SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Adjustable roller skates

Who learnt to skate on these adjustable strap-ons? Many Aussie kids careered around with absolutely no control before crashing into something. All that without protective gear! Back in the day, kids embraced the thrill of the ride, skinned elbows and knees be damned. Do you have fond memories of using these adjustable strap-on roller skates?

compressed-nostalgia.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Reactions: Ricki and DLHM
used them but were a bloody nuisance to put on or take off we solved the problem by screwing them onto a pair of old footy boots easier and better support.In the local skating rink playing touch football and even hockey certainly stopped skates coming undone but still had many falls toughen up was the result and the odd dab of iodine problem fixed.FUN we called it before TV and the roller game.

Adjustable roller skates

Who learnt to skate on these adjustable strap-ons? Many Aussie kids careered around with absolutely no control before crashing into something. All that without protective gear! Back in the day, kids embraced the thrill of the ride, skinned elbows and knees be damned. Do you have fond memories of using these adjustable strap-on roller skates?

View attachment 23159

I started with these skates when I was young. (Many a scraped knee as we didn't have pads then) I then moved to booted skates as a teenager when disco roller skating became popular, also doing some speed skating at the time, moving to ice skating and disco ice skating a little later. This brings back some awesome memories for me back to where it all started !

Got my JACKO Scates for Christmas when l was 7 and still in England. First time on flat on my back. All the house's on our street had a front fence or wall. I would pull myself along using these until l learned to balance. To keep them on l would pass the laces under the ankle strap. As a teenager l would go to a Scating Rink where the Scates had wooden wheels.

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
My brother and I shared a pair of these skates and had the usual amount of falls, scrapes and grazes. No elbow or knee protection in those days! He was a much better skater than me and when he was older tried out for the Roller Game which members may recall.

• Love
Adjustable roller skates

View attachment 23159

Adjustable roller skates

View attachment 23159

Yes! These were used and used over and over as they gave me such a sense of freedom! I loved them

• Love
I never had skates as a kid, too many kids, too little money to buy them for us all. My kids had similar ones when they were young, had a lot of busters before they learnt to stay upright. The old merchuricrome or iodine came in very handy. Still have my daughters in the garage. The grandkids had the shoes with the built in rollers on the heels, they took a bit of getting used to as well. They also had all the protective gear that they had to wear or they weren’t allowed to use them. I think half the fun was falling down and scraping the elbows and knees. Rarely see many kids with the scrapes and bruises we used to have everywhere, but we survived, think kids were bred tougher back then.

• Love
Adjustable roller skates

View attachment 23159

Like so many my age, 73, I had a pair of these and two brooms to keep me upright as I learnt to skate. My memories of it are spending more time on my bottom than actually skating. I did learn however and spent many years roller skating and ice skating.

• Love
used them but were a bloody nuisance to put on or take off we solved the problem by screwing them onto a pair of old footy boots easier and better support.In the local skating rink playing touch football and even hockey certainly stopped skates coming undone but still had many falls toughen up was the result and the odd dab of iodine problem fixed.FUN we called it before TV and the roller game.
I had similar ones but then I took up ice skating

I was reading awhile ago that if you have a pair of these Skates then you are sitting on a small fortune
I started with these skates when I was young. (Many a scraped knee as we didn't have pads then) I then moved to booted skates as a teenager when disco roller skating became popular, also doing some speed skating at the time, moving to ice skating and disco ice skating a little later. This brings back some awesome memories for me back to where it all started !
Got my JACKO Scates for Christmas when l was 7 and still in England. First time on flat on my back. All the house's on our street had a front fence or wall. I would pull myself along using these until l learned to balance. To keep them on l would pass the laces under the ankle strap. As a teenager l would go to a Scating Rink where the Scates had wooden wheels.
My brother and I shared a pair of these skates and had the usual amount of falls, scrapes and grazes. No elbow or knee protection in those days! He was a much better skater than me and when he was older tried out for the Roller Game which members may recall.
Yes! These were used and used over and over as they gave me such a sense of freedom! I loved them
I never had skates as a kid, too many kids, too little money to buy them for us all. My kids had similar ones when they were young, had a lot of busters before they learnt to stay upright. The old merchuricrome or iodine came in very handy. Still have my daughters in the garage. The grandkids had the shoes with the built in rollers on the heels, they took a bit of getting used to as well. They also had all the protective gear that they had to wear or they weren’t allowed to use them. I think half the fun was falling down and scraping the elbows and knees. Rarely see many kids with the scrapes and bruises we used to have everywhere, but we survived, think kids were bred tougher back then.
Like so many my age, 73, I had a pair of these and two brooms to keep me upright as I learnt to skate. My memories of it are spending more time on my bottom than actually skating. I did learn however and spent many years roller skating and ice skating.
Wow! Thank you for sharing all your cherished memories and the joy of falling down and getting scrapes and bruises. These experiences sure toughened Aussie kids up. Sadly, we don’t see as many kids engaging in risky play like that anymore.

Reactions: Ricki