ACCC shares tips to save up to $740 on your fuel bill yearly

Navigating the ever-fluctuating landscape of fuel prices can be daunting for any motorist, especially when you're trying to stretch your pension or savings as far as you can.

But what if there was a way to keep more hard-earned cash in your pocket?

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has shared some tips that could save Aussie drivers up to $740 annually on fuel costs.

Fuel prices in Australia are notorious for their volatility, particularly in urban areas. The ACCC has acknowledged the frustration this causes motorists, many of whom are already feeling the pinch from other cost-of-living pressures.

However, by understanding the fuel price cycles that occur mostly in cities, drivers can make informed decisions that lead to significant savings.

shutterstock_2224074461.jpg
ACCC revealed ways to save up to $740 on your fuel bills annually. Credit: Shutterstock

According to data from the Australian Automobile Association from early 2024, the average Australian motorist spends about $100 a week on petrol.

With geopolitical factors keeping petrol prices high, an extra 30 cents per litre during peak times can severely impact the family budget.

The ACCC has highlighted that these cycles vary by state. Perth experiences a weekly cycle, Adelaide has a fortnightly cycle, and Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane see cycles ranging from four to seven weeks.

The length of these cycles is also subject to change, adding to the complexity. It's important to note that diesel prices do not follow these cycles.

‘The ACCC fully recognises that petrol price cycles can be frustrating for motorists. However, by understanding how they work, motorists can take advantage of significantly lower petrol prices at the lowest point of the cycle,’ the ACCC said.

‘There are still opportunities to save on fuel. A perception may be that all retailers increase prices at once, but our research shows this isn’t the case.’

The ACCC's research suggested that not all retailers hike prices simultaneously, which is why they recommend using state-specific petrol price monitoring apps before filling up.

These apps, many of which are free, provide real-time updates on fuel prices, which stations are legally required to report within 30 minutes of a change.

This allows motorists to shop for the best deals, even during peak cycle times.

For those who fill up 50 litres of regular unleaded petrol weekly and time their purchases to coincide with the lowest point in the cycle, the savings can be substantial.

Here's a breakdown of the possible savings by state based on 2023 data:
  • Perth – $740
  • Adelaide – $486
  • Sydney – $407
  • Melbourne – $333
  • Brisbane – $242

‘The cycles involve a sharp increase in petrol prices, usually led by one or more retail sites, with many others increasing prices over time. This is followed by a slower decline in prices across the market,’ the ACCC said.

Even in areas without observed petrol price cycles, such as Canberra, Hobart, and Darwin, motorists can save a tidy sum by shopping around.

The ACCC's 2023 data also showed that while most regional locations do not experience the same cycles as the capital cities, there are exceptions.

Certain areas in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia follow similar cycles, offering additional opportunities for savings.

‘Motorists in these locations can look for similar opportunities to take advantage of petrol price cycles,’ the ACCC said.

‘The petrol price cycles in some of these locations closely followed the price cycles in the capital city closest to them, while in other locations their price cycles were less regular than the closest capital city.’

To make the most of these insights, the ACCC recommended downloading government-run apps that show real-time petrol price updates.

These include FuelWatch for Western Australia, FuelCheck for New South Wales and the ACT, MyFuel NT for the Northern Territory, and FuelCheck TAS for Tasmania.

Motoring groups like the Royal Automobile Club of Queensland and the Royal Automobile Association of South Australia also provide real-time fuel price-checking apps.

MotorMouth and PetrolSpy are also good commercial fuel-price-checking apps.

Additionally, navigation apps like Waze and Google Maps provide information on fuel prices.

The ACCC website provides continuous analysis of state price trends and offers frequent purchasing advice based on the latest data.
Key Takeaways

• The ACCC has provided advice on how Australian motorists can save up to $740 on fuel annually by understanding petrol price cycles and using petrol price monitoring apps.
  • Motorists spend approximately $100 a week on petrol, and an extra 30c per litre spent during the peak of a petrol price cycle can significantly impact the budget.
  • Petrol price cycles vary between states, with Perth having a weekly cycle, Adelaide a fortnightly cycle, and Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane cycles ranging from four to seven weeks.
  • Using state-specific petrol price monitoring apps is recommended to find the cheapest fuel options, with potential savings varying by state, and even in regions without cycles, shopping around can still lead to substantial annual savings.
Have you used any of these apps to save on fuel? What are your tips and tricks for keeping fuel costs down? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Our coles store has a 4c petrol discount on their dockets for a spend of $30 +. I don't spend $30 at coles, but if I buy a single item like moo juice or some other emergency item we may need, I retrieve discarded dockets with the discount still attached. We have a service stn virtually next door who honour the 4c discount.

Actually, this particular stn is extremely competitive with 7 other local outlets within 15 k's of our area even without the docket. The 4c off is just a little bit of icing on the cake. I utilise it to the fullest.

A good example, a woolies outlet 5 k's away, their E10 is $1.83/litre, my outlet for 91 Ron without discount is $1.71/ litre. Not too bad a saving at all.

As we live 360k's nth of Sydney, on the coast, it's the cheapest petrol between where we are & the far northern suburbs of Sydney by far. Sometimes up to at least 12-15c /litre.

When we have to drive to Sydney suburbia for family, I fill the tank to cover the return journey if necessary.

Reactions: Dynamo
We have an woolworths fuel 2 minutes from us and we always get enough of our preferred products to buy our fuel and they are always one of the cheapest. Makes life very easy. If they happen to be parked out on the road with cars waiting then go 2 minutes the other direction for shell for same price most Tuesday's.

I use PetrolSpy all the time especially when travelling from rural Vic to Melbourne to see family. We have our regular stop at a Metro station which is always the cheapest so top up there when travelling down but use EG Fuels to top up before leaving Melb. I always have a Woolies fuel
voucher and also use the RACV to get another 5 cents/litre off.
Don’t know if anyone realises but the RACV discount does not work in other states. We crossed the SA border and although my card was scanned there was no discount. I assume no other club discount works in Vic.

Lucky City dwellers, us country folk are behind the 8ball as they say. Fewer pumps to choose from and higher prices per litre than big city dwellers before we even put the nozzel anywhere near the vehicile.

No matter where you are in this magnificent country we are being Dictated to by the Oil barrons and , it's a complete and utter price gouge, they are producing crude oil at $740 a barrel which is a thousand litres and retailers are charging a thousand times 178cents alitre, thanks bastards.

• Sad
Lucky City dwellers, us country folk are behind the 8ball as they say. Fewer pumps to choose from and higher prices per litre than big city dwellers before we even put the nozzel anywhere near the vehicile.
Yes that is true and if you have to drive 20 to 30 klms for a discount what's the saving. Because I live where there is no transport I get a annual WA gov fuel card which really helps I try to use it only if I have to completely fill up

Reactions: Dynamo and NotNats
Our coles store has a 4c petrol discount on their dockets for a spend of $30 +. I don't spend $30 at coles, but if I buy a single item like moo juice or some other emergency item we may need, I retrieve discarded dockets with the discount still attached. We have a service stn virtually next door who honour the 4c discount.

Actually, this particular stn is extremely competitive with 7 other local outlets within 15 k's of our area even without the docket. The 4c off is just a little bit of icing on the cake. I utilise it to the fullest.

A good example, a woolies outlet 5 k's away, their E10 is $1.83/litre, my outlet for 91 Ron without discount is $1.71/ litre. Not too bad a saving at all.

As we live 360k's nth of Sydney, on the coast, it's the cheapest petrol between where we are & the far northern suburbs of Sydney by far. Sometimes up to at least 12-15c /litre.

When we have to drive to Sydney suburbia for family, I fill the tank to cover the return journey if necessary.
We were

l know this has nothing to do with petrol prices but l see you are from Coffs Harbour and l would be extremely interested to know whats it's like living there.l live in Tassy and l love it here but we want to be nearer the family on the mainland and C.H was one of the places we picked which is between them all.

I use PetrolSpy all the time especially when travelling from rural Vic to Melbourne to see family. We have our regular stop at a Metro station which is always the cheapest so top up there when travelling down but use EG Fuels to top up before leaving Melb. I always have a Woolies fuel
voucher and also use the RACV to get another 5 cents/litre off.
Don’t know if anyone realises but the RACV discount does not work in other states. We crossed the SA border and although my card was scanned there was no discount. I assume no other club discount works in Vic.
Yes to EG

Hi "Ebby'', if U are asking where I live, not in Coffs Hbr. That's abt another 150 k's north of us. We live in Laurieton. Our life style is great. Like everywhere else along the Mid Nth Cst, new settlements & housing estates are opening up. Land sizes have decreased significantly in the new estates. I like Coffs Hbr & surrounds as well. Some great places up there to choose from.

As with established houses of all ages, on larger land blocks, they are available for sale as well in adjoining areas. A wide choice is available.

There are a mass of beaches as well.