A warning from identity theft victims in the aftermath of the Medibank and Optus hacks

We here at the SDC are always warning of the dangers of identity theft, and how important it is to keep your personal information safe and secure from scammers.

But even if you're vigilant about protecting your data, there's still a chance that you could become a victim of identity theft – as Sarah, Dave, and Nadine found out the hard way.

These Aussies shared their stories with the ABC to warn others of the potential risks that leaked information can pose online, such as the recent Optus and Medibank hacks.

Sarah

pexels-photo-2787242.jpg
Sarah found herself in a nightmare after a lease application gone wrong. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/lil artsy

Sarah's (not her real name) ordeal began when her photos were taken from a real estate agent's website without her knowledge or consent, and then shared on public platforms like Pinterest.

She gave out a photo of her licence while applying for a lease.

‘Probably the most shocking and stressful part was just seeing my licence there on Google for anyone to use,’ Sarah said.

‘It was extremely stressful, not knowing what the repercussions were, what I'd lost out of this, whether there was any financial loss or risk to myself.’

Then, one night, she and her family got the shock of their lives when a man showed up at their house claiming he hired and paid for Sarah’s sexual services online.

Sarah said they were even shown a copy of her licence featuring her address. Thankfully, the man relented when they informed him that he got scammed.

In another instance, another man went to Sarah’s house — this time, he was claiming they owed him $1000 for a gaming device he sold.

‘He rocked up having transferred the money and obviously wasn't receiving his PlayStation,’ she said.

From that point, the issue only became worse with Sarah's image being used to apply for credit cards and other financial products in her name.

To add to her predicament, no matter how hard she tried to close down any unauthorised applications done using her leaked details, another bogus application would be made.

‘Initially, I spent days and days going through my credit file, calling up every banking institution that had had credit applications,’ she said.

‘It's a very emotionally stressful thing that I don't want to put any more of my life into.’

The ABC noted that they contacted US-based image hosting site Pinterest to answer why they were still allowing Sarah’s image to still be displayed, but they did not receive a response.

Tip
Think twice about revealing snippets of information criminals or hackers could use online. Even the most innocent things like sharing your birthday or address on social media can be enough for anyone with ill intent to take advantage of. As the saying goes, 'think before you click'!
Dave

iuafliuqagf.png
Hackers were able to get their hands on a ‘very bad’ copy of Dave’s licence. Credit: ABC

Unlike Sarah, Dave had no idea how his details were duplicated.

Oddly enough, a ‘very bad’ copy of his licence was used to take out more than $70,000 for a car loan.

‘The first I found out was that I started to get toll notices. I got heaps of these over a period of weeks, and I couldn't really resolve it,’ he said.

One Friday morning at 3am, he got a call from the police about a car they flagged down.

‘They stopped someone driving this car and asked me whether I was lending it to them. And so obviously, I explained that it wasn't mine.’

Even with the disclosure made to authorities, Dave was still contacted by debt collectors, who demanded he pay for the $70,000 loan.

‘It seems quite incredible that on the basis of a copy of my licence, that had a JP stamp on it but it was illegible, that they were able to go borrow this money and then buy this car,’ he said.

Thankfully in Dave’s case, the police eventually verified his claim about the car and promptly spoke with debt collectors who kept hounding him.

‘It could have been quite a different situation if I hadn't had that access to that detective or I'd been out of the country,’ he said.

‘I think I was actually very lucky to get away with it and not have any further sort of ramifications.’

Nadine

7e2ef95fe7fd76011c913b6eefd59ec3.jpg
Criminals were able to do so much with only Nadine’s licence number and birthday. Credit: ABC

Nadine’s troubles began with credit card applications. A lot of them.

Using only her licence number and date of birth, hackers were able to open up around $9000 worth of applications for personal loans.

Thankfully, thinking quickly, Nadine set up a credit report once she heard the news that her details were compromised.

Despite her preparations though, she still lost a small amount of money from lenders who released cash.

Things reached the point where she had to go to court to obtain proof that she was a victim of identity fraud, in addition to spending countless hours talking with companies by email and phone to explain her situation.

‘That was a really lengthy process, but I knew that's what I had to do because my credit rating is important to me,’ Nadine said.

‘I don't even have a credit card and I don't ever intend on having one, and these types of applications can really harm your credit rating…I didn't want them registered in my name.’

Not one for half measures, she also blocked her credit file from making future applications despite the obvious hassle — and even moved houses just to avoid hackers using her listed address!

‘I think it also just helps with reclaiming your identity to actually be able to say, “No, I have not lived at that address for quite some time.”’ she said.

‘To prove that, yes, that was a stolen driver's licence that they used.’

The stories of ‘Sarah’, Dave, and Nadine are frightening, especially given recent events and the ease with which criminals can twist our data to meet whatever ends they want.

So, heaven forbid you do find yourselves on the receiving end of identity theft, what do you do?

For starters, you may report your case to the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

You should also contact your bank immediately and inform them of your situation. If possible, ask what you can do to change access to your account in terms of security.

And speaking of changing access, change important passwords of accounts you think might be compromised the first chance you get.

You can also reach the services of organisations like IDCare, which offers counselling and support to victims of data breaches like that of Medibank and Optus.

So, what is your reaction to the stories of Sarah, Dave, and Nadine? Do you have a personal experience with identity theft? We certainly hope not but if you do, share them with us in the comments section below.

Source: YouTube/TODAY

Sponsored
My son-in-law was the victim of identity theft through his bank. He phoned them to say that the debt he was supposed to have incurred wasn’t anything to do with him. None of the details matched except for his name. When the bank asked him to answer his secret questions and the didn’t match, he was told, ”Sorry, this is obviously not your account, so we can’t continue this conversation “. “I know it isn’t me, but you’re saying I owe this money.“. Eventually he had to go the financial ombudsman to get it sorted.

Wait an amazing world it is now.
And just wait till only no-reply emails are received and all we have is data information retrieval chat bots, and no phone communications are possible.

Many do this now.

We will possibly have to make our houses and vehicles look like traffic lights and people will be wearing traffic light symbols on all forms of apparel, wearing traffic light jewelry and we'll all be having traffic light symbology throughout our homes, so that the robots can't spot us, ha ha ha. This is truly comedy gold, for a sit com.

Remember about 8 years back that a 12 yr old child, hacked a major Swiss bank? He went through all of their security systems and put 67 BILLION dollars into his father's bank account (google it) Yep, children learn to write code in many primary schools now.

And we are told everything these days is secure ha ha ha. What a crock!

We here at the SDC are always warning of the dangers of identity theft, and how important it is to keep your personal information safe and secure from scammers.

But even if you're vigilant about protecting your data, there's still a chance that you could become a victim of identity theft – as Sarah, Dave, and Nadine found out the hard way.

These Aussies shared their stories with the ABC to warn others of the potential risks that leaked information can pose online, such as the recent Optus and Medibank hacks.

Sarah

View attachment 8109
Sarah found herself in a nightmare after a lease application gone wrong. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/lil artsy

Sarah's (not her real name) ordeal began when her photos were taken from a real estate agent's website without her knowledge or consent, and then shared on public platforms like Pinterest.

She gave out a photo of her licence while applying for a lease.

‘Probably the most shocking and stressful part was just seeing my licence there on Google for anyone to use,’ Sarah said.

‘It was extremely stressful, not knowing what the repercussions were, what I'd lost out of this, whether there was any financial loss or risk to myself.’

Then, one night, she and her family got the shock of their lives when a man showed up at their house claiming he hired and paid for Sarah’s sexual services online.

Sarah said they were even shown a copy of her licence featuring her address. Thankfully, the man relented when they informed him that he got scammed.

In another instance, another man went to Sarah’s house — this time, he was claiming they owed him $1000 for a gaming device he sold.

‘He rocked up having transferred the money and obviously wasn't receiving his PlayStation,’ she said.

From that point, the issue only became worse with Sarah's image being used to apply for credit cards and other financial products in her name.

To add to her predicament, no matter how hard she tried to close down any unauthorised applications done using her leaked details, another bogus application would be made.

‘Initially, I spent days and days going through my credit file, calling up every banking institution that had had credit applications,’ she said.

‘It's a very emotionally stressful thing that I don't want to put any more of my life into.’

The ABC noted that they contacted US-based image hosting site Pinterest to answer why they were still allowing Sarah’s image to still be displayed, but they did not receive a response.

Tip
Think twice about revealing snippets of information criminals or hackers could use online. Even the most innocent things like sharing your birthday or address on social media can be enough for anyone with ill intent to take advantage of. As the saying goes, 'think before you click'!
Dave

View attachment 8110
Hackers were able to get their hands on a ‘very bad’ copy of Dave’s licence. Credit: ABC

Unlike Sarah, Dave had no idea how his details were duplicated.

Oddly enough, a ‘very bad’ copy of his licence was used to take out more than $70,000 for a car loan.

‘The first I found out was that I started to get toll notices. I got heaps of these over a period of weeks, and I couldn't really resolve it,’ he said.

One Friday morning at 3am, he got a call from the police about a car they flagged down.

‘They stopped someone driving this car and asked me whether I was lending it to them. And so obviously, I explained that it wasn't mine.’

Even with the disclosure made to authorities, Dave was still contacted by debt collectors, who demanded he pay for the $70,000 loan.

‘It seems quite incredible that on the basis of a copy of my licence, that had a JP stamp on it but it was illegible, that they were able to go borrow this money and then buy this car,’ he said.

Thankfully in Dave’s case, the police eventually verified his claim about the car and promptly spoke with debt collectors who kept hounding him.

‘It could have been quite a different situation if I hadn't had that access to that detective or I'd been out of the country,’ he said.

‘I think I was actually very lucky to get away with it and not have any further sort of ramifications.’

Nadine

View attachment 8108
Criminals were able to do so much with only Nadine’s licence number and birthday. Credit: ABC

Nadine’s troubles began with credit card applications. A lot of them.

Using only her licence number and date of birth, hackers were able to open up around $9000 worth of applications for personal loans.

Thankfully, thinking quickly, Nadine set up a credit report once she heard the news that her details were compromised.

Despite her preparations though, she still lost a small amount of money from lenders who released cash.

Things reached the point where she had to go to court to obtain proof that she was a victim of identity fraud, in addition to spending countless hours talking with companies by email and phone to explain her situation.

‘That was a really lengthy process, but I knew that's what I had to do because my credit rating is important to me,’ Nadine said.

‘I don't even have a credit card and I don't ever intend on having one, and these types of applications can really harm your credit rating…I didn't want them registered in my name.’

Not one for half measures, she also blocked her credit file from making future applications despite the obvious hassle — and even moved houses just to avoid hackers using her listed address!

‘I think it also just helps with reclaiming your identity to actually be able to say, “No, I have not lived at that address for quite some time.”’ she said.

‘To prove that, yes, that was a stolen driver's licence that they used.’

The stories of ‘Sarah’, Dave, and Nadine are frightening, especially given recent events and the ease with which criminals can twist our data to meet whatever ends they want.

So, heaven forbid you do find yourselves on the receiving end of identity theft, what do you do?

For starters, you may report your case to the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

You should also contact your bank immediately and inform them of your situation. If possible, ask what you can do to change access to your account in terms of security.

And speaking of changing access, change important passwords of accounts you think might be compromised the first chance you get.

You can also reach the services of organisations like IDCare, which offers counselling and support to victims of data breaches like that of Medibank and Optus.

So, what is your reaction to the stories of Sarah, Dave, and Nadine? Do you have a personal experience with identity theft? We certainly hope not but if you do, share them with us in the comments section below.

Source: YouTube/TODAY

I would suggest that "everyone" knows their credit score. You do this by signing up with one of the companies that do this. I signed up with Credit Savvy (free) and you find out your credit score. Every month they contact me and I would know if someone was trying to steal my identity as you can see if anyone has tried to take out loans etc in your name.