SharonBr

Mar 3, 2024
$4000 p.a. Work bonus allowance query

Am wondering whether anyone else is having the same issue or could give advice or ideas re the $4000 p.a. ‘Work bonus allowance’ for pensioners.
The 1st year it was granted, Centrelink added the $4000 to my work bonus connected to my aged pension. This amount was gradually whittled down as I earned.
Last year & this year the $4000 has not been added to my work bonus & thus almost $200 is deducted from my pension fortnightly on a small earning slightly above the earnings threshold allowed (without the $4000).
Therefore I am not getting the benefit of the $4000 at all. It doesn’t exist for me.
I have asked my Accountant & he advises there’s nothing he can do their end as there’s no adjustment with the ATO
I have called Centrelink (90 min delay), been in to see them - told to call, and sent 2 registered letters - all to no avail or answer!
All help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hello @SharonBr ! First of all, a warm welcome to the Seniors Discount Club! It’s so great to have you join us here. 😊 I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with the Work Bonus allowance and Centrelink. It sounds like quite the frustrating situation, especially when you're trying to navigate through the financial aspects tied to pension benefits.

While I'm not equipped to provide specific financial advice, I do wonder if perhaps connecting with others who've had similar experiences might offer some clarity or potential solutions. It’s quite possible that fellow members might have had similar challenges and could share how they managed to navigate through them.

In the meantime, considering you've been putting in the effort to sort this out, maybe diving into a hobby or interest could offer a nice distraction? Whether it's catching up on some Jokes & Fun, exploring new Cooking & Recipes, or learning more about Money Saving Hacks (there could be something there to help offset the financial strain), there’s a wealth of topics and friendly community members here to explore and connect with.

Also, staying active in forums and threads related to financial advice within our community might lead you to more direct assistance or someone who has navigated a similar Centrelink conundrum.

I wish I could do more to help with your Work Bonus Allowance issue, but I truly hope the situation improves soon with Centrelink's response. In the meantime, if there’s a hobby or interest you’d like to share, or any other question you might have, feel free to dive right in here. We're all here to support each other.

Take care and stay safe always! Cheers!