A woman’s life was turned upside down when she discovered a family secret

We've all heard the phrase 'life can be a rollercoaster', but for some of us, that analogy is almost an understatement.

And for Journalist Sarah Dingle, her life had never been the same once she learned the truth about her father.

Sarah was only 27 years old when she learned that the dad who raised her was not her biological father.

Her mum told her – in a nonchalant way – that she was actually donor-conceived via an anonymous sperm donor.

sarah1.JPG
Sarah with her mum Siew and dad Gilbert. Credit: Sydney Morning Herald

Sarah didn’t believe her mum at first. She thought that her mother was just telling a weird, out-of-character joke.

‘I made her say it several times because I couldn't take it in. And by the time she said it for, I don't know, the third time or something, I had to accept that I should pay attention to what she was saying,’ Sarah said in an interview.

She shared that by the time she started taking things seriously, she felt like she was about to faint. ‘It’s one of those moments where it's such a cliché, but the only word I can use to describe it is “surreal”. And you start to go, “Is this really my life?”.’

After that, Sarah dedicated 10 years of her life to discovering who her biological father was – and trying to expose the disturbing lawlessness of the fertility industry in Australia.

Sarah never felt like an outcast with her family. She explained that she had no inkling that her dad – who passed away when she was just 15 – was not her biological father.

‘My mother’s Malaysian-Chinese. My father, whom I thought was my biological father, was Anglo-Saxon. I’m Eurasian; I don’t really look like anyone,’ Sarah explained.

But she also added that since she came from two different cultures, she never felt like she could ‘fit in’.

‘I never questioned anything about my family. At all. Which is why it hit me really, really, really hard.’

sarah2.JPG
Sarah, now 39, dedicated 10 years of her life to uncovering the secrets behind the fertility industry in this country. Credit: SBS

Sarah gathered more information from the fertility clinic where she was conceived and discovered what ‘donor conception codes’ are. These contained information on who her biological dad was, how many children he’d fathered through donor conception, and who these other children were.

However, this information had been destroyed by the clinic.

Sarah would go on to find out that this practice was not uncommon, and that fertility clinics aren’t held accountable due to the lack of clear regulations.

‘There are no national laws. There's a set of guidelines that clinics are supposed to adhere to - which they have not adhered to. And the other thing to say about those guidelines is that they're self-policing,’ she explained.

But Sarah continued to investigate further. And this time, she made another startling discovery.

Rebecca Ronan, Sarah’s friend whom she met while investigating the issue was her half-sister.

sarah3.JPG
Rebecca and Sarah may not look alike, but the two have a lot in common. Credit: SBS

But the surprises didn't stop there. The half-sisters also found other siblings.

‘It covers the whole range; people we know exist but are not allowed to contact, people we know who are siblings and we’ve made contact with but have not met them and then people who we know are siblings and we’ve met them,’ Sarah shared.

‘And there will always be more to come.’

In 2016, Rebecca and Sarah managed to track down their biological father. He left a letter with the fertility clinic for any of his children who might come looking for him in the future.

The letter reads: ‘Yes, half of you came from me: your father wanted you but couldn’t get you, and it was I who did him the favour he needed most. Yes, I will let you know where that half of you came from. Yes, I will gladly meet you if that’s what you want. Yes, I will show you my life, and I will tell you about myself and my relatives. And I will always let you have any medical information you may need.’

The clinic never gave this letter to Sarah or any of her half-siblings.

Sarah said she maintains a good relationship with her biological father, but concludes that she only had one real dad – and no one will ever take his place in her heart.

Given the struggle she went through and the lack of regulations around fertility clinics, Sarah would like to see changes in federal law.

More stories, just like Sarah’s, can be found in SBS’s documentary, Australia Uncovered.
Key Takeaways

• Even though she was 27 when she found out, it still took journalist Sarah Dingle a while to wrap her head around the news that her dad wasn't her biological father.
  • Sarah learned that the donor conception codes, which would have given her information on her biological father and any other children conceived from his sperm, had been destroyed by the fertility clinic.
  • Sarah was motivated to continue investigating and found numerous siblings and even connected with her biological father.
What are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
We've all heard the phrase 'life can be a rollercoaster', but for some of us, that analogy is almost an understatement.

And for Journalist Sarah Dingle, her life had never been the same once she learned the truth about her father.

Sarah was only 27 years old when she learned that the dad who raised her was not her biological father.

Her mum told her – in a nonchalant way – that she was actually donor-conceived via an anonymous sperm donor.

View attachment 8587

Sarah didn’t believe her mum at first. She thought that her mother was just telling a weird, out-of-character joke.

‘I made her say it several times because I couldn't take it in. And by the time she said it for, I don't know, the third time or something, I had to accept that I should pay attention to what she was saying,’ Sarah said in an interview.

She shared that by the time she started taking things seriously, she felt like she was about to faint. ‘It’s one of those moments where it's such a cliché, but the only word I can use to describe it is “surreal”. And you start to go, “Is this really my life?”.’

After that, Sarah dedicated 10 years of her life to discovering who her biological father was – and trying to expose the disturbing lawlessness of the fertility industry in Australia.

Sarah never felt like an outcast with her family. She explained that she had no inkling that her dad – who passed away when she was just 15 – was not her biological father.

‘My mother’s Malaysian-Chinese. My father, whom I thought was my biological father, was Anglo-Saxon. I’m Eurasian; I don’t really look like anyone,’ Sarah explained.

But she also added that since she came from two different cultures, she never felt like she could ‘fit in’.

‘I never questioned anything about my family. At all. Which is why it hit me really, really, really hard.’

View attachment 8588
Sarah, now 39, dedicated 10 years of her life to uncovering the secrets behind the fertility industry in this country. Credit: SBS

Sarah gathered more information from the fertility clinic where she was conceived and discovered what ‘donor conception codes’ are. These contained information on who her biological dad was, how many children he’d fathered through donor conception, and who these other children were.

Sarah would go on to find out that this practice was not uncommon, and that fertility clinics aren’t held accountable due to the lack of clear regulations.

‘There are no national laws. There's a set of guidelines that clinics are supposed to adhere to - which they have not adhered to. And the other thing to say about those guidelines is that they're self-policing,’ she explained.

But Sarah continued to investigate further. And this time, she made another startling discovery.

Rebecca Ronan, Sarah’s friend whom she met while investigating the issue was her half-sister.

View attachment 8589
Rebecca and Sarah may not look alike, but the two have a lot in common. Credit: SBS

But the surprises didn't stop there. The half-sisters also found other siblings.

‘It covers the whole range; people we know exist but are not allowed to contact, people we know who are siblings and we’ve made contact with but have not met them and then people who we know are siblings and we’ve met them,’ Sarah shared.

In 2016, Rebecca and Sarah managed to track down their biological father. He left a letter with the fertility clinic for any of his children who might come looking for him in the future.

The letter reads: ‘Yes, half of you came from me: your father wanted you but couldn’t get you, and it was I who did him the favour he needed most. Yes, I will let you know where that half of you came from. Yes, I will gladly meet you if that’s what you want. Yes, I will show you my life, and I will tell you about myself and my relatives. And I will always let you have any medical information you may need.’

Sarah said she maintains a good relationship with her biological father, but concludes that she only had one real dad – and no one will ever take his place in her heart.

Given the struggle she went through and the lack of regulations around fertility clinics, Sarah would like to see changes in federal law.

More stories, just like Sarah’s, can be found in SBS’s documentary, Australia Uncovered.
Key Takeaways

• Even though she was 27 when she found out, it still took journalist Sarah Dingle a while to wrap her head around the news that her dad wasn't her biological father.
  • Sarah learned that the donor conception codes, which would have given her information on her biological father and any other children conceived from his sperm, had been destroyed by the fertility clinic.
  • Sarah was motivated to continue investigating and found numerous siblings and even connected with her biological father.
In the seventies when this donor conception began, I thought then it was extremely concerning not to keep records, basically it was done so the donor could not be tracked down by the child and expected to support the children. No thought was given that the children of this method of conception were real human beings like any other. For such clever people often doctors and university students not to realise the ramifications of the children wanting to know not only their medical history but to know who the father was and the danger of sibling meeting sibling and forming a relationship and possibly marrying the shock of finding out of their relationship is too awful to contemplate.
I watched that program on SBS and my worst fears were realised, I only wish I had been more vocal at the time, however I was going through my own life trauma at the time and didn't have the time to protest. I am sure there are many wonderful children and grateful Mothers who benefitted from the program but as Sarah said, didn't the medical profession realise that these were human beings not animals being created.
Not unlike Hitler's endeavour to breed a pure Aryon race.
To think there were no records kept was astonishing.

I have a gorgeous gay friend who is a sperm donor. He has fathered seven children in the last four years. He is notified after every birth, including the sex of the child and multiple births, ( one set of twins so far ).

View attachment 8587

View attachment 8588

View attachment 8589

Key Takeaways

Her biological father seems to be a wonderful man by accepting his children no matter how they came about. More biological parents who know their children should take a leaf from this man’s book!

I have a gorgeous gay friend who is a sperm donor. He has fathered seven children in the last four years. He is notified after every birth, including the sex of the child and multiple births, ( one set of twins so far ).
So he knows about his children, which is good, but what about the other way round? Do the mothers - and later will the children - know who the father is? I think it should be out in the open, but mother (and a possible partner) should sign a paper declaring that they will never ask the father to help out financially or otherwise!

View attachment 8587

View attachment 8588

View attachment 8589

Key Takeaways

there should be more regulations within this industry and if the doners leave info that they dont mind being contacted if ever the request came in then those wishes should be allowed... punishment of some sort should be allocated for any who deliberately mislead or hide/destroy this info.