“What a great idea!”: Pet owner’s DIY Advent calendar for her pooch goes viral on social media

“What a great idea!”: Pet owner’s DIY Advent calendar for her pooch goes viral on social media
We're just a couple of weeks away from Christmas! Like many of you, here at the SDC are already counting down the days leading up to the holidays. And what better way to bring in Christmas than to make use of advent calendars!

Supermarkets have recently launched their advent calendars, with many releasing ranges of boozy and chocolate collections which perfectly suit the palette of adults and kids alike. However, did you know that your beloved pooch can join the Christmas tradition too?

More and more pet owners have been purchasing advent calendars for their pets. But, for savvy pet owner and DIY enthusiast Simone Douglas, you don't need to shell out $30 or more to let your furry friend join in this holiday tradition.

The pet owner took to Facebook to share how she made her own DIY Advent calendar for her schnauzer, Evie, using a $6 compartment box from Kmart.

2m1pLWR8uYVYY5Vt8xp1r0lrXr9JdJBq1dVcDmLSeXLGxQd5sasoTrhjvl4yVioQyVOqtaBSYtgEpAatmXYZ2onD-kmrBIOabPtNI_eQZNSlLpANPCXOUqHMaphEnfHrj0lkhDQ

Pet owner and DIY enthusiast Simone Douglas shared her DIY hack to make budget-friendly Advent calendars for your pooch. Credit: Facebook/Simone Douglas.

"After visiting a few pet shops, I saw that they were charging over $30 for Advent calendars. They were quite pricey, and I wasn't sure if the ingredients in the treats would be suitable for our pup, so I made her this one with a $6 Compartment box," Simone said.

The pet owner revealed that she used a Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine to make her own gold number stickers which she used to mark each compartment of Kmart's 24 Compartment Storage Box.

Simone noted that it only took her 10 minutes to make the DIY advent calendar, writing: "All up, it took me about 10 minutes to stick the stickers on and to fill the calendar using treats we already had for our schnauzer, Evie."

If you don't have a label machine, don't worry! The pet owner advised that number stickers are available for purchase at Kmart, Spotlight, or any other arts and crafts store.

V1eDT0AgtxXSRGtMv3kKVkoEh-pqmu7zW7QfqgnczlwqGLjqxtvEGecalMCtJz42KcbT-MHcOfVhmtEj-V6XTyPkXBgdm6ryYiPzTBklhUmkOJEEqPbt3rgpiwS_Z9nN3T8FeSA

Simone said used the $6 24 Compartment Storage Box from Kmart for her DIY project.

L-jY6Vn8EwBSEZL1u4D-rLFotj-HKWQxBywTv5_aiWhXbQ1iAuKTezlRpOiN5DABF4exfvpzEbXPFi2s1M47a_aOsvzXMXld8rLvdQsPPnPUWRSJOrbn04febumEUWGWuQWkWHw

The pet owner said that it only took her 10 minutes to finish making her DIY Advent calendar. Credit: Facebook/Simone Douglas.

The Facebook post gained traction from fellow users, amassing over 2,300 likes and nearly 1,000 comments.

One user wrote: “What a great idea! All the ones at the pet shops have things in them that I know my boy definitely won’t eat 😂 going to do this for him 💙"

"Oh I love this. I was only thinking about an advent calendar for my pooch this morning, and then I see this!" added another.

While one user could not contain her excitement, writing: "THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFEEEEE."

Do you know of any other DIY hacks for your pets? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I would love to try this when I get my new cat in the future, what a great idea.