“That is ridiculous”, Kmart shopper receives package FULL of plastic

There's nothing like the feeling of making an online purchase and receiving the order you've been eagerly expecting for days!

But one Kmart shopper was shocked when she opened the box that had been delivered to her front door.

bPVUIA9qr20Q805Di-qaSRF2felslNN2ZLuAEfAlddJPZpj1bkpGFC6YJJWtupWciopl7op4_3Vpy1mAZoZuBg03i4BJF-qG9JQjet6evhBfD5vukDz5jNn5TO7jpO2wweUYSoEW

Lisa expected to receive all of her orders in one box. Photos from 9Honey.

Lisa Oliveiro from Sydney’s Northern Beaches is currently pregnant, so to avoid going to the shops in person, she went to Kmart’s website to place a large order for some Christmas items.

She was excited when the ‘huge’ cardboard box arrived, expecting her whole order had come at once.

However, when she opened the box, she received around five metres of plastic packaging, with her order of a single stainless steel salad server at the bottom of the box.

“The salad servers were at the bottom, and I was like, ‘That is ridiculous,’” said the 35-year-old mum.

“So it was about five metres of plastic for two salad servers. I was like, ‘Surely this is a stitch-up?’”

The plastics weren’t even wrapped around the salad servers, making Lisa more furious at the environmental impact of the excess packaging. She took her complaint to Instagram and tagged Kmart Australia in her video footage.

“They replied with some generic link saying that they're on the war against over-packaging. And I'm like, ‘Bulls--t. Look what you've done,’” said Lisa.

She shared Kmart’s response to her, which reads: “Thanks for sharing this with us. We're committed to reducing waste, and this includes reducing our packaging,” along with a promise to pass the feedback onto the team and a link to Kmart's packaging and social responsibility webpages.

Lisa’s followers messaged her sharing their similar experiences after ordering something from Kmart.

“There's obviously a breakdown in their processes and being a big shop that everyone loves, imagine the unnecessary landfill they're creating with the unnecessary packaging,” said Lisa.

NbTzDBHsLga8PlrVGPPMl36zRoKMREU8MkWX8GlVtAyvmlYTkhezaMFvodDmnlwTMrEKRnpZvg8Fw7VqEs-X-AbdontkwOxlA0Sb3mPJaLR0N2lh0b38J2OkXotqRmsNJBAxZbkn

Lisa laid out the plastic that came with the box, reaching around 5 metres. Photo from 9Honey.

A spokesperson for Kmart has reached out and explained the situation from their side, saying: “Regrettably, in this instance, it appears the team member who has packed this order did not have available or use the most appropriately-sized packaging components.”

“While our team are trained and aim to minimise packaging use and waste, it is likely that they did not have access to appropriately-sized packaging options, so used what was available in an effort to pack and dispatch this order as quickly as possible to beat the Christmas rush.”

What do you think of this packaging? Do you think it’s a bit ridiculous or that Kmart did their best trying to beat the Christmas rush?

Reactions: Fat&fancy
Sponsored
This happens in many instances from many places. I received a small box of tablets at the bottom of a large box of plastic packing from an online pharmacy yesterday. It seems to happen a lot. No wonder we pay so much for shipping.

Absolutely ridiculous. They should allow the packaging to be returned and reused

What a load of BS. Something that small could have been sent in a large envelope. Seems like a lack of common sense or laziness

“That is ridiculous”, Kmart shopper receives package FULL of plastic

There's nothing like the feeling of making an online purchase and receiving the order you've been eagerly expecting for days!

But one Kmart shopper was shocked when she opened the box that had been delivered to her front door.

bPVUIA9qr20Q805Di-qaSRF2felslNN2ZLuAEfAlddJPZpj1bkpGFC6YJJWtupWciopl7op4_3Vpy1mAZoZuBg03i4BJF-qG9JQjet6evhBfD5vukDz5jNn5TO7jpO2wweUYSoEW

Lisa expected to receive all of her orders in one box. Photos from 9Honey.

Lisa Oliveiro from Sydney’s Northern Beaches is currently pregnant, so to avoid going to the shops in person, she went to Kmart’s website to place a large order for some Christmas items.

She was excited when the ‘huge’ cardboard box arrived, expecting her whole order had come at once.

However, when she opened the box, she received around five metres of plastic packaging, with her order of a single stainless steel salad server at the bottom of the box.

“The salad servers were at the bottom, and I was like, ‘That is ridiculous,’” said the 35-year-old mum.

“So it was about five metres of plastic for two salad servers. I was like, ‘Surely this is a stitch-up?’”

The plastics weren’t even wrapped around the salad servers, making Lisa more furious at the environmental impact of the excess packaging. She took her complaint to Instagram and tagged Kmart Australia in her video footage.

“They replied with some generic link saying that they're on the war against over-packaging. And I'm like, ‘Bulls--t. Look what you've done,’” said Lisa.

She shared Kmart’s response to her, which reads: “Thanks for sharing this with us. We're committed to reducing waste, and this includes reducing our packaging,” along with a promise to pass the feedback onto the team and a link to Kmart's packaging and social responsibility webpages.

Lisa’s followers messaged her sharing their similar experiences after ordering something from Kmart.

“There's obviously a breakdown in their processes and being a big shop that everyone loves, imagine the unnecessary landfill they're creating with the unnecessary packaging,” said Lisa.

NbTzDBHsLga8PlrVGPPMl36zRoKMREU8MkWX8GlVtAyvmlYTkhezaMFvodDmnlwTMrEKRnpZvg8Fw7VqEs-X-AbdontkwOxlA0Sb3mPJaLR0N2lh0b38J2OkXotqRmsNJBAxZbkn

Lisa laid out the plastic that came with the box, reaching around 5 metres. Photo from 9Honey.

A spokesperson for Kmart has reached out and explained the situation from their side, saying: “Regrettably, in this instance, it appears the team member who has packed this order did not have available or use the most appropriately-sized packaging components.”

“While our team are trained and aim to minimise packaging use and waste, it is likely that they did not have access to appropriately-sized packaging options, so used what was available in an effort to pack and dispatch this order as quickly as possible to beat the Christmas rush.”

What do you think of this packaging? Do you think it’s a bit ridiculous or that Kmart did their best trying to beat the Christmas rush?
It wouldn't bother me, I always use that stuff for other things, as well as packaging gifts to send. As long as it doesn't end up in the bin, all good!

Reactions: Liz
That packaging could be placed in the RedCycle soft plastics recycling bin that you will find at most Woolies and Coles supermarkets.