A bizarre photo of a Woolworths shopper holding a shopping basket prompts social media users to confess an unlikely act

A wave of unlikely confessions has flooded social media after a photo of a Woolworths customer holding a shopping basket from his local supermarket store went viral.

Can you spot what the fuss is all about?

An image of a Brisbane Woolies shopper is making the rounds on Reddit after it was shared by one user.

aaEnHCtT9z5qUjIlFUK_qwGNv4Wk87WXF3WKFP-EMhn2WlpD_pHVeMnhC8Clc-wG21aLTGp0aDcTi_PbLIlw6O0UkUO4D-IqeNNCTp73pqN_ovX2PxsxvhBs3IN2wHn-WN4IFc8

The bizarre photo went viral online. Credit: Reddit.

While the sight of a man holding a shopping basket is not a bizarre scene, as it turned out, the man was actually taking the lift in his apartment building when he was photographed.

Yes, you read that right, folks! The customer apparently took the basket home with him after a recent trip to his local Woolies store.

“Don’t forget your shopping bags,” the Reddit user wrote, explaining that he actually asked his neighbour if he could take his photo.

He also claimed that the man agreed, writing: “He said, ‘Pretty funny eh?’ So I asked if I could take a picture, which I did, and then he got off at his floor afterwards.”

The act has captured the attention of Reddit users, with many unexpectedly confessing to bringing supermarket baskets home.

One person wrote: “I have a few of these at home. I usually place them in my car and pack my groceries in them to get to the house."

The user revealed that he actually has baskets from Coles, Woolies, and Bunnings.

Another added: “I have a Woolworths and Coles one. I had an Officeworks one, but that broke.”

A third quipped: “Same here, I covet an ALDI one (even though they’re tiny) but I’m too afraid of their cashiers.”

“I’ve got a couple of Bunnings ones. So much easier than trying to find a box without a hole in it out the front,” another said.

A number of users were stunned by these confessions, with one person writing: “Reading the comments, didn’t know collecting corporate store baskets is actually a hobby.”

dop8gxj2dT0qBCkU-ypTcXL10gNUQyrHpyF5YKdQxFRQj1qwesVK8JuMFRdDv15qrJQRyUHC74G4JXbwMr50iFIBIxR4FYy69L_ofN2o2NOEZ-cXjgiJP7cmwOOBHNsvf2CtwMY

It is understood that the shopping baskets are property of the supermarket store.

However, not everyone approved of the shopper's actions, with some calling him out.

One comment read: “Or just pay 15c for one you tight ****.”

Others defended the man saying that other people should not lash out at him for taking the supermarket basket home with him as only Woolworths has the right to reprimand him.

One person wrote: “Fair go. This person’s misuse of property belonging to a multi-billion enterprise doesn’t impact your ability to obtain a basket.”

“This is between old mate and Woolies,” another said.

It is understood that the shopping baskets are the store's property and should be left on the store's premises when shoppers are finished using them.

Sponsored
The loss of these is not felt by the corporations. Their loss is factored into the price of goods and so in the end it is consumer who pays. I just makes it inconvenient for customers when the baskets disappear and there are less to use in store until they are replaced. And the replacement takes forever as it comes out of the stores budget and that is a well protected commodity.

A bizarre photo of a Woolworths shopper holding a shopping basket prompts social media users to confess an unlikely act

A wave of unlikely confessions has flooded social media after a photo of a Woolworths customer holding a shopping basket from his local supermarket store went viral.

An image of a Brisbane Woolies shopper is making the rounds on Reddit after it was shared by one user.

aaEnHCtT9z5qUjIlFUK_qwGNv4Wk87WXF3WKFP-EMhn2WlpD_pHVeMnhC8Clc-wG21aLTGp0aDcTi_PbLIlw6O0UkUO4D-IqeNNCTp73pqN_ovX2PxsxvhBs3IN2wHn-WN4IFc8

While the sight of a man holding a shopping basket is not a bizarre scene, as it turned out, the man was actually taking the lift in his apartment building when he was photographed.

Yes, you read that right, folks! The customer apparently took the basket home with him after a recent trip to his local Woolies store.

“Don’t forget your shopping bags,” the Reddit user wrote, explaining that he actually asked his neighbour if he could take his photo.

He also claimed that the man agreed, writing: “He said, ‘Pretty funny eh?’ So I asked if I could take a picture, which I did, and then he got off at his floor afterwards.”

The act has captured the attention of Reddit users, with many unexpectedly confessing to bringing supermarket baskets home.

One person wrote: “I have a few of these at home. I usually place them in my car and pack my groceries in them to get to the house."

The user revealed that he actually has baskets from Coles, Woolies, and Bunnings.

Another added: “I have a Woolworths and Coles one. I had an Officeworks one, but that broke.”

A third quipped: “Same here, I covet an ALDI one (even though they’re tiny) but I’m too afraid of their cashiers.”

“I’ve got a couple of Bunnings ones. So much easier than trying to find a box without a hole in it out the front,” another said.

A number of users were stunned by these confessions, with one person writing: “Reading the comments, didn’t know collecting corporate store baskets is actually a hobby.”

dop8gxj2dT0qBCkU-ypTcXL10gNUQyrHpyF5YKdQxFRQj1qwesVK8JuMFRdDv15qrJQRyUHC74G4JXbwMr50iFIBIxR4FYy69L_ofN2o2NOEZ-cXjgiJP7cmwOOBHNsvf2CtwMY

It is understood that the shopping baskets are property of the supermarket store.

However, not everyone approved of the shopper's actions, with some calling him out.

Others defended the man saying that other people should not lash out at him for taking the supermarket basket home with him as only Woolworths has the right to reprimand him.

One person wrote: “Fair go. This person’s misuse of property belonging to a multi-billion enterprise doesn’t impact your ability to obtain a basket.”

It is understood that the shopping baskets are the store's property and should be left on the store's premises when shoppers are finished using them.
Cirrect me if I’m wrong but isn’t that stealing. The baskets always remain the property of the business you “removed/ borrowed” the basket from- So stealing it is. Wouldn’t boast about it !

This is more widespread than you might think. When I worked in retail we lost 100 baskets in less than 3 months. In the end we put an employee on the exit doors with a bunch of bags offering to bag the customers purchases. This was back in the day when bags were free. The losses did drop but you've got to have eyes everywhere to try to curtail it.:(:mad:

It's terrible to see blatant stealing like being laughed at/admired - and others boasting about their dishonesty as well! My son once (!!) accidentally bought home a bunnings basket within a huge pile of goods. He got straight back into his car and returned it with apologies to the front desk at Bunnings - as his father & I taught him to.

This is NOT an issue between Wooies and the perpetrator: every item removed illegally from the store, including items on sale ("shoplifting") or trolleys .... or baskets, is factored into Woolies' (or Coles' or Aldi's) costs and are passed on to the customers!
NOT clever or funny! Sorry - it is basically theft.

Look, I’m very old school when it comes to things like this. The basket belongs to Woolies. They did not give the guy permission to bring it home with him. It’s theft pure and simple. Let those sticking up for him ask themselves how they’d feel if someone helped themselves to their property and wandered off with it.

Committing and defending this shows a massive sense of entitlement. And to those saying it doesn’t affect anyone but Woolies, consider the fact that Woolies have to pay for the baskets. When they get stolen, Woolies have to buy new ones. Woolies don’t absorb this cost. Woolies recoup this money by adding it to the cost of your groceries. It beats me how people can’t work this out.

Look, I’m very old school when it comes to things like this. The basket belongs to Woolies. They did not give the guy permission to bring it home with him. It’s theft pure and simple. Let those sticking up for him ask themselves how they’d feel if someone helped themselves to their property and wandered off with it.

Committing and defending this shows a massive sense of entitlement. And to those saying it doesn’t affect anyone but Woolies, consider the fact that Woolies have to pay for the baskets. When they get stolen, Woolies have to buy new ones. Woolies don’t absorb this cost. Woolies recoup this money by adding it to the cost of your groceries. It beats me how people can’t work this out.
Well said and now with the floods and the petrol price hike we are also going to be paying more for our goods. The shops do this for our convenience lets not kill a good thing.

It's called stealing people

I acquired a similar one legitimately when I was teaching and often got accused of pinching it from the shop. I didn't. Trust me....
Yes, I'm another ex-teacher who has several such bought baskets which I used for carrying text and student books and papers. A couple I take shopping are labelled 5A ESL and Junior English. But, can't lie, do have a Bunnings basket.

The loss of these is not felt by the corporations. Their loss is factored into the price of goods and so in the end it is consumer who pays. I just makes it inconvenient for customers when the baskets disappear and there are less to use in store until they are replaced. And the replacement takes forever as it comes out of the stores budget and that is a well protected commodity.
Not felt by the Corporations only because we, the general public pay for it.

It's terrible to see blatant stealing like being laughed at/admired - and others boasting about their dishonesty as well! My son once (!!) accidentally bought home a bunnings basket within a huge pile of goods. He got straight back into his car and returned it with apologies to the front desk at Bunnings - as his father & I taught him to.
you hope