30-Day Challenge: Learning a new skill — Crochet

Note from the Editor:
This article has been kindly written for the SDC by member Selyna B.

Dear readers,

I have been given the opportunity to partake in a 30-day challenge of my choosing. There are so many ideas out there for 30-day challenges, from physical, spiritual, and mental well-being, and food; I even saw a challenge to brush your teeth twice a day for 30 days (that's a story for another day), and the list goes on.

So, by now, you may be wondering what I chose as my challenge. After a lot of research and deciding what I wanted to get out of this challenge. I decided to learn a new skill in 30 days.

In recent times, I have become very aware of my mental health. My mind has been very scattered and never switches off. I wanted to slow my mind down and concentrate on the task at hand whilst learning a new skill.

So, the time has come to tell you what I have decided will be my 30-day challenge.

Crochet.

Yes, you read that right. In 30 days, I'm going to learn how to crochet. I know that there will be readers out there who have already mastered this skill. I'm a young 53-year-old, and this is something I have never done, and I'm excited to give it a try.

I invite you to follow me through this 30-day challenge. My main goals will be, firstly, can I learn this craft and what effect it has on my mental well-being.

DAY 1

I'm excited to get started on my challenge. I don't have a format on how to commence this challenge, and I don't have anyone to teach me how to crochet.

I decided the best place to start was heading to my local Lincraft; everything I needed should be there.

I was totally lost looking at crochet hooks, wool, and patterns. I was thinking that maybe I should give up straight away. Then I found a crochet box kit in the kid's craft section called Too Cute CROCHET Aussie Animals ($15). This product looks great; it must be easy to learn if it is in the kid's section. Things are looking up; we are off to a great start.

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 3.43.54 pm.png
The crochet kit. Image Credit: Lincraft

As I move forward with my 30-day challenge, I'm not going to write every day. Instead, I will report in weekly blocks. Though as I am just starting out, I will fill you in on the first few day's progress.

DAY 2

It's time to open the boxed crochet kit and get started. The first page in the instruction book indicates that it is for 12 years and up. I thought to myself, this was going to be easy until I turned to the next page, and it gave very basic instructions on how to crochet. To me, it was like reading another language; I had absolutely no idea what was written in front of me.

I consider myself to be a creative person. I'm a chef. I have learnt the craft of silversmithing and have undertaken numerous other endeavours, but this was a whole new world I was entering into.

Day 2 was a bust. I packed the box up. I'm ready to give up again; then I remind myself that this is a challenge; it's not meant to be easy. I needed to come up with a game plan on how to navigate this challenge.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Congratulations on giving something new a try, practice makes perfect and you pick up speed and dexterity as you go along.
I come from a very crafty family. My father won many prizes for his tapestries.
My mother taught me to knit when I was about 5, also to crochet. When I was a little older she taught me how to sew, make my own clothes,
.curtains, etc.
I also do macrame, diamond dot pictures,
In my 30s I made a quilt for the baby of my best friend, in the shape of a teddy bear. Believe it or not this ended up being a baby Manchester manufacturing business, went Australia wide with agents in every state. I ran this business for about 10 years.
When I remarried, along with my husband we started our own renovation business, a new venture for me. A few years later we started flipping houses. I learnt interior design and then ventured into selling the houses myself.
I'm a great believer in you can do anything you put your mind to.

Congratulations Selyna! I only decided to learn to crochet a few years ago, I did try when I was younger & got as far as making circles but they wouldn’t stay flat so I moved on (didn’t realise you had to make an extra chain). A lovely older lady at the craft group I was attending helped me & I was on my way. I remember not knowing how to hold the yarn and wrangle the hook but it does get easier. About 4 years ago I saw this beautiful crocheted baby blanket with a teddy bear on it so down loaded the pattern then looked at it in horror, it was totally foreign to me. I discovered it was Corner to Corner crochet so then I had to learn how to do that. I found a really good tutorial on YouTube & after watching several times I was away. I have now made about six of these blankets & have just finished a dog for my neighbours new baby. I also made unicorn scarves for all the small girls that I know & I’ve moved onto making blankets, mainly to keep my arthritic fingers moving. I have always knitted & love to sew & make jewellery but at 71 have slowed down a bit. Maybe in time you might challenge yourself to learn C2C crochet also.

Maybe we need a craft etc section so that we can share the things we do and most importantly ask for advice if we get in a tangle. I’ve taught a few friends to crochet & Im often only a step ahead of them, especially when they wanted to do granny squares and flowers, that was tricky, but I’ll have a go at most things. One of the ladies is in her 90’s and she has been amazing, and has certainly pushed me at times. She still likes to make necklaces etc. Being creative certainty does help with one’s mental health. We all need other things to occupy our minds.

I make pretty crystal suncatchers, gemstone and shell hangers and jewellery. I sell them at markets for a bit of pocket money and social contact which is great for my mental health. Most of the money I earn goes back into craft supplies. I have also taught friends and run a couple of workshops for my suncatchers. I am looking to do macrame after attending a free workshop at my local adult education campus. We made a pot plant holder ( mine was a bit wonky but still functional ). My grandmother taught me basic knitting and crochet when I was about eight but have not done either for many years. Mum taught me to sew and I made a few things for myself in my teens. I'm 74 and always open to new crafts.

Note from the Editor:

Dear readers,

I have been given the opportunity to partake in a 30-day challenge of my choosing. There are so many ideas out there for 30-day challenges, from physical, spiritual, and mental well-being, and food; I even saw a challenge to brush your teeth twice a day for 30 days (that's a story for another day), and the list goes on.

So, by now, you may be wondering what I chose as my challenge. After a lot of research and deciding what I wanted to get out of this challenge. I decided to learn a new skill in 30 days.

In recent times, I have become very aware of my mental health. My mind has been very scattered and never switches off. I wanted to slow my mind down and concentrate on the task at hand whilst learning a new skill.

So, the time has come to tell you what I have decided will be my 30-day challenge.

Crochet.

Yes, you read that right. In 30 days, I'm going to learn how to crochet. I know that there will be readers out there who have already mastered this skill. I'm a young 53-year-old, and this is something I have never done, and I'm excited to give it a try.

I invite you to follow me through this 30-day challenge. My main goals will be, firstly, can I learn this craft and what effect it has on my mental well-being.

DAY 1

I'm excited to get started on my challenge. I don't have a format on how to commence this challenge, and I don't have anyone to teach me how to crochet.

I decided the best place to start was heading to my local Lincraft; everything I needed should be there.

I was totally lost looking at crochet hooks, wool, and patterns. I was thinking that maybe I should give up straight away. Then I found a crochet box kit in the kid's craft section called Too Cute CROCHET Aussie Animals ($15). This product looks great; it must be easy to learn if it is in the kid's section. Things are looking up; we are off to a great start.

View attachment 32895

As I move forward with my 30-day challenge, I'm not going to write every day. Instead, I will report in weekly blocks. Though as I am just starting out, I will fill you in on the first few day's progress.

DAY 2

It's time to open the boxed crochet kit and get started. The first page in the instruction book indicates that it is for 12 years and up. I thought to myself, this was going to be easy until I turned to the next page, and it gave very basic instructions on how to crochet. To me, it was like reading another language; I had absolutely no idea what was written in front of me.

I consider myself to be a creative person. I'm a chef. I have learnt the craft of silversmithing and have undertaken numerous other endeavours, but this was a whole new world I was entering into.

Day 2 was a bust. I packed the box up. I'm ready to give up again; then I remind myself that this is a challenge; it's not meant to be easy. I needed to come up with a game plan on how to navigate this challenge.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Quite a few years ago I was put into hospital with symptoms of what the doctors advised was acute stress, at the time I had no idea that severe stress could manifist in physical symptoms, I guess you learn something new all the time. I was kept in bed for a week, which drove me crazy as I always need to be doing something unfortunately I could not even read a book during that time because I was not able to switch my brain off enough to concentrate on the words on the page I was looking at. the doctors wanted to put me on tranquilizers to try and calm me down but I refused to take them. so an endless round of people trying to teach me yoga or Tai che to try and calm my mind began, mostly to no avail as that whole excercise just irritated me. A girlfriend at the time thought that teaching me how to crochet might help. Why she thought it would I have no idea, I have never learned to knit or even sew in a straight line, I am known for being extremely impatient, needing to have an immediate outcome with anything that I do even as a child it was a struggle to keep me focused on anything that would keep me occupied. I told my well meaning girl friend that she would be wasting her time but she just smiled calmly and kept on with the instructions. I would love to say that she was successful if only for her sake but no I never did learn how to crochet. I have the greatest admiration for people who can sit there quietly knitting or crocheting especially those who do not even have to look at their hands while the magic is happening, sort of like comparing it to those able to touch type which is something else I cannot do, I always have to look at what my fingers are doing. Yes I do have High blood pressure and have also been told that I exhibit symptoms of OCD as well as being an extreme perfectionist, a counsellor has also advised that had these symptoms been recognised when I was young my parents would have been told that I had ADHD but of course that was not a known thing then, children like me were just called irritating hyper active Brats.

Reactions: Ezzy
Note from the Editor:

Dear readers,

Crochet.

DAY 1

View attachment 32895

DAY 2

I would just like a Crochet group I have Crochet for year
Carina
Keep going Carina. Crocheting is such a great hobby & I’ve only crocheted the last four or so years & find it relaxing as well as enjoyable. My hands need to keep busy but I do have to rest awhile when the aches take over. I still have to watch what I’m doing & I hate all the counting but we do need to do stuff. And welcome to SDC

Note from the Editor:

Dear readers,

Crochet.

DAY 1

View attachment 32895

DAY 2

Quite a few years ago I was put into hospital with symptoms of what the doctors advised was acute stress, at the time I had no idea that severe stress could manifist in physical symptoms, I guess you learn something new all the time. I was kept in bed for a week, which drove me crazy as I always need to be doing something unfortunately I could not even read a book during that time because I was not able to switch my brain off enough to concentrate on the words on the page I was looking at. the doctors wanted to put me on tranquilizers to try and calm me down but I refused to take them. so an endless round of people trying to teach me yoga or Tai che to try and calm my mind began, mostly to no avail as that whole excercise just irritated me. A girlfriend at the time thought that teaching me how to crochet might help. Why she thought it would I have no idea, I have never learned to knit or even sew in a straight line, I am known for being extremely impatient, needing to have an immediate outcome with anything that I do even as a child it was a struggle to keep me focused on anything that would keep me occupied. I told my well meaning girl friend that she would be wasting her time but she just smiled calmly and kept on with the instructions. I would love to say that she was successful if only for her sake but no I never did learn how to crochet. I have the greatest admiration for people who can sit there quietly knitting or crocheting especially those who do not even have to look at their hands while the magic is happening, sort of like comparing it to those able to touch type which is something else I cannot do, I always have to look at what my fingers are doing. Yes I do have High blood pressure and have also been told that I exhibit symptoms of OCD as well as being an extreme perfectionist, a counsellor has also advised that had these symptoms been recognised when I was young my parents would have been told that I had ADHD but of course that was not a known thing then, children like me were just called irritating hyper active Brats.
Good on you for trying 😀

I took up crotcheting in my late 20's making small items including a blanket for our eldest daughter's toy cot. In my 30's & 40's it was a single bed blanket for each of our daughters (4 of them).

I was also doing some carpentry then & really got interested for the next 20 plus years before taking up mosaics around 7 years ago. I enjoy this a lot for the interesting objects we make & the fellowship from doing this twice weekly with 2 different groups at the same location. The challenge each term is optional but always a challenge for every person taking part. We are told what to make with a list of products to use but the planning & design are a left to the student. Some amazing pieces come out of our groups. Up to approx 2 years ago l was the only male in these classes but have now been joined by another male in each group.

Together with mosaicing, approx 3 years ago l took up card making twice a month with an instructor (at our local Dome Cafe), with the option of making one or two cards. These are great sessions for the 2 hours each time, lots of laughs & chatting & again 2 different groups of people. At both of these groups l am the only male. Guess this is not a male domain?.

Reactions: PattiB
Note from the Editor:

Dear readers,

Crochet.

DAY 1

View attachment 32895

DAY 2

Challenges are good . Not always enjoyable but satisying. Yesterday we got the new phone + TV set up with a/cs + passwords. Hours of slow data input on strange remote keys. Patience was winner , but only just. Our house is for sale + YouTube videos gave me cofidence to plaster + seal minor repairs .; our painters appreciated the efforts. Never say Never....

Well done Selyna, it is never too late to start a new hobby or sport .
My mother and grandmother were both very arty crafty and so is my daughter as well . I started off with a Tapestry project when I was 12 yrs of age , it took me a long time to finish that one , being a teenager I had other interest as well.
I made a lot of clothes for myself , like dresses skirts , tops etc.
Later on I started with cross stitching and they are extremely fine , I did at least 20 projects and they are all professionally framed and my visitors think that I should send them in on a show , but I’m afraid they will be stolen . Then I have done 4 tartan rug crochet rugs and they look beautiful and colourful . About 5 yrs ago I wanted a quilt for my kingsize bed , had no experience with quilting , but I finished it , also Y-tube helped , then I did one for the spare bedroom , a queen size quilt . Since than I have done table runners , all quilted and before X-mas I plan to make matching place mats .
As I am very versatile, I have done a lot of walking , long distance that is and I am very proud of the biggest challenge I have done is walking the whole distance of the Larapinta Trail in the Northern Territory , which is 225 km and went a few times the wrong way , so walked a lot more than that . Wearing a backpack of 25 kg+ take water sometimes for 3 days ,tent , sleeping bag , all dry food , snacks etc . This was when I was over 60 yrs of age , no wonder I had a hip replacement about 6 yrs ago , but it does not stop me from exercising.I was working full-time as well when I did this .
Since about 6 months I joined a craft group and there are very talented people and all willing to help and share their experience.
Keep going Selyna , you sound very versatile.

Note from the Editor:

Dear readers,

Crochet.

DAY 1

View attachment 32895

DAY 2