Actress Judi Dench shares ‘ghastly’ health update

Actors and actresses have always graced our screens with their unprecedented talent, grace, and skills. Among these gifted individuals, the world-renowned Dame Judi Dench has enamoured audiences for decades with her extraordinary performances and magnetic stage presence.

However, the esteemed actress shared some distressing news regarding her deteriorating eye condition and admitted that she could ‘no longer see’ on a film set.

Despite the challenges she faces with her vision, she continues to show an indomitable spirit that makes her an icon on and off the screen.

At an impressive 88 years young, Dench's fearlessness and willingness to continue acting, even when faced with severe age-related macular degeneration (AMD), is nothing short of inspiring.

Diagnosed with AMD in 2012, Dench recently revealed to reporters that the disease has progressed to the point where she can ‘barely see’ and struggle to read scripts or see on film sets.

This might be an upsetting revelation for those familiar with her iconic role as 'M', the head of MI6 in the globally renowned James Bond film series.

judi1.jpeg
The film icon got candid about her condition and shared how her AMD progressed to an alarming extent. Credit: Shutterstock

For those unfamiliar with AMD, it is a common eye condition, mainly affecting people in their 50s and 60s. It often results in blurred or no vision in the centre of the visual field.

It impacts around one in seven Aussies over 50 to some degree and, unfortunately, significantly limits visual capabilities as it progresses.

In an interview, she said she couldn’t ‘see to read’ anymore.

‘It’s difficult for me if I have any length of a part. I haven’t yet found a way. But you just deal with it. I have so many friends who will teach me the script,’ she explained.

She’s also previously shared she was unable to drive due to her condition.

‘It’s the most terrible shock to the system… Ghastly. It’s terrible to be so dependent on people.’

judi2.jpeg
The Academy Award-winning actress said she’s having difficulty adjusting due to her condition but has no plans to stop acting. Credit: Shutterstock

However, she shared she had no plans to stop working due to her ‘irrational fear of boredom’.

‘That’s why I now have this tattoo that says carpe diem (“seize the day”). That’s what we should live by,’ she stated.

This has meant adapting to new ways of working in her chosen profession—a deeply visual industry. A job she has dedicated her life to and has brought us performances in films that have touched millions and cemented her as a dramatic tour-de-force.

Remarkably, she has earned eight Academy Awards nominations throughout her illustrious career, bringing home the gold in 1999 for her stellar portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love.

Among other commendations, she has six BAFTAs, and two Golden Globe awards adorning her mantle that attest to her phenomenal talent.

Aside from her career, her life off-camera reflects her strength and resilience. After losing Michael Williams, her husband and fellow actor, to lung cancer in 2001, she found love again in her partner, David Mills.

‘I never expected, not for a minute, there would be anybody else in my life after Michael died,’ she shared.

‘I feel very lucky indeed. And to laugh with somebody is terribly important! We laugh about everything.’

Distinguished, defiant, and downright fantastic, Dame Judi Dench embodies the adage: age is just a number. Amid her ongoing battle with AMD, she continues to grace the silver screen, enlightening us with her wit, charm, and resilience.
Key Takeaways
  • Oscar-winning actor Judi Dench reveals her degenerative eye disease has progressed to the point where she can no longer read scripts or see on film sets.
  • Dench relies on friends to help her learn her scripts despite her condition.
  • Despite her challenges, Dame Judi Dench has made it clear that she does not intend to step away from acting—a testament to her unwavering spirit.
Our hearts go out to Dame Judi Dench during this challenging time, and we wish her all the best in her endeavours, not only for her acting career but in all aspects of her life.

Sponsored
Actors and actresses have always graced our screens with their unprecedented talent, grace, and skills. Among these gifted individuals, the world-renowned Dame Judi Dench has enamoured audiences for decades with her extraordinary performances and magnetic stage presence.

However, the esteemed actress shared some distressing news regarding her deteriorating eye condition and admitted that she could ‘no longer see’ on a film set.

Despite the challenges she faces with her vision, she continues to show an indomitable spirit that makes her an icon on and off the screen.

At an impressive 88 years young, Dench's fearlessness and willingness to continue acting, even when faced with severe age-related macular degeneration (AMD), is nothing short of inspiring.

Diagnosed with AMD in 2012, Dench recently revealed to reporters that the disease has progressed to the point where she can ‘barely see’ and struggle to read scripts or see on film sets.

This might be an upsetting revelation for those familiar with her iconic role as 'M', the head of MI6 in the globally renowned James Bond film series.

View attachment 26392
The film icon got candid about her condition and shared how her AMD progressed to an alarming extent. Credit: Shutterstock

For those unfamiliar with AMD, it is a common eye condition, mainly affecting people in their 50s and 60s. It often results in blurred or no vision in the centre of the visual field.

It impacts around one in seven Aussies over 50 to some degree and, unfortunately, significantly limits visual capabilities as it progresses.

‘It’s difficult for me if I have any length of a part. I haven’t yet found a way. But you just deal with it. I have so many friends who will teach me the script,’ she explained.

‘It’s the most terrible shock to the system… Ghastly. It’s terrible to be so dependent on people.’

View attachment 26393
The Academy Award-winning actress said she’s having difficulty adjusting due to her condition but has no plans to stop acting. Credit: Shutterstock

However, she shared she had no plans to stop working due to her ‘irrational fear of boredom’.

‘That’s why I now have this tattoo that says carpe diem (“seize the day”). That’s what we should live by,’ she stated.

This has meant adapting to new ways of working in her chosen profession—a deeply visual industry. A job she has dedicated her life to and has brought us performances in films that have touched millions and cemented her as a dramatic tour-de-force.

Remarkably, she has earned eight Academy Awards nominations throughout her illustrious career, bringing home the gold in 1999 for her stellar portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love.

Among other commendations, she has six BAFTAs, and two Golden Globe awards adorning her mantle that attest to her phenomenal talent.

Aside from her career, her life off-camera reflects her strength and resilience. After losing Michael Williams, her husband and fellow actor, to lung cancer in 2001, she found love again in her partner, David Mills.

‘I never expected, not for a minute, there would be anybody else in my life after Michael died,’ she shared.

‘I feel very lucky indeed. And to laugh with somebody is terribly important! We laugh about everything.’

Distinguished, defiant, and downright fantastic, Dame Judi Dench embodies the adage: age is just a number. Amid her ongoing battle with AMD, she continues to grace the silver screen, enlightening us with her wit, charm, and resilience.
Key Takeaways

• Oscar-winning actor Judi Dench reveals her degenerative eye disease has progressed to the point where she can no longer read scripts or see on film sets.
  • Despite her challenges, Dame Judi Dench has made it clear that she does not intend to step away from acting—a testament to her unwavering spirit.
Our hearts go out to Dame Judi Dench during this challenging time, and we wish her all the best in her endeavours, not only for her acting career but in all aspects of her life.
Judi is a great actress in so many different roles. If she has to give it away she will be badly missed. I hope she can find a way to carry on as I'm sure she wants to. I can't imagine her being content to sit at home without another role to play.

I have MD also. Im hoping it doesn't progress too quickly. My Mother had it too. Such a shame Judi Dench has it so bad now but she said she'll keep acting.

View attachment 26392

View attachment 26393

Key Takeaways

Judi Dench is one of the best, will miss her great films.