71-year-old Home and Away star Lynne McGranger unveils new project: ‘I’m getting back to my roots’

Beloved Australian actress Lynne McGranger, best known for her role as the straight-talking Irene Roberts on Home and Away, is set to take a temporary break from the long-running soap to star in an original stage comedy, The Grandparents Club.

The 71-year-old performer shared the exciting news during an interview on The Morning Show, assuring fans that her departure from Summer Bay is only temporary.

McGranger has been a staple on Home and Away since 1993, making her the longest-serving female cast member of a TV soap in Australia.

During the interview, she expressed her excitement about returning to her roots in theatre.

‘(I’ll be going for) just a little while—not leaving anything permanently,’ Lynne said.

'I came from revue-type situations (shows)—from community theatre, all of that—I’m getting back to my roots, singing and dancing, interacting with the audience,' she said.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 105310.png
Lynne McGranger talks about her career and her new show, The Grandparents Club. Image: Seven

The Grandparents Club, penned by radio star Wendy Harmer, whom McGranger has known since the 1980s, promises to be a lively and engaging production.

‘The audience has come to the club called The Grandparents Club—there is a sauna, gym, spa, there’s bingo, there is trivia. It is a way of taking the mickey out of what people perceive grandparents to be,’ she said.

‘Which is, of course, old and doddery, but in fact, grandparents can be in their 40s these days, bungee jumping or climbing Everest.’

McGranger will be showcasing her singing talents in the show, although she modestly warned, 'I can hold a tune, and I can belt out a number, but I’m no Aretha Franklin.'

This will be her first musical since a small role in Legally Blonde: The Musical.

The actress also took the opportunity to reflect on her daughter Clancy's recent wedding, where she admitted to feeling a wave of emotion when images of her daughter in her wedding gown were displayed during the interview.

'Oh, I’m getting teary—it was the best day with the most remarkable people,' she said.

‘Our in-laws, or not mine, Clancy’s in-laws are divine. Their family and friends are divine. Everybody had the best time.’

‘It went as smooth as silk, and now I have a beautiful son-in-law (Luke) and they are having a great time at the moment in Mykonos—along with the rest of the world, apparently,’ she added.

‘And look, truly...we could not have asked for a better day.’

The wedding, which took place in Byron Bay, went off without a hitch, much to McGranger's relief.

'I think I had a rock of anxiety the size of Uluru in my chest for months leading up to and on the day,' she confessed.

‘Although it did dissipate during the day—I think the margaritas helped out!’

'But you know, seeing how chilled Clancy was, how fabulous her girlfriends, her attendants were, how fabulous the people (were) at the venue at Byron Bay—at The Farm, I can throw that in—and just seeing how smoothly everything was going, it all dissipated.'

McGranger's temporary departure from Home and Away will undoubtedly leave a void in the hearts of many fans.

However, her new venture promises to be an exciting change of pace for the actress and a chance for audiences to see her in a new light.

As she embarks on this new chapter in her career, we wish her all the best and look forward to her return to Summer Bay.

Key Takeaways
  • Lynne McGranger, star of Home and Away, is set to star in the stage production The Grandparents Club.
  • McGranger reassured fans she would only be leaving Summer Bay temporarily to pursue the stage project.
  • The Grandparents Club is a musical written by Wendy Harmer that highlights a comedic perspective on modern grandparenthood.
  • The actress has been with Home and Away since 1993 and became tearful discussing her daughter's wedding on The Morning Show.

What are your thoughts on Lynne McGranger’s new role? Are you a fan of hers? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored