108-year-old woman's life-changing secret revealed: Dogs over children for longevity!

The question has long plagued many adults: Should they embark on the journey of parenthood or opt for the companionship of furry friends instead?

But for one remarkable centenarian, the decision is crystal clear — she believes her choice of dogs over children has played a part in her remarkable longevity.

Meet Ada Daniel, a spirited 108-year-old who recently marked a momentous occasion by celebrating her birthday surrounded by an outpouring of affection from friends and admirers.

Residing in Codnor Park Care Home in Derbyshire, Ada was delighted to receive an overwhelming number of birthday cards, totalling over 300. As if that weren't enough, even the King and Queen took the time to send their heartfelt wishes!

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 2.31.22 PM.png
Ada Daniel, 108, from Derbyshire, shared her longevity tip. Credit: Facebook, Pexels/Ron Lach.

What's the secret to Ada's impressive longevity, you ask? She credits her long life to having dogs instead of children.

Speaking to the BBC, care home activity coordinator Kelly Goucher described Ada as 'definitely a character'.

She recalls a conversation with Ada where the centenarian revealed her secret to living well beyond the average life expectancy, saying, 'I did ask her what her secret was once, and she said it was to have dogs, not kids.'

According to Kelly, Ada had a great love for her greyhound pets, all of which were named Street Lane after the street in Ripley where she previously lived.

Ada had been excitedly anticipating her birthday since April, touching the hearts of care home staff. The care home team launched an appeal on social media to help Ada celebrate her special day in style.

Surrounded by gifts, balloons, cards, and even a summery drink, Ada was all smiles when BBC Radio Derby shared a clip of her joyously celebrating the big day.

Among the well-wishers was a message from King Charles III and Queen Camilla, which read, 'My wife and I are so pleased to know that you are celebrating your one hundred and eighth birthday on 1st June 2023. This brings our warmest congratulations and heartfelt good wishes on such a special occasion.'

Born in Ambergate in 1915, Ada married her late husband Percy, a World War II veteran, at the age of 27 in 1944. The couple chose not to have any children, and Percy passed away aged 73. Ada lived independently until she was 97, enjoying daily walks into Ripley. She only made the move to a care home when she turned 103.

Ada reportedly received more than 200 cards when she celebrated her 105th birthday during a similar appeal launched amid the lockdown. And according to the records at Oldest In Britain, Ada ranks as the 65th oldest person in the UK.

Key Takeaways

• 108-year-old Ada Daniel celebrated her birthday and received more than 300 cards from well-wishers.
  • Ada believes her key to living a long life was having dogs instead of children, particularly greyhounds.
  • Ada's care home launched an appeal for her birthday celebration, asking for 108 cards, which received an overwhelming response.
  • Ada is considered the 65th oldest person in the UK, according to Oldest in Britain.

While scientific studies and research teams cannot definitively conclude that preference for dogs over children is the ultimate key to a long life, it's worth considering different lifestyle choices and priorities that may contribute to greater happiness and longevity.

Whether you're a proud parent, a doting grandparent, or a dedicated dog owner, let's all raise a glass (or a doggy treat) in honour of Ada's incredible 108 years!

What are your thoughts on this story, folks? We'd love to hear from you! Also, we have to ask: do you have any personal 'secrets' or tips for a long life? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Dogs are wonderful companions. They're always ready for a cuddle and provide lots of entertainment too.
It sounds like this lady has had a good life with her dogs.

The question has long plagued many adults: Should they embark on the journey of parenthood or opt for the companionship of furry friends instead?

But for one remarkable centenarian, the decision is crystal clear — she believes her choice of dogs over children has played a part in her remarkable longevity.

Meet Ada Daniel, a spirited 108-year-old who recently marked a momentous occasion by celebrating her birthday surrounded by an outpouring of affection from friends and admirers.

Residing in Codnor Park Care Home in Derbyshire, Ada was delighted to receive an overwhelming number of birthday cards, totalling over 300. As if that weren't enough, even the King and Queen took the time to send their heartfelt wishes!

View attachment 21721
Ada Daniel, 108, from Derbyshire, shared her longevity tip. Credit: Facebook, Pexels/Ron Lach.

What's the secret to Ada's impressive longevity, you ask? She credits her long life to having dogs instead of children.

Speaking to the BBC, care home activity coordinator Kelly Goucher described Ada as 'definitely a character'.

She recalls a conversation with Ada where the centenarian revealed her secret to living well beyond the average life expectancy, saying, 'I did ask her what her secret was once, and she said it was to have dogs, not kids.'

According to Kelly, Ada had a great love for her greyhound pets, all of which were named Street Lane after the street in Ripley where she previously lived.

Ada had been excitedly anticipating her birthday since April, touching the hearts of care home staff. The care home team launched an appeal on social media to help Ada celebrate her special day in style.

Surrounded by gifts, balloons, cards, and even a summery drink, Ada was all smiles when BBC Radio Derby shared a clip of her joyously celebrating the big day.

Among the well-wishers was a message from King Charles III and Queen Camilla, which read, 'My wife and I are so pleased to know that you are celebrating your one hundred and eighth birthday on 1st June 2023. This brings our warmest congratulations and heartfelt good wishes on such a special occasion.'

Born in Ambergate in 1915, Ada married her late husband Percy, a World War II veteran, at the age of 27 in 1944. The couple chose not to have any children, and Percy passed away aged 73. Ada lived independently until she was 97, enjoying daily walks into Ripley. She only made the move to a care home when she turned 103.

Ada reportedly received more than 200 cards when she celebrated her 105th birthday during a similar appeal launched amid the lockdown. And according to the records at Oldest In Britain, Ada ranks as the 65th oldest person in the UK.

Key Takeaways

• 108-year-old Ada Daniel celebrated her birthday and received more than 300 cards from well-wishers.
  • Ada believes her key to living a long life was having dogs instead of children, particularly greyhounds.
  • Ada's care home launched an appeal for her birthday celebration, asking for 108 cards, which received an overwhelming response.
  • Ada is considered the 65th oldest person in the UK, according to Oldest in Britain.

While scientific studies and research teams cannot definitively conclude that preference for dogs over children is the ultimate key to a long life, it's worth considering different lifestyle choices and priorities that may contribute to greater happiness and longevity.

Whether you're a proud parent, a doting grandparent, or a dedicated dog owner, let's all raise a glass (or a doggy treat) in honour of Ada's incredible 108 years!

What are your thoughts on this story, folks? We'd love to hear from you! Also, we have to ask: do you have any personal 'secrets' or tips for a long life? Share them with us in the comments below!
Cheers to this lovely lady. I love my 4 kids to death but I must say thinking back dogs would have been less problems perhaps LOL. Then again I wouldn't have all my beautiful grandies.

No teenage dramas. OMG, the memories.
Once they are past their puppy pooping period, you can't go past a nice cuddle up on the lounge, and, there is no need to help with the rent, loan the car, and so on.
I would not change our years with my step sons and then the grandchildren, but I like the way this lady thinks.

Reactions: anouch
Well done for reaching such a grand age. I must say I have cared for two ladies who reached the same age when I worked in aged care, and they both had multiple children. I’m sure they had dogs as well.