'Absolute joke': Coles shopper's grocery haul shows cost-of-living woes

In a world where every dollar counts, Australians are feeling the pinch of rising costs of daily necessities.

Despite the winter chill, a shopper's recent haul sparked a heated debate about the costs of everyday essentials.

A Coles shopper took to social media to share their frustration about a meagre haul that came with a nearly triple-digit price tag.

The image showed 14 items, which included necessities such as salt, cleaning materials, several fresh produce and various meats.

The accompanying receipt revealed a staggering total of $97.28.

compressed-photo_coles grocery.jpeg
A shopper's grocery haul costed them almost $100. Image Credit: X/Anonymous Frypan

'It's not easy under Albanese's cost of living crisis,' the shopper, who remained anonymous, wrote in the caption.

The post struck a chord with many, as the most talked about the massive jump in overall living expenses.

'Food has been up about 25 per cent since Albanese came to power. Electricity is about 30 per cent, gas is incalculable, insurance is up,' they continued.

The question posed to the public was a poignant one: 'Are your wages keeping up?'

Social media erupted with shared frustrations and advice on how to keep expenses low.

'Stop buying from supermarkets. Support your local fruit and veg and butcher,' one commented.

'Most serious budgeters shop around; ALDI is my mainstay. I walk further to get there but get more bang for my buck,' another suggested.

'It's an absolute joke,' a third lamented.

The photo underscored the broader issue of the cost-of-living crisis that Australians are grappling with.

Prime Minister Albanese has been criticised for the perceived inadequacy of the government's response to this crisis, despite recent tax cuts intended to ease the burden.

While the stage three tax cuts increased monthly pay for some Australians, many believe that this boost is insufficient to counterbalance the escalating expenses.

'My overall net pay went up $55 a week. But my rent went up $40-a-week the week before, let alone my car insurance, groceries, petrol, and car rego,' one recounted.

'Tell me again how you are addressing the cost-of-living crisis.'

For Australians, many of whom are on fixed incomes and cash flow, the impact of these rising costs just became more pronounced.

It's essential to be savvy with our shopping habits, seeking out discounts, comparing prices, and voicing our concerns to our representatives.

It's clear that the cost-of-living crisis is not just a talking point—it's a reality affecting daily lives.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper expressed their frustration over the cost of groceries, highlighting how expenses have risen for a limited number of items.
  • The shopper's post showed a receipt for 14 items, totalling $97.28, reflecting the impact of inflation on everyday essentials.
  • Social media users responded with suggestions to shop at alternative retailers for better value and to support local businesses rather than mainstream supermarkets.
  • Prime Minister Anthony Albanese faced criticism for handling the cost-of-living crisis despite the implementation of stage three tax cuts aimed at providing financial relief.
Do you have effective ways to cut down your grocery bill? Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments section below.

Sponsored