few years prior to dad so in some way that made the task a little easier, most of her personal things were already gone but we were still faced with the problem of what to do with an entire quite large house full of furniture and appliances, none of which we ourselves actually wanted. As you may be aware charities like the Salvos are not allowed to collect used electrical appliances, so we were still stuck with what to do about things like washing machines, dryers and Tvs, eventually after much ringing around we were advised to ring one of the charities that help people after a natural disaster (Fire, Flood) lucky for us there had been a huge fire in the state which had destroyed a number of towns quite close by so we contacted them and offered them everything in the house to give to anyone who was in need at the time, well what a day that was, the charity personal arrived with 2 large trucks and enough muscle to literally clear the entire house, it was empty of everything within a couple of hours the only thing that was left behind was their profuse thanks for making such a large donation to help the struggling families who had lost everything, we very nearly offered the house as well but common sense prevailed and we very soon contacted a local real estate agent to put the house on the market, bless her she also arranged for the house to be cleaned before putting up the "For Sale"sign. so our task was finished, it had taken a week of sorting through cupboards and draws as well as wardrobes and linen closets to complete the emptying of everything and numerous trips to the local tip as well as smaller donations to local op shops and did I mention the copious tears that were shed as we said our farewells to a major part of both of our lives, you can imagine how hard it was for us to drive away for the last time but in actual fact the clearing and selling of the house was the easy part, the financial night meres were still waiting for us later.

Even though we are not planning to move or downsize I have already started to cull all old paperwork, ornaments I have stored in cupboards, excess household items like crockery, linen, etc. any clothes we no longer wear etc etc. My theory is that it is easier to do it now than wait til the time comes when we need to move, or the kids need to clear out our home.
Wonderful decision. I feel the same. My kids don't need, or want, my 'stuff'. So downsizing while I'm able, will make it so much easier when I die, or when I need to move into a smaller living space.

Wow!! Thank you so much for all your stories and your advice. I guess we are downsizing in only one sense..going from 4 acres ( which we can no longer look after) to maybe a half or 1 acre. But the new house will be 4 bedrooms as our son, whose marriage has broken up, will live with us, as well as his 12 year old daughter every second week. We still need to cull, and decide which furniture comes with us. We don't want to start packing ( my friend brought a huge lot of boxes last week), until we have signed a contract for this house. That hopefully is not too far off.
Thanks again for all your excellent advice.

• Love
Reactions: Kevin. A. and Gaena