ABC legend steps away from broadcasting after 3 decades

Karen Tighe, a beloved figure in Australian broadcasting, has made the heart-wrenching decision to step away from her illustrious career at the ABC.

After a 30-year tenure marked by groundbreaking achievements and a relentless passion for sports journalism,

Tighe is now facing a different kind of challenge: a life-threatening brain condition that has already exacted a devastating toll on her memory.

Tighe's journey in the broadcasting industry began in 1989 when she joined ABC as a sports researcher, presenter, and broadcaster.

Over the years, she became a familiar and trusted voice for sports enthusiasts across the nation, covering everything from local games to international championships.

oWhk3Z2u_400x400.jpg
ABC broadcaster Karen Tighe announced she is leaving ABC due to a health battle. Credit: @karentighe / Twitter

However, in March 2020, Tighe's life took an unexpected turn when she was hospitalised with viral encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain.

This condition can lead to symptoms ranging from fever and headache to severe complications like memory loss, seizures, and even death.

For Tighe, the impact of the disease was profound.

She found herself unable to recall basic personal information such as her address, date of birth, or even the names of her husband and son.

This memory loss, particularly affecting her short-term recall, forced her to step down from her role on Grandstand.

In an interview, Tighe described the experience as the most challenging thing she had ever gone through.

'I've always been a really positive person, but this has been probably the most challenging thing that I've ever gone through, and it's something that just came completely out of the blue,' she said.

Despite recognising sports teams, world leaders, and even the Prime Minister, Tighe struggled to recall their names.

'My short-term memory is absolutely shot, and that's the really awful thing. It's the weirdest feeling,’ she said.

Numerous highlights marked Tighe's career at the ABC.

From 1991 to 1994, she was part of Andrew Denton's sport comedy show Live and Sweaty.

She also served as a TV sports presenter for the ABC, starring on the weeknight news in Perth for six years.

In 1997, she transitioned from TV to radio, working on the national weekend sports program Grandstand.

Her contributions to sports journalism were recognised when she made history by becoming the first person to win the Sport Australia Media Award twice, in 2000 and 2001.

In 2020, she was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Sports Australia Media Awards.

Despite the challenges she faces, Tighe remains grateful for the experiences and opportunities she had during her time at the ABC.

'ABC TV and then Radio Sport have been my working home since March 1989 after the combination of a letter and little piece to camera on a VHS I had posted to then head of ABC TV Sport David Salter asking for a job,' she said.

'I will forever be grateful for all the experiences and opportunities I have had in my time both in Sydney and all that was set up for me when marriage took me to Perth in 2001.'

Aside from Tighe, former ABC broadcaster Karina Carvalho stepped down from her role after her 17-year tenure with the national broadcaster last December.

Her decision to leave is not made in haste but a thoughtful step towards exploring new opportunities.

'Now is the right time to venture into the next phase of my career, and I’m excited to see what’s around the corner,' Carvalho stated, signalling her readiness to embrace the future with open arms.
Key Takeaways
  • Karen Tighe has retired from ABC after a 30-year career due to a life-threatening brain condition.
  • She suffered from viral encephalitis, which heavily impacted her short-term memory, leaving her unable to perform her broadcasting duties.
  • Tighe received significant acclaim during her career, including making history by winning the Sport Australia Media Award twice.
  • She expressed gratitude for the opportunities provided by ABC TV and Radio Sport, highlighting her trailblazing role as a female sports broadcaster.
As we bid farewell to Karen Tighe from the broadcasting world, we wish her strength and resilience in her battle against this formidable condition. Her courage and determination are an inspiration to us all.

Are you a fan of hers? Do you have any favourite segments or memories of her as a broadcaster? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hmmmm I wonder if all this started after she had the 'JAB'.....Just a thought...

Hmmmm I wonder if all this started after she had the 'JAB'.....Just a thought...
Did she have the "JAB" and if so, how do you know?

When are people going to stop making the conspiratorial correlation between the onset of a disease and the advent of the COVID-19 vaccines?

Next you will be telling me that the Moderna vaccine contributed to Melbourne Storm's Ryan Papenhuyzen's broken leg a couple of years ago....

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but when a “vaccine” is forced upon people without adequate evidence of preventing or lessening the effects of the disease intended, then it’s harmful if not deadly.
Remember the race to be the first to provide and distribute a miracle vaccine?

When I say “forced upon”, I mean just that. I know of people that lost their jobs because they didn’t want to be subjected to an unproven drug.

From https://coronavirus.jhu.edu > timeline
A typical vaccine development timeline takes 5 to 10 years, and sometimes longer, to assess whether the vaccine is safe and efficacious in clinical trials, complete the regulatory approval processes, and manufacture sufficient quantity of vaccine doses for widespread distribution.

As I recall, the Covid vaccine was rolled out after about 12 months. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Did she have the "JAB" and if so, how do you know?

When are people going to stop making the conspiratorial correlation between the onset of a disease and the advent of the COVID-19 vaccines?

Next you will be telling me that the Moderna vaccine contributed to Melbourne Storm's Ryan Papenhuyzen's broken leg a couple of years ago....
Wake up.......

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Hi Karen
Lots of love to you.
It was wonderful working with you all those years ago.
You were an absolute delight.
You would most probably would not remember me.
"close but no cigar".
Best wishes, Simon P

Reactions: Littleboy8
I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but when a “vaccine” is forced upon people without adequate evidence of preventing or lessening the effects of the disease intended, then it’s harmful if not deadly.
Remember the race to be the first to provide and distribute a miracle vaccine?

When I say “forced upon”, I mean just that. I know of people that lost their jobs because they didn’t want to be subjected to an unproven drug.

From https://coronavirus.jhu.edu > timeline
A typical vaccine development timeline takes 5 to 10 years, and sometimes longer, to assess whether the vaccine is safe and efficacious in clinical trials, complete the regulatory approval processes, and manufacture sufficient quantity of vaccine doses for widespread distribution.

As I recall, the Covid vaccine was rolled out after about 12 months. 🤷🏼‍♀️
And if not millions more might have died from COVID

Reactions: IAN3005
Will you people stop with the jab covid shit just wish this beautiful young woman well. 💖Jeez.