A nightclub’s bizarre new rule has Aussies sharing their… love stories?

Nightclubs are infamous for chaotic parties and uncomfortable interactions, so some business owners have taken the necessary steps to provide club-goers with a safer place to unwind. But is it possible to overdo the initiative?

Sydneysiders shared the heart-melting ways they met their significant others after Club 77 banned ‘unwanted staring’, which requires verbal consent to be granted before any engagement is made whatsoever with patrons.

Club 77's updated safety and harassment policy aims to protect all patrons from concerning behaviour by creating ‘a safer and truly open space for our club goers and employees’.

IaEMpkmfSTxm4Iba0_d3nPlDN0-GKWnebJC2dLfp_niSn67wE8XDYTXTHMGXwQAMRsvFHyyTfmqJPpPwUhHjCp0YIafCL_CbitDijsNXVlou5GSQ_aTuJ3dnCohmsFIGrihLLUwD_7jqLhoPo1-FsG0

‘Unwanted staring’ is a no-no in this club! Source: Unsplash

Staring was then used as an example of ‘concerning behaviour’ on their website.

‘We operate a zero-tolerance policy on harassment of any kind. Club 77 is not a place to come to if your sole purpose is to “pick up”. If you do come in and are approaching multiple people or giving unwanted attention to someone, you are going to attract the attention of our security, who have been instructed to stop this kind of behaviour.’ the club's policy states.

The policy emphasises that Club 77 does encourage interaction with strangers, but any engagement ‘must begin with verbal consent’.

‘This also applies if you are, for example, staring at someone from afar. If the attention you are giving someone is unwanted, that is considered harassment.’

Questions about how the rule could be properly monitored have been raised, but the club’s owner, Dane Gorrel, clarified that the venue has a designated Safety Officer who is available to support those who make reports about any type of behaviour that makes them uncomfortable.

Source: @club77sydney

Fans of 2GB's Ben Fordham Live called into the show to detail their love stories in response to the controversial rule. One of the listeners, Elaine, revealed the romantic way she met her husband of 58 years, Ian, when she was 21.

‘My girlfriend and I went to a hotel in Liverpool. About two tables away, there was this very handsome young soldier,’ Elaine started off the story.

‘Every time I looked over, he was looking at me, and I was looking at him.’ she continued.

Knowing that she captured his attention and wanting him to come over, Elaine pretended to drop something on the floor and made sure it rolled towards where Ian was sitting. Well, her cheeky strategy worked!

The gentleman picked the item up, approached her and said: 'My name's Ian. Can I take you out one day?’

Elaine happily obliged and gave the then-28-year-old her phone number.

BuYhl-u8j_7HpQ2fTXgOGTeSyS84UN9MMoMHZPpTGOl80MWOLYLSTfqHnx9FQdNbHBgEOXv4AXptBVPWqDprjJtlRpOTyw1L8nby5jvTX2yqRkQvAQFFAnzwis6nVZ03Gi08w2GHhp6prO0oxl5HGNA

Elaine and Ian were happily married for 58 years. Source: 9News

Several years later, the couple tied the knot in 1964 and eventually had three children. They were married for 58 years before the love of her life sadly passed seven years ago.

Another caller, Cynthia, said she fell in love with her husband of 48 years when she locked eyes with his ‘big blue eyes’ from across a beach as he emerged from the waves, carrying a surfboard with one arm. Sounds like something that would happen in a cheesy movie, eh? But we love it!

One more caller, Carmel, told Fordham that she met her husband of over 40 years when she couldn't stop staring at him in the hospital.

‘My husband broke his leg in Perisher and ended up in the same ward in Cooma with my uncle. I would have been banned from the nightclub because I thought he looked good and my uncle convinced me to go up to him.’ she joked.

Ben Fordham himself also shared how he stumbled across his wife of 11 years. He said it was love at first sight, as he caught a glimpse of her at his friend’s 40th birthday party.

Fordham said that he had always loved Jodie Speers' voice over the radio back when she was a crime reporter, and when he caught sight of her across the room he was completely blown away.

EI_6RGAqvWn2oCydIFM5n8G1SXiaBc1bYUUtjtgy5FrYIvl_0vJ4A2ZZWPoo4Oj2bqwi-1y8yrxxJN1sCF45UpD6HhOIhjGCns3AgbcjyaDw80XhuhCeX-tVVKhWvSYOQ4c0zHGiKeULXFB2u9BOrzc

The radio host described it as ‘love at first sight’. Source: Daily Telegraph

‘I turned to someone and asked, “Who's that?” My friend said that it was Jodie Speers.’

‘And I went, “Oh. That's Jodie Speers”.’

After their first date, Fordham immediately knew she was ‘the one’. A year and a half later, he proposed.

In an interview, Club 77’s owner added: ‘Realistically, the way that we're sort of looking at things is that any unwanted attention is considered harassment.’ Gorrel explained, noting that the example of staring is only if it has made the subject of the gaze uncomfortable, not if it is consensual and mutual like in the stories above.

‘Anything without consent is harassment.’ he continued. ‘At the end of the day, anything that's unwanted or not consensual is not on anymore. We're just trying to take care of people at the end of the day.’

While thousands found the rule ridiculous, there were several who openly supported the initiative.

‘I am 100 per cent supporting this!’ one user declared, while another said ‘This is amazing! Positive party culture all the way!’

‘Wow, I love the idea of a safety officer!’ a third praised.

‘Thank you for keeping the safety of your patrons a priority.’ one more commented.

What are your thoughts on Club 77’s controversial rule? Is it reasonable or unnecessary? Dare we ask how YOU met your partner? Share your love stories with us in the comments! If you’re comfortable with sharing cheesy pictures, we’d be more than happy to see them too.

Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
We were talking about this last night.
My son and his friends occasionally go to this club. I thought the rule was for all clubs but he said it was just for club 77

He said he was going to now go up to girls and say Is it OK if I sit over there and stare at room. I told him that is creepy ! He replied everyone us going to do it to show them it won't work.

Isn't looking just part of human nature

Nightclubs are infamous for chaotic parties and uncomfortable interactions, so some business owners have taken the necessary steps to provide club-goers with a safer place to unwind. But is it possible to overdo the initiative?

Sydneysiders shared the heart-melting ways they met their significant others after Club 77 banned ‘unwanted staring’, which requires verbal consent to be granted before any engagement is made whatsoever with patrons.

Club 77's updated safety and harassment policy aims to protect all patrons from concerning behaviour by creating ‘a safer and truly open space for our club goers and employees’.

IaEMpkmfSTxm4Iba0_d3nPlDN0-GKWnebJC2dLfp_niSn67wE8XDYTXTHMGXwQAMRsvFHyyTfmqJPpPwUhHjCp0YIafCL_CbitDijsNXVlou5GSQ_aTuJ3dnCohmsFIGrihLLUwD_7jqLhoPo1-FsG0

‘We operate a zero-tolerance policy on harassment of any kind. Club 77 is not a place to come to if your sole purpose is to “pick up”. If you do come in and are approaching multiple people or giving unwanted attention to someone, you are going to attract the attention of our security, who have been instructed to stop this kind of behaviour.’ the club's policy states.

The policy emphasises that Club 77 does encourage interaction with strangers, but any engagement ‘must begin with verbal consent’.

‘This also applies if you are, for example, staring at someone from afar. If the attention you are giving someone is unwanted, that is considered harassment.’

Questions about how the rule could be properly monitored have been raised, but the club’s owner, Dane Gorrel, clarified that the venue has a designated Safety Officer who is available to support those who make reports about any type of behaviour that makes them uncomfortable.

Fans of 2GB's Ben Fordham Live called into the show to detail their love stories in response to the controversial rule. One of the listeners, Elaine, revealed the romantic way she met her husband of 58 years, Ian, when she was 21.

‘My girlfriend and I went to a hotel in Liverpool. About two tables away, there was this very handsome young soldier,’ Elaine started off the story.

‘Every time I looked over, he was looking at me, and I was looking at him.’ she continued.

Knowing that she captured his attention and wanting him to come over, Elaine pretended to drop something on the floor and made sure it rolled towards where Ian was sitting. Well, her cheeky strategy worked!

The gentleman picked the item up, approached her and said: 'My name's Ian. Can I take you out one day?’

BuYhl-u8j_7HpQ2fTXgOGTeSyS84UN9MMoMHZPpTGOl80MWOLYLSTfqHnx9FQdNbHBgEOXv4AXptBVPWqDprjJtlRpOTyw1L8nby5jvTX2yqRkQvAQFFAnzwis6nVZ03Gi08w2GHhp6prO0oxl5HGNA

Several years later, the couple tied the knot in 1964 and eventually had three children. They were married for 58 years before the love of her life sadly passed seven years ago.

Another caller, Cynthia, said she fell in love with her husband of 48 years when she locked eyes with his ‘big blue eyes’ from across a beach as he emerged from the waves, carrying a surfboard with one arm. Sounds like something that would happen in a cheesy movie, eh? But we love it!

One more caller, Carmel, told Fordham that she met her husband of over 40 years when she couldn't stop staring at him in the hospital.

‘My husband broke his leg in Perisher and ended up in the same ward in Cooma with my uncle. I would have been banned from the nightclub because I thought he looked good and my uncle convinced me to go up to him.’ she joked.

Ben Fordham himself also shared how he stumbled across his wife of 11 years. He said it was love at first sight, as he caught a glimpse of her at his friend’s 40th birthday party.

Fordham said that he had always loved Jodie Speers' voice over the radio back when she was a crime reporter, and when he caught sight of her across the room he was completely blown away.

EI_6RGAqvWn2oCydIFM5n8G1SXiaBc1bYUUtjtgy5FrYIvl_0vJ4A2ZZWPoo4Oj2bqwi-1y8yrxxJN1sCF45UpD6HhOIhjGCns3AgbcjyaDw80XhuhCeX-tVVKhWvSYOQ4c0zHGiKeULXFB2u9BOrzc

‘I turned to someone and asked, “Who's that?” My friend said that it was Jodie Speers.’

After their first date, Fordham immediately knew she was ‘the one’. A year and a half later, he proposed.

In an interview, Club 77’s owner added: ‘Realistically, the way that we're sort of looking at things is that any unwanted attention is considered harassment.’ Gorrel explained, noting that the example of staring is only if it has made the subject of the gaze uncomfortable, not if it is consensual and mutual like in the stories above.

‘Anything without consent is harassment.’ he continued. ‘At the end of the day, anything that's unwanted or not consensual is not on anymore. We're just trying to take care of people at the end of the day.’

While thousands found the rule ridiculous, there were several who openly supported the initiative.

‘I am 100 per cent supporting this!’ one user declared, while another said ‘This is amazing! Positive party culture all the way!’

‘Thank you for keeping the safety of your patrons a priority.’ one more commented.

What are your thoughts on Club 77’s controversial rule? Is it reasonable or unnecessary? Dare we ask how YOU met your partner? Share your love stories with us in the comments! If you’re comfortable with sharing cheesy pictures, we’d be more than happy to see them too.

My mum was working at a green grocer back in the early 40's. She was outside the shop when an army truck full of soldiers drove past. She threw a green apple to them, which my handsome dad had caught. Two days later he left the barracks to search for the lady who threw the apple. The rest is history. When he past away 60 years later, she not only placed a rose on his coffin, but a green apple also.

My mum was working at a green grocer back in the early 40's. She was outside the shop when an army truck full of soldiers drove past. She threw a green apple to them, which my handsome dad had caught. Two days later he left the barracks to search for the lady who threw the apple. The rest is history. When he past away 60 years later, she not only placed a rose on his coffin, but a green apple also.
What a beautiful love story🥰🥰

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I met my husband of 40+ years at a business meeting. I was working as a financial controller for a company in Southampton UK and he worked for a rival company in London as a sales manager. Two of us from my company went to talk to his company about supplying us with goods and after the meeting four of us went out to lunch. He spent the whole lunch talking to me and the next day phoned me at work. He then found excuses to phone every day for a week and an excuse to visit my workplace where it was my turn to take him to lunch. The rest as they say is history!!:)

So you're sitting there in the club, staring off in the distance, thinking about what you want for dinner, the bouncer comes over and kicks you out because some oh so precious 'don't look at me' person has decided you're staring at them. Now that precious person is very likely videoing you while you're just minding your own business. Of course the precious one will post the video of you online with a stupid, false back story they completely invented in an attempt to garner support from other precious people. Now those very same 'precious ones' would no doubt have spent many hours and much money before coming to the club, getting all sexed up in their 'come f#ck me' clothes and putting on every kind of bling to attract the attention of everyone possible. So there you go. The precious ones want everyone looking at them but heaven help anyone who does. And even if you don't look, they are on guard just chomping at the bit to 'get you'. And there you are out on the sidewalk, banned from the club because some doughhead assumed you were looking at them. WTF!?

So you're sitting there in the club, staring off in the distance, thinking about what you want for dinner, the bouncer comes over and kicks you out because some oh so precious 'don't look at me' person has decided you're staring at them. Now that precious person is very likely videoing you while you're just minding your own business. Of course the precious one will post the video of you online with a stupid, false back story they completely invented in an attempt to garner support from other precious people. Now those very same 'precious ones' would no doubt have spent many hours and much money before coming to the club, getting all sexed up in their 'come f#ck me' clothes and putting on every kind of bling to attract the attention of everyone possible. So there you go. The precious ones want everyone looking at them but heaven help anyone who does. And even if you don't look, they are on guard just chomping at the bit to 'get you'. And there you are out on the sidewalk, banned from the club because some doughhead assumed you were looking at them. WTF!?
And doesn't it mean if they know you are looking at them then they were looking at you

And to add further to your insight, who the hell wanted to look at the "victim" in the first place? They could wish!!

I think the person you just described wouldn't be the person complaining. They would love the attention
Sounds like your saying it's a woman that will complain . This rule is for both men and women. We can't be sexist now, women stare too

No photos to share.

As a 17yo l used to do my banking at the agency at the Pharmacy near home & the lass, who later became my wife,took my deposits from my wages. One day l went in there to do banking & she noticed l had made a large withdrawal & asked about it. I said l had bought a car & she immediately started craning her neck looking outside. She said, 'l'll have to go for a ride one day', to which l replied, 'l'll take you up on that one day.'

Days later she went on holiday & l had to wait a few weeks for her to return before l could ask her out. It turned out her birthday was Friday 26th, the night l went around to her house & we dated on the the 27th. Coincidently my birthday is 5 days before hers in the same month & same year. Not until we had been dating a week did l learn her surname. On that first night at her house l recognised the groom in a wedding photo as the brother of a fellow l went to school with. Another co-incidence.

We have now been married 50 years ( May 2022 ), have 4 children & 6 grandchildren.

No photos to share.

As a 17yo l used to do my banking at the agency at the Pharmacy near home & the lass, who later became my wife,took my deposits from my wages. One day l went in there to do banking & she noticed l had made a large withdrawal & asked about it. I said l had bought a car & she immediately started craning her neck looking outside. She said, 'l'll have to go for a ride one day', to which l replied, 'l'll take you up on that one day.'

Days later she went on holiday & l had to wait a few weeks for her to return before l could ask her out. It turned out her birthday was Friday 26th, the night l went around to her house & we dated on the the 27th. Coincidently my birthday is 5 days before hers in the same month & same year. Not until we had been dating a week did l learn her surname. On that first night at her house l recognised the groom in a wedding photo as the brother of a fellow l went to school with. Another co-incidence.

We have now been married 50 years ( May 2022 ), have 4 children & 6 grandchildren.
What a beautiful love story 🥰

Reactions: Ricci
I was a 13 year old rebel who told people she was 16 !

I was playing pool with friends in a snooker room in Dulwich Hill in 1974, when a long haired guy who looked like a Rockstar caught my eye. I couldn't help but stare. I loved the group Hush and he looked like a guy from there.

A few days later I saw him again and we started talking and that was the beginning of our story.

You know the song ' Too Young To Be Married , well that was exactly us.

3 years later we had our first child, a girl . I was 16 he was 18.

Everyone said we wouldn't last, some said we should adopt our baby out.

But we went on too work hard, buy a house and have another 12 kids.

We have had many ups and downs

If I could go back to the beginning there wouldnt be much that I would change.

The moral of my story is if I didn't stare , we wouldn't have talked. He also told me he he couldn't stop staring at me either.

Isn't staring the first point of contact ?

20220828_055317.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love