Actress and producer misses prestigious ceremony due to ‘heartbreaking’ loss

In a heart-wrenching turn of events, Nicole Kidman, one of Australia's well-known actresses, faced a personal tragedy that led her to miss a significant moment in her illustrious career.

The star was set to be honoured at the Venice Film Festival, a celebration of cinematic excellence.

Still, the joy of this occasion was overshadowed by the profound loss of her mother, Janelle Kidman, at the age of 84.

Nicole Kidman, who has graced the silver screen with her talent for decades, arrived in Venice, Italy, expecting a festive evening at the film festival.

She was to receive the Best Actress award for her role in the new film Babygirl, a testament to her enduring skill and dedication to her craft.

However, before she could step onto the stage to accept her accolade, she received the devastating news of her mother's passing.

1725840324515.png
Nicole Kidman announced the death of her mother, Janelle, at 84. Credit: Shutterstock

The film's director, Halina Reijn, stood in for Kidman at the ceremony, conveying the actress's heartfelt words to the audience.

'I arrived in Venice and found out shortly after that my beautiful, brave mother, Janelle Ann Kidman, has just passed,' Kidman's statement read.

'I am in shock and have to go to my family, but this award is for her. She shaped me, she guided me, and she made me.'

Kidman's tribute to her mother poignantly reminded her of Janelle's profound influence on her life, both personally and professionally.

Despite the bittersweet circumstances, the actress expressed her gratitude for the opportunity to have her mother's name heard by the crowd.

'The collision of life and art is heartbreaking,' she wrote, sharing her grief openly. 'And my heart is broken.'

Director Halina Reijn echoed the sentiments of many when she said, 'We love you, Nicole,' before leaving the stage.

The cause of Janelle Kidman's death has not been disclosed, but it is known that she had faced health challenges in the past.

In 2016, she was hospitalised in Sydney with heart issues.

More recently, in 2022, Nicole Kidman spoke on the American radio program Fresh Air about her decision to return to Australia from her home in Nashville, Tennessee, to care for her ailing mother.

'We're down here primarily to take care of my mother and have her surrounded by her grandchildren,' she said then.

Nicole Kidman's close relationship with her family, particularly her mother and sister Antonia Kidman, an Australian journalist, has been well-documented over the years.

Her father, Tony Kidman, passed away in 2014, and now, with the loss of her mother, the actress is once again navigating the painful waters of grief.
Key Takeaways
  • Nicole Kidman has announced the death of her mother, Janelle Kidman, at the age of 84.
  • Kidman was in Venice to receive the Best Actress award for her film Babygirl but left after learning of her mother's passing.
  • The film's director, Halina Reijn, accepted the award on Kidman's behalf and conveyed Nicole's message, acknowledging her mother's impact on her life and career.
  • The cause of Janelle Kidman's death is not known; she had been previously hospitalised with heart issues in 2016, and Nicole had recently returned to Australia to care for her.
Do you think those involved in the event handled Nicole Kidman's situation properly? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Nicole knew her mother was not well at all but chose to not put her career on hold for even a short time or forgo attending the Olympics and the awards night instead of spending time with her mother. Too late now.

• Sad
Reactions: Dynamo and Phyll