S

Sean Camara

A closer look at the new fraud scheme targeting elderly parents – here's how you can protect yourself

We previously reported on a new scam that specifically targets elderly parents whose children are either working adults or are far from home.

The scam involves con artists posing as their children and calling them for financial assistance to pay their bills.

Now, we'll look at this issue in closer detail as we share the story of John and Patricia, a couple who have been scammed out of thousands of dollars after falling victim to the scheme.

Patricia and her daughter had a normal conversation over a video call on Saturday morning, with the latter informing her mother about her new kitchen.

A short while later after the pair bid their farewells, Patricia claimed to have gotten a text message from a 'mystery number'.

The message claimed that the daughter lost access to her banking details after she dropped her phone in the toilet and that she was in dire need of funds to urgently pay an invoice for a new kitchen.

gE-s_wrlDPJvyj0zlp-D96x8RIaqHA-6VhLwnPihEyTAyIq1LzlGyqPH_nhADT50HtJcYyvfjLNUScPFROhjYKoiQGJtN_0LyATN7PizUkopnogH3VV4S74mDrBHARpu36G0Cit_C7VHRs9O0Kh9hg

A snap of the conversation between Patricia and the scammer. Credit: ABC News.

Patricia said she had no idea that she was about to become the victim of a scam as the texts appear credible because they included private information about her daughter's stress and home repairs.

'It was almost as though someone had heard our conversation on WhatsApp because of the things she said after that,' the mother recalled.

The Perth couple initially sent through $12,899.99 to an account with a major bank branch after their 'daughter' promised to pay back the money when she recovers her banking details by 9 pm.

Patricia shared that when the money was sent, she received a text message featuring love hearts and thankful emojis from the same sender, which made her think that her daughter was just grateful for the fund transfer.

However, just two minutes after the initial payment, the scammer asked for more money.

The request prompted John to raise his daily payment limit to send more money, but fortunately, Westpac stopped the second payment of $10,278.99, informing the couple that they may have been victims of a scam and that the first payment may not be recoverable.

The couple's case is not unique, however, as the new scheme, dubbed as 'Hi Mum' scam, has defrauded more than 1,150 Australians, with incidences significantly increasing this winter.

In the first seven months of the year alone, Australians were reportedly duped of a total of $2.6 million. Experts predict that the number may be considerably higher due to unreported frauds.

Simon Smith, a cybercrime expert, claimed that dealing with scammers was becoming commonplace for Aussies.

'It's almost like it's a way of life at the moment, it's gotten worse actually,' he remarked.

sJM4kr8rD0Bd9UWqm_pyZUf0i7uk-JJNSjoUi7kUaeAMmRJBWWrvm_IAGgC4LH3R4auFHlcPPTPbLjBTuGSZoG1rrNI3Lgdc47Ar6cmqQREijJgUFKS8IFZzNOgkgr2or78_jjROM6K-bR5LcwpqMQ

The new ‘Hi Mum’ scam targets elderly people whose children are away from home. Credit: ABC News.

Mr Smith said that the use of SMS scams to entice potential victims was now simpler and less expensive than ever thanks to technology.

He added: 'Over the years the technology has gotten cheaper — certainly with SMS spamming — you can send SMS pretty cheaply, almost free online.'

'It's a numbers game for the scammers. They send out 100,000 SMS and if they get 0.001 per cent it's a payday for them.'

Scammers appeared to be targeting older Australian women, according to Delia Rickard, deputy head of the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Ms Rickard explained: 'Over two-thirds of the family impersonations we've seen, the victims were women over 55.'

'They play on that familial relationship, and that's what families do, they help each other.'

While experts acknowledged that some con artists obtained information through identity theft or purchase, they also noted that less sophisticated techniques, such as accessing publicly available personal information online, were frequently used by crooks.

Mr Smith advised people to be extra cautious about the data they post publicly on social media.

'Everyone wants to say "look at my new couch" or "look at my baby running around with a brand new pair of sneakers",' he pointed out.

'People don't realise when they put their life on the internet that it's fair play for scammers as well.'

According to Ms Rickard, people can take precautions to verify the identity of the individuals they are conversing with.

Trick questions may be an effective way to expose con artists if a loved one cannot be reached by phone.

Ms Rickard suggested: 'Ask them 'how's the dog doing?' when you know they don't have a dog.'

Trick questions and enhanced awareness help avoid fraud in the future, but victims who have already been duped have significantly fewer options as the chances of recovering funds are low.

'It's not great. You can try with your bank but it's not great,' she added.

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM SCAMS

• Make sure you verify the identity of the person you're dealing with.
  • Avoid clicking on questionable links in emails, pop-ups, or messages.
  • Secure personal information, mobile devices, and computers.
  • Pick your passwords wisely.
  • Review the social media privacy settings.
  • Be on the lookout for odd payment requests.
  • Use a service you can trust while shopping online.

It's so important to keep ourselves informed about the latest scams, so we can protect ourselves and our families, especially now that scammers are becoming more creative with their tactics.

We recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website to stay on top of these schemes. Stay safe out there, folks!

I received a message on What's app that went something like this Hi Mum, I lost my phone please use this number. I immediately contacted all 4 of my children to ask if it was them then blocked the number.
We need to be more vigilant nowadays.
@glennrapson you could try searching Google with the text if you suspect something is wrong.

Reactions: Ricci
We previously reported on a new scam that specifically targets elderly parents whose children are either working adults or are far from home.

The scam involves con artists posing as their children and calling them for financial assistance to pay their bills.

Now, we'll look at this issue in closer detail as we share the story of John and Patricia, a couple who have been scammed out of thousands of dollars after falling victim to the scheme.

Patricia and her daughter had a normal conversation over a video call on Saturday morning, with the latter informing her mother about her new kitchen.

A short while later after the pair bid their farewells, Patricia claimed to have gotten a text message from a 'mystery number'.

The message claimed that the daughter lost access to her banking details after she dropped her phone in the toilet and that she was in dire need of funds to urgently pay an invoice for a new kitchen.

gE-s_wrlDPJvyj0zlp-D96x8RIaqHA-6VhLwnPihEyTAyIq1LzlGyqPH_nhADT50HtJcYyvfjLNUScPFROhjYKoiQGJtN_0LyATN7PizUkopnogH3VV4S74mDrBHARpu36G0Cit_C7VHRs9O0Kh9hg

Patricia said she had no idea that she was about to become the victim of a scam as the texts appear credible because they included private information about her daughter's stress and home repairs.

'It was almost as though someone had heard our conversation on WhatsApp because of the things she said after that,' the mother recalled.

The Perth couple initially sent through $12,899.99 to an account with a major bank branch after their 'daughter' promised to pay back the money when she recovers her banking details by 9 pm.

Patricia shared that when the money was sent, she received a text message featuring love hearts and thankful emojis from the same sender, which made her think that her daughter was just grateful for the fund transfer.

However, just two minutes after the initial payment, the scammer asked for more money.

The request prompted John to raise his daily payment limit to send more money, but fortunately, Westpac stopped the second payment of $10,278.99, informing the couple that they may have been victims of a scam and that the first payment may not be recoverable.

The couple's case is not unique, however, as the new scheme, dubbed as 'Hi Mum' scam, has defrauded more than 1,150 Australians, with incidences significantly increasing this winter.

In the first seven months of the year alone, Australians were reportedly duped of a total of $2.6 million. Experts predict that the number may be considerably higher due to unreported frauds.

Simon Smith, a cybercrime expert, claimed that dealing with scammers was becoming commonplace for Aussies.

'It's almost like it's a way of life at the moment, it's gotten worse actually,' he remarked.

sJM4kr8rD0Bd9UWqm_pyZUf0i7uk-JJNSjoUi7kUaeAMmRJBWWrvm_IAGgC4LH3R4auFHlcPPTPbLjBTuGSZoG1rrNI3Lgdc47Ar6cmqQREijJgUFKS8IFZzNOgkgr2or78_jjROM6K-bR5LcwpqMQ

The new ‘Hi Mum’ scam targets elderly people whose children are away from home. Credit: ABC News.

Mr Smith said that the use of SMS scams to entice potential victims was now simpler and less expensive than ever thanks to technology.

He added: 'Over the years the technology has gotten cheaper — certainly with SMS spamming — you can send SMS pretty cheaply, almost free online.'

'It's a numbers game for the scammers. They send out 100,000 SMS and if they get 0.001 per cent it's a payday for them.'

Scammers appeared to be targeting older Australian women, according to Delia Rickard, deputy head of the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Ms Rickard explained: 'Over two-thirds of the family impersonations we've seen, the victims were women over 55.'

'They play on that familial relationship, and that's what families do, they help each other.'

While experts acknowledged that some con artists obtained information through identity theft or purchase, they also noted that less sophisticated techniques, such as accessing publicly available personal information online, were frequently used by crooks.

Mr Smith advised people to be extra cautious about the data they post publicly on social media.

'Everyone wants to say "look at my new couch" or "look at my baby running around with a brand new pair of sneakers",' he pointed out.

'People don't realise when they put their life on the internet that it's fair play for scammers as well.'

According to Ms Rickard, people can take precautions to verify the identity of the individuals they are conversing with.

Trick questions may be an effective way to expose con artists if a loved one cannot be reached by phone.

Ms Rickard suggested: 'Ask them 'how's the dog doing?' when you know they don't have a dog.'

Trick questions and enhanced awareness help avoid fraud in the future, but victims who have already been duped have significantly fewer options as the chances of recovering funds are low.

It's so important to keep ourselves informed about the latest scams, so we can protect ourselves and our families, especially now that scammers are becoming more creative with their tactics.

We recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website to stay on top of these schemes. Stay safe out there, folks!
I was scammed $8;890 in this scam.my bank GSB.returned my money.it was a shocking experience.lyn

I would NOT EVER send money to anyone who didn’t have the decency to AT LEAST ring & talk to me in person! Actually to not go & see them face to face is pretty scummy, of course it’s a scam! But you know if you’re capable of using a mobile & sending texts etc , then you need to be a bit savvy or don’t use them at all!! Yes, I feel for these people but again?!?!?! Seriously, how many times do people have to be warned?!?!?!

This happened to me before it was known about.
I was told my son had dropped his phone in the sink this morning and had a dodgy phone that didn’t make calls, but could text that he would be using until he could replace the broken one. This is exactly the kind of thing my son would do so I wasn’t surprised- but he said he had to pay someone before 12.00 pm and he had tried to access his bank to do it online and been lockout if his account- this person knew my son’s name and I am not on social media but he is. I would have lost $12,000 if my bank was not on the ball and blocked my account.
I was very lucky and had all my funds returned (ANZ) but what an awful experience😞

• Wow
I'm sorry to say this but - A fool and his money are soon parted.... Who sends over ten thousand dollars without checking a few details???? I wouldn't send/give any funds without a face to face meeting or, at least. a long heart to heart conversation.... We've come a long way from Nigerian princes calling us promising millions of dollars :D

I received a "Hi Mum" text recently. I knew about the scam so wasn't worried. What the scammers didn't know was my daughter was in hospital and definitely wouldn't have sent the message!!! When will they give up?!!

• Angry
I'm sorry to say this but - A fool and his money are soon parted.... Who sends over ten thousand dollars without checking a few details???? I wouldn't send/give any funds without a face to face meeting or, at least. a long heart to heart conversation.... We've come a long way from Nigerian princes calling us promising millions of dollars :D
Thank you!

I don't understand this - if the 'son/daughter' does not have access to their banking details, to where are the parents sending money?

I would NOT EVER send money to anyone who didn’t have the decency to AT LEAST ring & talk to me in person! Actually to not go & see them face to face is pretty scummy, of course it’s a scam! But you know if you’re capable of using a mobile & sending texts etc , then you need to be a bit savvy or don’t use them at all!! Yes, I feel for these people but again?!?!?! Seriously, how many times do people have to be warned?!?!?!
Could not agree more.

I received a "Hi Mum" text recently. I knew about the scam so wasn't worried. What the scammers didn't know was my daughter was in hospital and definitely wouldn't have sent the message!!! When will they give up?!!
Not as long as there are suckers falling for their schemes.... :(

• Sad