A stranger's text exposes a shocking family secret

We often talk about the importance of family – after all, they're the people who have known us our whole lives and have seen us through thick and thin. They're also usually the people who know us best.

So imagine our surprise when we heard about one woman's story in which a stranger's text message led her to uncover a shocking family secret – one that she never would have guessed in a million years.

The woman, known on TikTok as Lane, explained that she received a random text from an unknown number out of the blue. The message urged her to take an Ancestry DNA test and review her DNA matches.

The message read: 'Hi Lane. This is not a spam message. I think it's really important that you take a DNA test from Ancestry.com and review your DNA matches. Good luck.'

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 8.44.14 AM.png
A woman's life was forever changed by a text message from a mystery person. Credit: Unsplash/freestocks.

At first, Lane was sceptical about the whole thing (understandably), but after doing some digging and speaking with friends, she eventually decided to go ahead with the test.

She was hoping to find out that she was related to royalty or something equally as exciting (don't we all?). But what she discovered instead completely blew her mind...and turned her world upside down.

It turns out that the results of Lane's DNA test revealed that her father wasn't actually who she thought he was!

Upon further investigation (and some tough conversations with relatives), Lane learned that her mother had had an affair while in college – meaning that Lane's real father was somebody else entirely.

'I almost fell off my f**king chair,' Lane said in the now-viral clip.

When Lane learned the identity of her biological father, she wasted little time in tracking him down online and contacting him, eventually learning that he is living in California.

'He's British. He said my mum sent him a Christmas card when I was two years old, saying my name in it and that he's googled my name ever since,' she said.

And get this: he'd actually been following her online for years! He even sent an email to Lane's mother back in 2007 trying to get in touch with his daughter but never heard back from her...until now, thanks to this lucky break brought about by a mystery text message.

Since Lane's story went viral, it's been viewed more than 9 million times on the video-sharing platform, with hundreds of people commenting on how shocked they were by the whole thing.

One user wrote: 'His automatic instinct was to be with his daughter, and he couldn't be, so he did whatever he could to be in your life. I feel tears in my eyes.'

'Awwwwww,' another user commented. 'He watched over you the only way he could.'

But there was another question left unanswered: who was the mystery person who sent the text message?

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 8.44.06 AM.png
Lane (on the right) and her biological father (on the left). Credit: TikTok/laneiscool14.

In a follow-up video, Lane explained that the mysterious text message had come from her paternal cousin. It seems that the man was in a similar situation to Lane, and because he didn't want her to have to go through what he did, he reached out to her himself.

Much later, Lane was able to meet her biological father for the first time in California, and she also got to meet her two younger sisters she never knew she had!
Key Takeaways

• A bizarre text from a stranger led a woman to uncover a shocking family secret.
  • The stranger urged the woman to take a DNA test, which led her to discover that her biological father was not the man who raised her.
  • The story has gone viral, with many people commenting on the incredible turn of events.

We here at the SDC are always keen on a good heart-warming story, and this one definitely fits that bill. It just goes to show the power of social media and the surprising ways in which it can bring people together.

We hope you enjoyed this story, members. It just goes to show that you never know what sort of surprises life has in store for you!

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored
We often talk about the importance of family – after all, they're the people who have known us our whole lives and have seen us through thick and thin. They're also usually the people who know us best.

So imagine our surprise when we heard about one woman's story in which a stranger's text message led her to uncover a shocking family secret – one that she never would have guessed in a million years.

The woman, known on TikTok as Lane, explained that she received a random text from an unknown number out of the blue. The message urged her to take an Ancestry DNA test and review her DNA matches.

The message read: 'Hi Lane. This is not a spam message. I think it's really important that you take a DNA test from Ancestry.com and review your DNA matches. Good luck.'

View attachment 10387
A woman's life was forever changed by a text message from a mystery person. Credit: Unsplash/freestocks.

At first, Lane was sceptical about the whole thing (understandably), but after doing some digging and speaking with friends, she eventually decided to go ahead with the test.

She was hoping to find out that she was related to royalty or something equally as exciting (don't we all?). But what she discovered instead completely blew her mind...and turned her world upside down.

It turns out that the results of Lane's DNA test revealed that her father wasn't actually who she thought he was!

Upon further investigation (and some tough conversations with relatives), Lane learned that her mother had had an affair while in college – meaning that Lane's real father was somebody else entirely.

When Lane learned the identity of her biological father, she wasted little time in tracking him down online and contacting him, eventually learning that he is living in California.

'He's British. He said my mum sent him a Christmas card when I was two years old, saying my name in it and that he's googled my name ever since,' she said.

And get this: he'd actually been following her online for years! He even sent an email to Lane's mother back in 2007 trying to get in touch with his daughter but never heard back from her...until now, thanks to this lucky break brought about by a mystery text message.

Since Lane's story went viral, it's been viewed more than 9 million times on the video-sharing platform, with hundreds of people commenting on how shocked they were by the whole thing.

One user wrote: 'His automatic instinct was to be with his daughter, and he couldn't be, so he did whatever he could to be in your life. I feel tears in my eyes.'

But there was another question left unanswered: who was the mystery person who sent the text message?

View attachment 10388
Lane (on the right) and her biological father (on the left). Credit: TikTok/laneiscool14.

In a follow-up video, Lane explained that the mysterious text message had come from her paternal cousin. It seems that the man was in a similar situation to Lane, and because he didn't want her to have to go through what he did, he reached out to her himself.

Much later, Lane was able to meet her biological father for the first time in California, and she also got to meet her two younger sisters she never knew she had!
Key Takeaways

• A bizarre text from a stranger led a woman to uncover a shocking family secret.
  • The stranger urged the woman to take a DNA test, which led her to discover that her biological father was not the man who raised her.
  • The story has gone viral, with many people commenting on the incredible turn of events.

We here at the SDC are always keen on a good heart-warming story, and this one definitely fits that bill. It just goes to show the power of social media and the surprising ways in which it can bring people together.

We hope you enjoyed this story, members. It just goes to show that you never know what sort of surprises life has in store for you!

What are your thoughts?

Ditto here, but it took me 61 years to find out I have 4 older full blood brothers I never knew about, my little sister was actually my (technically) my half sister, and a further half brother and half sister by my bio father.

My Dad was actually my step-dad, but in all of this, I have an added respect for him, but could never see "physical features" of him in me.

This has driven me CRAZY CRAZY INSANE since the age of about 4. Have always known something was not quite right, but never in my wildest dreams did I consider this.

Unfortunately, both parents have passed, as has mum's older sister and my "fathers" 2 sisters, but am in contact with 1 cousin and 2 of my brothers.

It's really surreal, building adult relationships with virtual strangers, knowing you have a direct blood connection.

I have found some peace, but it also can do your head in at times

Creepy.
Let sleeping dogs lie.
Not at all. Unless you are absolutely certain who your parents are you cannot imagine the angst of not knowing quite where you fit in the scheme of things. I have known since I was old enough to understand that I was adopted. My adoptive parents were really good but I never felt that I really fit in. I was desperate to find out who I really was, what my birth name had been and what and who my parents were. Out of respect for my adoptive parents I didn't start looking until neither of them were here anymore and by then it was too late. The only thing I have been able to discover is my birth name and then I hit a brick wall. :(

View attachment 10387

View attachment 10388

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts?

Just goes to show that the DNA tests work for your advantage some times. I have done mine and now Ancestry wants me to pay to find my relatives

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10387

View attachment 10388

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts?

What happened to the man you thought was your father??

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci
Not at all. Unless you are absolutely certain who your parents are you cannot imagine the angst of not knowing quite where you fit in the scheme of things. I have known since I was old enough to understand that I was adopted. My adoptive parents were really good but I never felt that I really fit in. I was desperate to find out who I really was, what my birth name had been and what and who my parents were. Out of respect for my adoptive parents I didn't start looking until neither of them were here anymore and by then it was too late. The only thing I have been able to discover is my birth name and then I hit a brick wall. :(
Ricci, Ancestry should have sent you a list called Thru-Lines with close relatives. Did you set up an Ancestry DNA account? You can also create a FREE Tree. You won't get all the details, as a paying member might, but it should be enough to kick you off if you want to go further back.

Also, have you contacted Adoption Angel's? They help cut thru the red tape to track down family. You need to be an adoptee though, they don't mess so much with people/family looking... ie: I was raised by my bio mother and my step-dad, but my 4 older brothers (same father as me) were adopted out by our father. We are still looking for brother #3, but privacy laws make it near impossible for an 'outsider' to get info.

Good luck Ricci x

Reactions: terri and Ricci
Ricci, Ancestry should have sent you a list called Thru-Lines with close relatives. Did you set up an Ancestry DNA account? You can also create a FREE Tree. You won't get all the details, as a paying member might, but it should be enough to kick you off if you want to go further back.

Also, have you contacted Adoption Angel's? They help cut thru the red tape to track down family. You need to be an adoptee though, they don't mess so much with people/family looking... ie: I was raised by my bio mother and my step-dad, but my 4 older brothers (same father as me) were adopted out by our father. We are still looking for brother #3, but privacy laws make it near impossible for an 'outsider' to get info.

Good luck Ricci x
Thanks for the info, I spent the first years of my life in the UK so not sure if Adoption Angels could help. I did find out that the place I thought I was born wasn't so, the hospital where I was born hasn't been a hospital for over 40 years, no idea where any records might be. The town I thought was my real family came from wasn't. I haven't done a DNA test as several people have told me it wouldn't be helpful.

Thanks for the info, I spent the first years of my life in the UK so not sure if Adoption Angels could help. I did find out that the place I thought I was born wasn't so, the hospital where I was born hasn't been a hospital for over 40 years, no idea where any records might be. The town I thought was my real family came from wasn't. I haven't done a DNA test as several people have told me it wouldn't be helpful.
OK, that's true, a DNA test will only give you results if other family members have taken it too.

To your knowledge, were you an only child? Could your father have had other children?

My friend tracked down his family from Canada with the Angels, and he didn't even know he was adopted until recently, so they may still be an option.

Don't give up, the English have chronic OCD when it comes to records.. lol.. You just need to figure out how to smash through the brick wall, and what you hope to find on the other side.

WikiTree have a FREE collaborative tree if want to start somewhere. Just a thought.

OK, that's true, a DNA test will only give you results if other family members have taken it too.

To your knowledge, were you an only child? Could your father have had other children?

My friend tracked down his family from Canada with the Angels, and he didn't even know he was adopted until recently, so they may still be an option.

Don't give up, the English have chronic OCD when it comes to records.. lol.. You just need to figure out how to smash through the brick wall, and what you hope to find on the other side.

WikiTree have a FREE collaborative tree if want to start somewhere. Just a thought.
Thanks for the info, it wouldn't hurt for me to at least ask the question of the Angels, the worst they can say is no, :) have never heard of WikiTree, that's a new one for me. Thanks, you have given me the kick up the bum to get me going again!:)

Reactions: Joolz58
My daughters best friend was always told by her mother that her father took off when she was a baby.
She is now 33 and about 2 years ago she did an ancestries DNA what she found out shocked her on the register there was someone who match her as a biological sister she then found her father. For this to happen the other person has to have done the rest and register their results.

Turns out he was never told about her and he accepted her straight away. She looks exactly like his other daughter

Reactions: Ricci and Joolz58

View attachment 10387

View attachment 10388

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts?

I found and got to meet my real father (adopted by new man((arsehole)) of the house on xmas/boxing day 1979 (born 1950) and we had a great chat and found out he had been keeping an eye my brother and myself, unfortunately only the once and now in a different country.... He is still alive and the A/hole is not

Why would you ? Everyone deserves to know who their real parents are
The only thing you actually DESERVE is the right to be born, and even that right is imperilled with the rise, over the past 50 years, of Abortion on demand. Back in the days when people adopted-out rather than killing, it was standard practice for the birth-mother details to be suppressed; the logic being (a) preservation of privacy of the mother with a view to the mother getting her life back on track and (b) enabling a clean 'break' for the adoptee from whatever unfortunate circumstances applied to conception and birth.

From my own perspective and experience: Not long after my fortieth birthday my late mother called myself and four siblings together to introduce us to our previously-unknown half-sister who was born between my elder (half)brother and myself. This half-sister had been adopted by a fairly wealthy childless couple and grew up in a good neighbourhood with an excellent education; from what was presented she'd had a very good life. She was not content, however, to just accept her good fortune and came looking for her birth-mother; it took her several years of searching, including behaviour falling just short of the criminal definition of Stalking. Long story shortened: she split our family, irretrievably, and sent my mother into early dementia and death ten years later.

Beyond creepy; vicious.

• Sad
The only thing you actually DESERVE is the right to be born, and even that right is imperilled with the rise, over the past 50 years, of Abortion on demand. Back in the days when people adopted-out rather than killing, it was standard practice for the birth-mother details to be suppressed; the logic being (a) preservation of privacy of the mother with a view to the mother getting her life back on track and (b) enabling a clean 'break' for the adoptee from whatever unfortunate circumstances applied to conception and birth.

From my own perspective and experience: Not long after my fortieth birthday my late mother called myself and four siblings together to introduce us to our previously-unknown half-sister who was born between my elder (half)brother and myself. This half-sister had been adopted by a fairly wealthy childless couple and grew up in a good neighbourhood with an excellent education; from what was presented she'd had a very good life. She was not content, however, to just accept her good fortune and came looking for her birth-mother; it took her several years of searching, including behaviour falling just short of the criminal definition of Stalking. Long story shortened: she split our family, irretrievably, and sent my mother into early dementia and death ten years later.

Beyond creepy; vicious.
Still children do not ask to be born and biological parents need to own up if child looks for them.

Families with non adoptive kids still have problems

Do you ever think that your sister ask WHY ME I know I would, I would ask why did they give me away and keep the ones before me and after me

Still children do not ask to be born and biological parents need to own up if child looks for them.

Families with non adoptive kids still have problems

Do you ever think that your sister ask WHY ME I know I would, I would ask why did they give me away and keep the ones before me and after me
Not so much "WHY ME?" - more like "It's all about MEEEEEE!".
For my own viewpoint, as much as I would love to have my family back in one piece, what's done is done and cannot be changed; the best we can do is to simply get on with life and try not to screw up the next generation.

Not so much "WHY ME?" - more like "It's all about MEEEEEE!".
For my own viewpoint, as much as I would love to have my family back in one piece, what's done is done and cannot be changed; the best we can do is to simply get on with life and try not to screw up the next generation.
For most people in that situation it would be "It's all about MEEEE". They have been inside their own head, alone, asking questions with no answers for so long. To be confronted with a mother and siblings that you should have been a part of and trying to understand why you weren't. Just because you had a 'good life' doesn't take away the pain you feel at being rejected at birth, doesn't take away the questions, doesn't stop you feeling upset at being rejected again or being treated antagonistically by your 'real' family. Who else but MEEEE! is it to be about?