15 Laundry Hacks That Will Save You Time and Money

Some of you folks may think differently, but we bet that for many of us here, doing the laundry can be quite the hassle. Even though doing laundry is necessary and unavoidable, there is some solace in knowing that we are not the only ones that struggle with this.

There are a lot of brilliant people out there who share their laundry hacks to make life a little easier for those of us who need it.

We are grateful to our friends at Better Homes & Gardens, who have compiled a list of the most helpful tips and tricks that will make washing the laundry a breeze, and we hope you find them useful as well.

Here are the ones that made it to the list:

bwW98j76MOWXxfoIWC1CfK-KM1VmZJyeOowx5MVtJWzHMqDzs6ZBOHQjF50YO2UsKdhu1nqxGvDq_vyFq_y9MYJ0NmjSxHcbOABZK8NtugetLJvDDP5nhKGZhvQEAdXlaqxXCxxkgMEBCI41Me7dcKE

Credit: Getty.

1. Use colour-coded coat hangers to hang up all of your clothes

One mum from Brisbane has a handy solution for whenever you feel that washing, drying, and folding are never-ending chores.

According to mum-of-two Leanne Neiland, having a different colour coat hanger for each member of her family cuts hours off her laundry time.

Once she's done with the laundry, she just needs to hang everything up on coat hangers (except the underwear) and put it on a rolling clothes rack to dry. After it has had enough time to dry, everyone brings their clean clothes back to their own bedrooms.

2. Use a duck board across the sink to increase bench space in the laundry

Several Kmart shoppers have been using the $15 wooden duck board for an entirely different purpose.

It was originally designed to prevent slipping on a wet floor when you step out of the shower. However, more and more clever mums are using the duck board across the sink to increase bench space in the laundry.

The detergent and fabric softener may therefore be conveniently stored in the sink while the washing basket is supported by the duck board on top.

3. Use a teaspoon to protect buttons while ironing

Are you sick and tired of your shirt buttons breaking or coming undone? Faulty sewing, broken buttons, or wear and tear from washing, drying, and ironing may contribute to the issue in some cases.

You folks probably already know this, but you should never iron over buttons. Simply place a teaspoon over each button, then iron the surrounding area.

4. Use aluminium foil to cut your ironing time in half

If you place a sheet of aluminium foil (shiny side up) underneath the cover of your ironing board, you will significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to iron your clothes.

The foil will keep the iron's heat and help you get rid of wrinkles on both sides of the fabric.

9xxtvFEsViiS7DI_G06l61f4KUzu5sMFVzMmG-p_9kfwMqBRWoVV5-7H0RQfMQaRRJfHbJvLMuauQZcD29IlZstMUsWmaPvkF_24TkXsrJke3iVu_OOU1eRRdCZhr_e5G0OjFKXTPQNuklsAvw9-DqU

To really speed up your ironing time, put a layer of aluminium foil under your ironing board cover. Credit: Downy.

5. Use baby shampoo to unshrink clothes

Accidentally shrinking your clothing is a typical laundry blunder, but it's not the end of the world. Different kinds of fabrics shrink for different reasons, but heat is usually the main cause. (This means that washing your clothes in extremely hot water isn't always a good idea!)

Thankfully, there is a solution to repair the damage, and all you need is baby shampoo or a mild conditioner.

Start by adding 1 tbsp of the shampoo or conditioner to a bowl or bucket of lukewarm water. Then soak the shrunken clothing in water for 30 minutes to allow the fibres to loosen.

Squeeze the clothes to get rid of the water, but don't rinse them. Place the clothes on a dry towel and roll the towel to squeeze out as much water as you can.

Place the clothes to dry on another towel. Stretch it back into place and let it dry naturally. You might want to use pins to keep it in place while it dries.

Using baby shampoo to wash your clothes will also make them super soft!

6. Use aspirin to remove tissues from clothes

Even though it is really frustrating to find that you have mistakenly put a tissue through the wash with your clothes, you may be surprised to know that it's actually really simple to remove them from fabric.

Here is what you need to do: First, give the clothes a good shake to remove as much tissue paper as possible.

The next step is to dissolve four aspirin tablets in some warm water, and then soak the garments for around two hours. After that, give the clothes a quick rinse in the washing machine and then hang them out to dry.

Once the clothes are dry, you'll see that the tissue specks have totally disappeared.

7. Pop a dry towel in your dryer to quicken dry time

Hanging laundry outside on a line isn't always a smart idea due to rain, humidity in the air, low temperatures, and overcast days. Putting your clothes in the tumble dryer can sometimes work, but depending on what they are made of, it isn't always the best choice.

If you have to use the dryer, putting a completely dry bath towel in with the wet clothes will help them dry faster.

You can also add a tennis ball to make sure the fabric gets air, and make sure to empty the lint filter after every load since a full filter means the clothes will take longer to dry and can be a fire hazard.

8. DIY laundry dryer sheets

Want to use something natural instead of dryer sheets? Try this all-natural and antibacterial alternative that smells great too. To make one, you will need a plastic container, some sponges, a natural hair conditioner, tea tree oil, and lavender essential oil.

And here's what you need to do: First, cut the sponges to fit your container. Put these smaller pieces in the container as well. Fill about half of your container with water. Add about 2 tablespoons of conditioner to the water and whisk to combine.

Then, add 1 teaspoon of tea-tree oil, which kills bacteria naturally, and 1 teaspoon of lavender essential oil, which has a calming smell. Whisk again. Fill the container with your sponges. Keep them in a cool, dry place until you need them.

Squeeze out any extra water, and then put one in the dryer with your other clothes. And you're done.

You won't believe how incredibly fluffy and fragrant your laundry will be after using this DIY laundry sheet!

5ycMuATxqfWjc7ghmZ1QOGBmqOjyztrXZffHdpWv7aOoEhu5jKKaIGHSg6al_7IMybCx-96knPkoZAf_oIlCBCpTqiw6t5u24Rkv3_kIAbrugGXIuou6RejQtVFtcsf2tEblwjFPKWwom_xeaGQ9ZmM

Credit: The Spruce.

9. Use vodka to get rid of laundry odours

If your towels still smell after a normal wash, this hack could be the answer to getting rid of the smell. All you need is a bit of vodka! (And no, you won't be drinking it...)

Pour 1 cup of vodka into the tub of the washing machine as the water fills it. For coloured towels, use warm water, and for white towels, use hot water. Put some laundry soap in the tub. Put a load of towels in the washing machine once the detergent is in.

Stop the machine once the tub is full and let the towels soak for an hour. Soaking will let the soap and the vodka, which gets rid of smells, get deep into the fibres of the towels to clean them well.

After letting them soak in the mixture of vodka, laundry detergent, and water, wash the towels as you normally would.

For the best results, don't put too many towels in the tub of the washing machine. They need to be able to breathe to get clean. When you wash towels in small loads, they dry faster and better.

10. Use vinegar to prevent your towels from going crusty on the clothesline

If the weather permits, the best way to dry towels is on a clothesline. By doing this, you'll not only save money on electricity costs but you'll also expose the towels to the sun's UV rays, which might eliminate any bacteria that may still be on them.

Unfortunately, drying towels on a clothesline can make them feel a little stiff. Thankfully, there is an easy fix for this! All you have to do is add a bit of vinegar to the rinse cycle.

11. Leave your washing machine door open when not in use

Make sure you leave the door of your washing machine open between cycles to keep mould and dirt from getting out of hand. Regularly wiping out the interior of the seal with a cloth and household cleanser will also help to disinfect it.

12. Use shaving cream as a stain remover

Shaving cream is a wonderful stain remover since it foams up and contains chemicals similar to those found in liquid soaps. You can use it to spot-clean rugs and remove stubborn stains from clothing and towels.

ivDz0U9HrBQWXSvBuajrgeSVeNCN_Dgzb__68qmQwRIws2psGVUVnvadPSQ8kan137mQ_JWNGQeqxq0c22EEku9e5GwaEyImCV_xu4bV6at5DRtQn6SwtnN7AZG_o-4AkVGci3fCxqIuiD-TxA5XRDA

Credit: The Spruce.

13. Wash your detergent cap

Did you know that you can keep your cap from getting a buildup of washing liquid by washing it with your clothes? Just remember not to put it along with the clothes in the dryer!

14. Use chalk to treat grease stains.

Because chalk is so absorbent, it works great as a pre-wash stain treatment. Before washing an item of clothing that has oil stains on it, you can easily remove the grease by rubbing chalk into the stain.

15. Wash socks in a laundry bag

It should not come as a surprise to you that your washing machine is wolfing down your socks. We've all probably lost a couple of pairs at this point...

When you take your socks off, immediately place them in a laundry bag, and wash all of your socks together in the same load. This will ensure that your socks stay in pairs.

There you have it, folks! We hope that you and your family will find these laundry tips and methods useful.

If you have any additional tips for doing the laundry, please feel free to leave them for us in the comments section below. We’re sure other members will greatly appreciate it!

Sponsored
When my kids were little enough that they wanted to "help" it used to take me most of the day to do the washing. We had one of those extender lines with five lines on it, one each for Dad, Mum, one each child and one for household things. Each child would take something out of the basket, we would decide whose line it went on, the other child would then take the correct colour pegs out of the basket and I would hang it up. When eventually everything was hung up we would talk about who had the most washing (usually dad as his clothes were bigger) but then we would count to make sure, we would also count how many of a given colour there was By doing this my kids learnt their colours, learnt to count and also learnt that bigger does not always mean the most. To this day I still colour co-ordinate my pegs to whatever I'm hanging, it just doesn't look right otherwise!!:)

Softener apparently ruins your washing machine so I read recently ! So I changed to using vinegar and find it just as good. Along with Aldi washing liquid I’m quids in ! Thank you all for the great tips.💕

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Tip #9....use 1 cup vodka....that is 1/3 rd of a bottle....at around $40/bottle equals $10+. Could buy a new towel for that!
Yep! I nearly spat out my coffee reading that 'tip' - whoever dreamt that one up needs to get their priorities seen to 🤣

Reactions: Evol P and Ricci
When my kids were little enough that they wanted to "help" it used to take me most of the day to do the washing. We had one of those extender lines with five lines on it, one each for Dad, Mum, one each child and one for household things. Each child would take something out of the basket, we would decide whose line it went on, the other child would then take the correct colour pegs out of the basket and I would hang it up. When eventually everything was hung up we would talk about who had the most washing (usually dad as his clothes were bigger) but then we would count to make sure, we would also count how many of a given colour there was By doing this my kids learnt their colours, learnt to count and also learnt that bigger does not always mean the most. To this day I still colour co-ordinate my pegs to whatever I'm hanging, it just doesn't look right otherwise!!:)
My daughter picked me up for peg colour coding only the other day! Said she couldn't believe I still did it 🤣🤣 but that's how my mum trained me ...... I thought I'd passed it on but apparently I'm a failure there 🙃