7 Bizarre Habits That Could Mean You're Genetically a Genius—Are You One of Them?

It's often said that there's a fine line between genius and madness, and history is replete with tales of brilliant minds who danced on that line with their unconventional habits. From the disheveled hair of Albert Einstein to the nocturnal musings of Charles Darwin, it seems that eccentricities and intelligence often go hand in hand. But what if these quirks were more than just peculiarities? What if they were indicators of a high IQ?

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we've seen our fair share of life's oddities and have learned to appreciate the unique traits that make each of us who we are. So, let's delve into the seven odd behaviors that experts believe could be linked to a high IQ. You might just find that your own idiosyncrasies are signs of hidden genius!

compressed-shutterstock_2270012665.jpeg
Talking to oneself is linked to higher IQ and offers cognitive benefits like improved memory recall and focus. Credit: Shutterstock

1. The Soliloquy of Self-Talk
Do you ever catch yourself muttering under your breath while searching for your glasses or planning your day? Talking to oneself is often dismissed as a sign of distraction or even madness, but research suggests it could be a hallmark of a highly efficient brain. Studies have shown that self-directed speech can enhance memory recall, improve focus, and boost confidence. So, the next time you're caught chatting away to yourself, take pride in the fact that you're in good company with some of the brightest minds.

2. The Night Owl's Vigil
While early risers are often lauded for their discipline, it's the night owls who might be having the last laugh—or the last thought, as it were. Research indicates that those who burn the midnight oil tend to score higher on measures of cognitive ability. The quiet of the night may provide the perfect backdrop for deep thinking and creativity. So, if you find yourself most alive when the stars are out, it could be a sign of your intellectual prowess.

3. The Dreamer's Escape
Daydreaming is often frowned upon, especially when it happens at inopportune moments. However, letting your mind wander isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's been linked to higher levels of creativity and intellectual capacity. Daydreaming allows the brain to explore and make connections without the constraints of focused thinking. If your head is often in the clouds, you might just be exercising your brain in ways that others are not.

4. The Chaos of Creativity
A cluttered desk or a disorganized room is typically seen as a sign of disarray. Yet, for some of the most intelligent among us, a mess is not a problem but a breeding ground for innovation. Studies have found that working in a cluttered environment can lead to more creative thinking. It seems that a little disorder can encourage the mind to break free from convention and explore new ideas.

5. The Inquisitive Mind
Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also propelled the likes of Einstein to great intellectual heights. A relentless pursuit of knowledge and an insatiable curiosity are often indicative of a high IQ. Asking questions is how we learn and grow, and those with a high IQ never stop questioning the world around them. If you're always the one asking 'why' and 'how,' it's likely a testament to your intellectual curiosity.

6. The Introvert's Insight
While society often celebrates the extrovert, there's much to be said for the introspective nature of introverts. Many geniuses throughout history have preferred solitude to socializing, finding that peace and quiet are conducive to deep thought and concentration. Introverts are typically more engaged in internal contemplation, which can lead to more thorough and critical thinking—a key component of a high IQ.

7. The Voracious Reader
Finally, there's the unmistakable habit of reading. Devouring books is more than just a pastime; it's an exercise for the mind. Reading expands vocabulary, exposes one to new ideas, and fosters empathy. It's no surprise that many highly intelligent individuals are also voracious readers, constantly feeding their brains with fresh knowledge and perspectives.

So, dear members, do any of these behaviors resonate with you? Have you found yourself or your loved ones exhibiting these traits? It's possible that these quirks are not just quirks at all, but rather glimpses of a genius within. Whether you're a night owl, a daydreamer, or a bookworm, embrace your odd habits—they might just be the key to unlocking your intellectual potential.
Key Takeaways
  • Talking to oneself has been linked to having a high IQ and can bring cognitive benefits, including better memory recall and focus.
  • Staying up late may indicate a higher IQ, as night owls are said to score significantly higher on cognitive tests than early risers.
  • Daydreaming is associated with intelligence and creativity, and those with more efficient brains may daydream more frequently.
  • Curiosity, thriving in clutter, being introverted, and devouring books are behaviours that have been correlated with higher intellect and are signs of a genius mindset.
We'd love to hear from you in the comments below. Share with us your own peculiar habits and whether you think they're connected to intelligence. After all, the beauty of wisdom is that it often comes wrapped in the most unexpected packages.

Sponsored
I am definitely a voracious reader, my desk and my office come craft room and library is a bit messy. The rest of the house and my car is the opposite.
I like solitude and I am a night owl.
I am always trying to find out things, how they work etc.
Does 5 out of 7 traits mean I'm brainy.

Items 2,4,5,6 and 7. mmmm:cool:.
Last I checked I scored 167, my abstract thought allows me to visualise processes and their flaws. I investigated business financial records for fraud, computer hacking, money laundering and assets tracing

Last edited:
1. Yes I talk to myself
2. Definitely a night owl not a morning person.
3. Yes my mind is always wandering
Where was I ? Oh yes
4. Tidy house but not my craft room or desk.
5. Always want to know the why and wherefore.
6. Love me time.
7. Read every day.
All that said but I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination.

All of these are definitely me to a tee….except I can not stand mess of any kind, I am one for everything has a place and everything should be in its place.
So tidy is my desk that my pens and pencils are all evenly spaced apart…paperwork and folders on the opposite side all set out as I need them in order.
My work colleagues pay me out big time!! They tell me I am OCD, and I suppose I am, as I have many quirky things I do!!

Last edited:
1, 2, 3, 6, 7. My OCD doesn't let me cope with any kind of untidiness and although I occasionally question things I prefer to try and work it out on my own. Don't really like people in my personal bubble.

I’m obviously a genius lol. I do read a lot but not books, I read on line stuff constantly mainly history and information. I love the quietness of the midnight hours, I chat to myself constantl. As for being messy, it’s a constant battle not to be lol