ACCC issues warning about rising scam incurring over $15.5 million losses

In an age where technology has become an integral part of our daily lives, it's crucial to stay vigilant against the dark side of digital convenience.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) recently warned about another digital scam, which saw Australians lose $15.5 million last year alone.

Remote access scams prey on our trust in technology and our desire for quick fixes to technical issues.

Scammers—who pose as representatives from reputable technology companies like Microsoft—contact victims claiming there's a problem with their account, phone, or computer.

They sound professional and convincing, offering to help resolve the issue by instructing the victim to download screen-sharing software like AnyDesk, Zoho, or Teamviewer.

compressed-desktop.jpeg
Remote access scams exploit software to gain control of victim's computers and laptops, which contain important financial information. Image Credit: Pexels/Teona Swift

Once installed, the scammer gains control of the victim's device and proceeds to access bank accounts under the guise of resolving an issue.

They will also ask for passwords or one-time security codes, enabling them to complete fraudulent transactions.

When the victim realises what happened, it's often too late, and their funds have been drained.

ACCC's Deputy Chair Catriona Lowe expressed concern that scammers are not just syphoning small amounts but are draining entire bank accounts, with average losses now in the tens of thousands.

In the first quarter of 2024, reported losses to remote access scams surged by 52 per cent compared to the previous quarter.

The average loss per victim also increased by 57 per cent, with losses up to $17,943.

This is particularly distressing as it targets a demographic that may not be as tech-savvy.

The ACCC's National Anti-Scam Centre took several proactive measures to combat this growing threat.

They notified remote desktop companies about the cases involving their applications.

The ACCC also provided essential tips to help protect yourself from remote access scams:
  1. Stop: If someone requests you to download software or an app over the phone, hang up immediately. Never share your banking information, passwords, or two-factor identification codes over the phone.
  2. Think: Question the legitimacy of the request. Take the time to contact the business using independently sourced contact details or verify the contact through their secure app.
  3. Protect: If you suspect you've been scammed, contact your bank immediately if you've shared financial information. You can also help others by reporting the incident to Scamwatch.
We urge you to share this information with your family and friends.

As scammers constantly find ways to exploit vulnerabilities, awareness is our best defence.
Key Takeaways

• The ACCC warned Australians of increased remote access scams and advised vigilance.
  • Scammers posed as technicians from tech companies to deceive victims into downloading harmful software.
  • Remote access scams resulted in significant financial losses, with a 52 per cent increase in reported losses in the first quarter of 2024 compared to the previous quarter.
  • The ACCC provided tips to avoid scams and encouraged victims to report to Scamwatch for assistance.
If you've experienced a remote access scam or have concerns about your online safety, share your story in the comments below. Your insights could help someone else avoid falling victim to these fraudulent schemes.

Sponsored
This is old, been getting these for years. I won't download or click any link from persons unkneverown

When you catch them, stand them against a wall, shoot them and leave the bodies to rot in the open as a warning to others. Bet that thins the herd.

Reactions: Bridgit
I love to play along with these guys and pretend I'm doing everything the say, make a few comments that the advice isn't working and the problem must be worse than he thought. Add a bit of causual conversation. When I get bored, I just say scammed you mother f****r, have a nice day and hang up

Reactions: burlighs007
I just got another scam letter from "Telstra" stating that an amount was overdue. The amount didn't make sense to start with. Do they, the scammers, really think we are all stupid. It is blatantly obvious that it did not come to me from Telstra. These scammers must be desperate to send such obvious fraud letters.