15 Hacks to Save You Money on Groceries - These simple tips will help slash your grocery bill each month!

Looking to save on your grocery bill? Mammamia members have some great tips to help you out!

From cutting out unnecessary items to tips on bulk buying, these ladies know how to save big on groceries. So take some notes and get ready to save some serious cash!

1. Wombok as a lettuce substitute

Looking for a cheap lettuce substitute? Look no further than the humble wombok! Also known as ‘Chinese cabbage’, this leafy green is great raw or cooked, and can be used in stir-fries, salads, or anything else you can think of. So next time you're in the supermarket, ditch the lettuce and go for the wombok!

2. Shop at specialty stores for fresh produce

Is it time to rethink your fruit and veggie shopping habits?

We all know that fresh fruits and vegetables are essential for a healthy diet. But did you know that you can save money and support local growers by shopping at markets and specialty stores?

Here's what Mammamia members have to say:

"We spend far less on our fruit and vegetables at markets than we do at supermarkets. We basically only buy in season, which helps as well." - Karagh.

"Shop at markets because it is better for the growers and your hip pocket." - Alison.

qBGhYEp2r8VNaE0e3j8bn-wGjNDD-oSenz6hSEeTH0-jy2jwONPL2GXo0Bxvq7IeFwUDuSuzQ0dJMV3fBmPi8JT2rt4ReBdRX0pqzt0vCAoggAqCadQEIRUAokm40XvY_1Jik4xS6f2eoLj5

There are a number of ways to reduce your grocery bills without the hassle of hunting for bargains. Credit: Creative Touch Imaging Ltd./NurPhoto via Getty Images.

3. Go to Asian grocers for a variety

Mammamia member Misa shared that she grabs some staples at Asian grocers, writing: "I go to Asian grocery stores all the time for dried food like noodles or rice. I also get condiments like soy sauce and there is much more variety there as well!"

4. Stick to seasonal fruits and vegetables

Right now, many traditional salad items like lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers are expensive due to floods and transport costs. However, pumpkin, potatoes, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and other winter vegetables are still relatively cheap.

Make sure to check what's in season before you fill up your cart! We recommend checking out this article to learn more about what's in season this winter.

5. Frozen food is cheap AND good

You can find meals for as little as $3, and they're usually pretty tasty too. Plus, you don't have to spend any time cooking them – just pop them in the microwave and you're good to go. Whether you're in the mood for a hearty curry or a simple pasta dish, there are plenty of options to choose from.

6. Buy in bulk

We all know that feeling of being in the grocery store and seeing the "Buy One, Get One Free" sign. Or, even better, the "10 for $10" deal. But what we don't always realize is that we can save even more money by buying in bulk.

Mammamia members shared their insights on bulk buying:

"I buy in bulk where I can because it's usually cheaper.... For example, I buy those kilo tub of yoghurts instead of those little individual pots. I also buy a kilo of bacon that I then split into little piles and freeze for when I need a serving." - Gem.

"We get bulk meat delivered and then our usual grocery shop delivered so I don’t pick up things just because." - Maddie.

Did you know that on the Coles, Aldi and Woolies websites, you can sort items by their unit price to help you find the best value for money?

pn89Q69lwPxe-VxyyGpDapfpqGdAEww2-RLZ8NdQIIlIkRmdViwoBVMAaapRheFsN6WZ2BtI19-ecfG6vJGx1t96r7LOVZjWDSs5oYK01Q0bwL-UMN0M8a32Ffkxs-cKQTR4S62Th3Ad7Ppk

You can sort items by their unit price. Source: Woolworths website

7. Strive for zero waste

Trying to go zero waste can be a great way to save money and help the environment – if you're willing to put in the work. Planning your meals carefully is key to avoiding waste, and if you're really diligent, you can make sure that every scrap of food gets used up. It's not always easy, but it can be very rewarding.

3PP28Qjew6GhvA3a-ud3TYvtdfAh1iji7MT79a2PrsYsOx8N60STggxMbwHcXelDnowH17n__N7kPTwF9nZ5uAuB7N4QuMeUsHZbrOKW5RYe4YJWeS3b8fixrMXe3azgC-gUS_oI0wmbJq2y

There are plenty of budget-friendly options at Asian grocers. Credit: Laura Grier.

8. Only do your shopping once a week

If you're looking to save some money at the supermarket, it is advisable to go to supermarkets only once a week and make a meal plan based on the weekly specials, which are released every Wednesday at both Coles and Woolies. And if you really want to save even more, it was suggested to do a big shop at the beginning of the weekend and then avoid the temptation to go back for smaller items.

9. Don't shop when you're hungry

If you're one of those people who love to shop when they're hungry, then this tip is for you! We all know the feeling of being hangry (hungry and angry at the same time) and seeing something that we just HAVE to have. But more often than not, those impulse buys end up leading to buyer’s remorse.

Next time you're feeling peckish before heading to the store, make sure to eat something first! That way you'll be less likely to put everything and anything in your basket. Trust us, your wallet (and your belly) will thank you for it.

10. Plan meals that complement each other

Who has time to cook multiple meals from scratch every week? Not us! We're all about quick, easy, and delicious meals that don't leave us with a ton of leftovers.

That's why we love this tip about planning meals that complement each other. By using similar ingredients in different dishes, you can cut down on waste and save time (and money!) in the kitchen.

If it is you are new to meal planning, we recommend checking out this video:

Credit: YouTube/Pro Home Cooks

11. Keep a list of the supplies you have in your pantry and fridge

Mammamia member Kaitlyn said that doing this practice allows you to estimate the amount of essentials you need to purchase.

She said: "Keep a stock take of what’s in your pantry and freezer. I buy more meat than is needed for a recipe and stash the rest in the freezer. I make sure it is clearly labelled and written on a list. When you go to make something, check what’s in the freezer and use that – it also saves leftovers going off in the fridge that you forget about. Less waste!"

svdZFlrYyDwirnVIzvEL9vO1di9hniLCzOHZ3sbeijCsCWvE3dV5oXlFL280GMi2i41xSl9v9c-TH2B2tW8KJqdJXHd_t0-0UWB9Fxz3oCKjRVP2C0rf6IZZlobFLMAQsKWxbg0RipHDLOmw

We often forget that we can save money by buying in bulk. Credit: NC State University.

12. Meal planning and keeping a record of recipes

If you're someone who's always forgetting what you have in the fridge or what you need to make for dinner, then you need to know about meal planning. Trust us, it will change your life.

Meal planning is basically when you plan out all of the meals you're going to make in a week. This means that you'll know exactly what you need to buy at the grocery store, and you won't have any surprises when it comes to what's for dinner.

If you're thinking that meal planning sounds like a lot of work, we get it. But once you get into the habit of doing it, it's seriously so easy. Plus, it will save you so much time and money in the long run.

13. Be flexible with your shopping

If you're tired of spending a fortune at the grocery store, it's time to learn to substitute and make do. Instead of buying specific ingredients for each meal, get what is affordable and will suffice for the dish you're making.

For example, some common substitutions aside from the lettuce/wombok one we mentioned above are cauliflower as an alternative for broccoli and kale for lettuce.

14. Click & Collect

We've all been there. You're at the grocery store, trying to figure out what to make for dinner. You wander up and down the aisles, looking for inspiration. But then you remember that you're supposed to be on a budget. You need to get in and out quickly, without spending too much money.

That's where Click & Collect comes in. With Click & Collect, you can shop for groceries from the comfort of your own home. You can take your time to browse the options and find the best deals. Plus, you can be sure that you're getting exactly what you need. No more wasted money on impulse buys! You simply put in your order, and it’s there waiting for you at the store.

15. Don't Shop with your grandkids

We all love our grandkids, but let's face it: they can be very persuasive when it comes to buying impulse items. If you're looking to save some money, one of the best things you can do is leave your grandkids at home when you go grocery shopping.

Sure, it might be fun to have them around for a while, but those cheeky little ones will really blow the budget if you let them.

So, there you have it, folks! Will you be giving these tips a go? Also, do you know other tips for reducing your grocery bills while shopping?

Sponsored
I buy the trays of pork steaks and beef (ideal for schnitzel) in Woolies for $10/$12 a tray and freeze in lots of 2, that is 8 meals ..... 1 K of mince I divide into 4 and freeze and then I can make rissoles, chow mein, shepherd's pie, spaghetti sauce all for $12, of course the vegies are extra but makes for cheap meals if you are on your own. 1 small tray of sausages makes curried sausages and I freeze them into lots of 4 and still have a few left over to have with mash, peas and gravy. Lots of ways to save.

I buy the trays of pork steaks and beef (ideal for schnitzel) in Woolies for $10/$12 a tray and freeze in lots of 2, that is 8 meals ..... 1 K of mince I divide into 4 and freeze and then I can make rissoles, chow mein, shepherd's pie, spaghetti sauce all for $12, of course the vegies are extra but makes for cheap meals if you are on your own. 1 small tray of sausages makes curried sausages and I freeze them into lots of 4 and still have a few left over to have with mash, peas and gravy. Lots of ways to save.
I break them up also as its not cheap to buy for one- small amounts always seem to cost more- so bulk buy to gain less cost and then split and freeze.. Freezing is only way to go.

I do a big shop of about $150-$180 once a month and then restrict the rest of my shopping to under $100 /week for that month. At those levels I find that I can buy some articles for the "stock" cupboard each month which means that on heavy spending months (I'm thinking car/home insurance etc) I can live out of my stock cupboard and not go shopping at all.:)

• Love
Reactions: Gaena
As a Pensioner, I shop at Aldi every fortnight when the pension is paid. This way I buy bread & freeze it as we have specific choices in what we eat as a family. I also buy meat direct from the farm as it is free-range & tastes wonderful. I also buy any reduced meat at the stores as the delivery from the farm doesn't last for a full month as I can only afford to buy the smallest box. I, myself am very fussy about what I eat being bought up in England during the war when we grew all our own food & animals for meat. I never eat rice or spaghetti in fact I would rather not eat than eat those things I also never eat mince. I do however buy it for the rest of the family who are not as fussy as me!

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
Who likes coffee? The price of which is exorbitant so i buy the Nescafe satches of 10 in a box. I wait until they are half price $3.50 as opposed to $7.00. If i run out i buy the larger box for $11.00 and get 26 satches. So a cup of coffee costs me $0.35 per cup

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci
Who likes coffee? The price of which is exorbitant so i buy the Nescafe satches of 10 in a box. I wait until they are half price $3.50 as opposed to $7.00. If i run out i buy the larger box for $11.00 and get 26 satches. So a cup of coffee costs me $0.35 per cup
Hi Geoff8,I love coffee,I do buy the Nescafe satches,but it's not the same as having a coffee in my local coffee shop.Cheers Paula.

Reactions: Ricci
Hi Geoff8,I love coffee,I do buy the Nescafe satches,but it's not the same as having a coffee in my local coffee shop.Cheers Paula.
I too love the coffee from the coffee shop which I’ll get about 2 a week and at $4.50 for a regular is a pleasure. When the wife goes for her hair appointment I make a coffee from home and take it with me.

Reactions: Ricci