ABC presenter Tony Armstrong faces backlash over controversial side job amid integrity concerns

When we think of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), images of integrity, impartiality, and public trust come to mind.

It's a taxpayer-funded institution that has long set the standard for journalistic excellence.

However, even the most venerable of institutions can find themselves in hot water, as was the case with one of ABC's most beloved presenters, who was recently embroiled in a controversy that has left viewers and colleagues alike stunned.

An ABC host has come under fire from his employer after his side job for an insurance company was exposed, with a colleague accusing him of ‘moonlighting at the expense of the ABC’s integrity.’

On Monday night, ABC’s Media Watch program criticised ABC News Breakfast host Tony Armstrong for not getting approval from network bosses before voicing NRMA Insurance ads.

The ABC, funded by taxpayers, generally disapproves of staff, especially high-profile presenters, appearing in paid private advertisements.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 083013.jpg
ABC presenter Tony Armstrong has faced criticism for ‘moonlighting’ by voicing NRMA Insurance ads without the network's approval. Credit: Facebook / News Breakfast

Tony Armstrong, a former AFL player, joined ABC News Breakfast as a sports presenter in 2021.

Since then, he has risen to fame, winning two Logies and hosting his own TV series.

Armstrong announced he was leaving the breakfast program last week, with his final show on Friday, but he still has other projects with the ABC.

‘It’s a shame this moonlighting at the expense of the ABC’s integrity is what we’re talking about in his final week on News Breakfast,’ Media Watch host Janine Perrett expressed.

The NRMA ads that he voiced have been airing on television since July, including during the Olympics.

Armstrong's distinctive voice was even featured in sponsorship credits on programs from rival network Channel 9.

NRMA Insurance, a subsidiary of the IAG Group, promoted its new campaign through various articles in advertising industry publications.

These articles mentioned details such as the name of the band that performed the song for the campaign, but they did not acknowledge Armstrong's involvement.

In addition, he does not physically appear in the ads.

‘Tony’s arguably one of the ABC’s biggest stars,’ Perrett stated during the episode.

‘He’s not only on the breakfast TV couch; he’s appeared at night on a new sports show, he’s one of many appearing in ABC News promos and is the face of a new five-part series.’

‘So we were stunned when we got confirmation that Tony was selling an insurance company as well,’ the host added.

The ABC's editorial guidelines do not explicitly prohibit staff from engaging in commercial work, but they encourage employees to ‘quantify the risk’ associated with it.

In fact, well-known ABC personalities like Annabel Crabb supplement their income by taking on corporate MC roles.

‘(But) voicing commercials is a whole different game,’ Perrett argued.

The public broadcaster's guidelines indicate that ‘high profile presenters are often seen as faces or voices of the ABC’.

‘Any work that involves endorsing a commercial product or service is extremely high risk,’ according to the guidelines.

‘For all external work, you must…obtain approval from your manager.’

Perrett stated that Media Watch had inquired whether the ABC was aware of Armstrong's work for NRMA Insurance and if he had received approval to voice the ads.

‘Astonishingly, he did not,’ she said.

In a statement, the ABC explained that the voiceover was completed without their knowledge, attributing the situation to a ‘misunderstanding’ involving Armstrong’s representatives who are outside the ABC.

‘A misunderstanding?’ Perrett questioned.

‘How any ABC reporter could voice a commercial for one of the biggest brands in Australia and not think that is a conflict is beyond us.’

‘If this is not a breach of the guidelines on external work, which says you must seek approval from above, we don’t know what is,’ she added.

Media Watch reported that Armstrong had not replied to their request for comment.

‘Tony is a high valued employee and has the ABC’s full support,’ the company said in its statement.

It also stated that Armstrong’s representatives ‘have been provided a copy of the external work guidelines and reminded all ABC employees are required to meet them’.

Last month, ABC News Breakfast host Michael Rowland unintentionally jeopardised the broadcaster’s editorial standards when he retrieved a paper bag prominently featuring Coles branding from behind the sofa.

During the incident, Armstrong covered the supermarket's logo with his hand and stated, ‘Hey, editorial standards—I've got them.’

On September 24, he announced on air that he had ‘retired from News Breakfast.

‘I just want to thank Brekky and the broader ABC News team for welcoming me in with open arms and helping me grow over the past few years,’ Armstrong expressed.

‘[It] feels like I’ve been on a bit of a rocket ship.’

‘I’m going to miss the couch. Not the alarm, but I’ll miss the couch. And, yeah, I’ve had such a ball. I’m going to miss everyone, but, um, yeah. You’ll still see me around,’ he added.

His final show will air this Friday, October 4.
Key Takeaways
  • One of ABC's prominent presenters, Tony Armstrong, has been criticised for ‘moonlighting’ after voicing ads for NRMA Insurance without ABC's approval.
  • Media Watch host Janine Perrett described Armstrong's external commercial work as a significant risk to ABC's integrity.
  • The ABC has strict editorial guidelines for staff, particularly high-profile individuals, regarding endorsements and approval for external work.
  • Armstrong has been reminded of ABC's external work guidelines following the incident, with ABC reaffirming its support for him as a valued employee.
Members of the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter. How do you feel about public figures endorsing products? Should there be a clear line between a presenter's work for a public broadcaster and their private commercial ventures?

Share your opinions in the comments below, and let's discuss the delicate balance between personal enterprise and professional ethics.

Sponsored