ABC radio personality tragically dies of anaphylactic shock

The Australian news industry lost a promising talent with the passing of ABC radio presenter Sarah Tomlinson on the evening of November 8.

Tomlinson was on annual leave when she suffered a fatal episode of anaphylactic shock.

Her career in broadcasting started when she was just 14 years old. After spending the early days of her career in community radio stations, she found her way to ABC, where she eventually became Chief of Staff of the network’s Mildura-Swan Hill and Wimmera bureaus in Victoria.

Tomlinson had experience presenting music and current affairs in her broadcasting career, including emergency coverage ‘in every shift from dawn to dusk’.

Before her move to Victoria, she hosted Mornings and Regional Drive for ABC South Australia.

Outside of broadcasting, she described herself as ‘a terrible and enthusiastic cook’, a lover of reading, theatre, music, the arts, and exploring the Aussie outdoors. She also was ‘passionate’ about local community service.

284045299_10160333776084612_1396878615707355069_n.jpg
Tomlinson had a storied career in broadcasting. Credit: Facebook/Sarah Tomlinson

A friend of hers who shared news of her passing wrote: ‘I’m so very grateful that her last days were in sunshine and happiness on holiday with her beautiful doggo Harley whom she loved so much, and who gave her unconditional love.’

Many others were shocked and saddened at her untimely death.

They shared emotional tributes for Tomlinson, who was treasured for her wit, humour, and passion.

ABC’s Christopher Testa remembered Tomlinson as a woman who ‘had the right joke or pun for any moment’ and ‘loved getting on the tools to film reporters’.

‘She was also one of the funniest people I’ve ever met with the best dad jokes. She brought joy wherever she went and had a marvellous ability to connect with people from all walks of life,’ added ARN’s Jennie Lenman.

Dan Davis, a former colleague of Tomlinson at Radio Adelaide, said Tomlinson was kind to him and kept in touch years after she left the station.

He said: ‘This one hurts… A true advocate for regional voices and one of the sharpest wits I’ve ever known. The world is worse off without her in it.’

Tyrone Dalton, another ABC journalist, said she ‘loved her craft and loved to share that passion with so many people.’

‘You’ll be dearly missed,’ he told Tomlinson.

And for Carly Findlay, a writer and close friend, the world is less bright with her clothes-loving ‘sunshine’ gone too soon.

‘Devastated to learn the news… What a joy she was, such a brilliant friend,’ she said.

‘Sarah and I bonded over our love of clothes. Many of our chats were about the clothes we bought/lusted after/didn’t buy/wish we had bought.’

‘Vale Sarah, may you have an endless wardrobe of bright clothes.’

302183821_10160513378994612_4984091223648524322_n.jpg
Tomlinson, cherished for her wit, humour, and passion, also had a love for clothes according to a friend. Credit: Facebook/Sarah Tomlinson

Anaphylactic shock is a severe and potentially fatal allergic reaction that occurs after exposure to an allergen such as peanuts, latex, or bee stings.

It is advised for those with severe allergic reactions to immediately get injected with epinephrine auto-injectors as soon as the earliest symptoms appear, which include difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, and skin rashes.

If none are available, proceed to the nearest emergency room or call 000.

Key Takeaways

• Sarah Tomlinson, an ABC radio personality, has died after suffering a fatal anaphylactic shock while on annual leave.
  • Tomlinson was remembered by friends for her sharp with, humour, and passion --- especially when it came to community broadcasting.
  • She recently served as ABC's Chief of Staff for its Mildura-Swan Hill and Wimmera bureaus.
We express our most sincere condolences to Tomlinson’s loved ones for their loss.

If you were fortunate to have heard her voice on the radio or even be on the receiving end of her jokes, how will you remember Sarah Tomlinson?

Share your thoughts — and messages for her loved ones — below.

Sponsored
How very very sad.
I was one of those lucky ones that survived anaphylactic shock, mine is to muscle relaxants suxamethonium and Rocuronium. I stopped breathing 9 min 11 min and 7 min

My eldest son has had an anaphylactic reaction twice to bee sting , each time it gets worst he needed 3 lots of adrenalin

My second eldest is anaphylactic to peanuts

My youngest daughter is anaphylactic to nuts, eggs and most seafood

4 of my grandchildren are anaphylactic to dairy

I'm not just saying allergy but anaphylactic. They all have epi pens
We are all trained in giving them

How very very sad.
I was one of those lucky ones that survived anaphylactic shock, mine is to muscle relaxants suxamethonium and Rocuronium. I stopped breathing 9 min 11 min and 7 min

My eldest son has had an anaphylactic reaction twice to bee sting , each time it gets worst he needed 3 lots of adrenalin

My second eldest is anaphylactic to peanuts

My youngest daughter is anaphylactic to nuts, eggs and most seafood

4 of my grandchildren are anaphylactic to dairy

I'm not just saying allergy but anaphylactic. They all have epi pens
We are all trained in giving them
My daughter also is allergic to bee stings she carries an epipen

Reactions: Lizzy6 and RTS
My daughter also is allergic to bee stings she carries an epipen
I always thought the more you got stung the more you became immune to it, how wrong was I , it's the complete opposite.

I remember the very first time he was stung he was 4 and was bitten on his finger , his arm was like a balloon up to his Elbow and he went on Romper Room ,there was a segment where miss Patrica talked to each child and when she came to him she asked what happened to your arm , he then went on and said how a bee did it and how he hates bees . Mr Dooby their Mascot was a bee 🤭