“I don’t think she expected it!”: A baker mum’s “cleaning sponge” makes the rounds on social media — can you spot what’s unusual?

A baker mum has driven social media users nuts after she created a "sponge" cake that looks just like the cleaning product.

mzVGZkCFSKI5faKYgeNclnEm6ZKz0UueuB4O0NOHTkYkfx2tlPapymI7enc8j21juy4QU7FxCvUOtFy8VdgwxsOn-LDJPk8AOd5TsKTmyt7WpEa9WgfsLsKRM_i72g7-PIN_S5o

A self-taught baker wows the internet with her realistic “sponge” cakes. Credit: Yvonne Glendinning Cadden.

Yes, you read that right! Yvonne Glendinning Cadden, a self-taught baker, decided to test her baking skills by surprising her friend on her birthday.

The mum told 7Lifestyle: “I like to try and do something different from the norm.”

And that's exactly what Yvonne did, modelling a birthday cake after a cleaning sponge using vibrant yellow and green sponge cakes and accessorising it with "edible foam" to imitate soapsuds.

“We always have a joke about how obsessed she is about keeping things clean and tidy," Yvonne said as she shared where she got the inspiration for the birthday cake.

“I just thought I’m going to make her a sponge cake, then I had a funny thought... how about I make one that looks like an actually cleaning sponge."

The self-taught baker admitted that whilst the process of making the sponge cakes was easy, matching the colours of the cake batter with the cleaning sponge was tricky.

“The top had to have the rough scourer effect so I needed to work on that to get it right,” she said.

Yvonne then added details to the cake by making edible foam using egg whites, water icing, and food gel colouring.

And the result was an insanely accurate edible cleaning sponge!

Yvonne said: “I don’t think she expected it!”

“When it was cut the kids thought they were actually real sponges and refused to have a piece until we [the adults] did.”

bsJemWhuOzCSPdXsFuL2ju61uhgGZkVdrQ9Qm-W7v7VwxIMYiz0_edK_6IKGTiD5eq7oxXznyMSqxxKNmFywzpDzolT3ODc7MZbbR_6xowjq4L6e596jPBzrOJtXUIWMKpYaP7U

Yvonne said that the idea came to her because her friend loves cleaning and keeping things tidy. Credit: Yvonne Glendinning Cadden.

The sponge cake was met with praise by fellow baking enthusiasts on Facebook, with many calling the masterpiece 'realistic'.

This is not the first time the mum has wowed Facebook users with her 'realistic' creations.

Yvonne previously made the rounds on social media after creating cakes modelled on cheeseburgers, teddy bears, pumpkins, and even haggis with a side of turnip and mash.

She said: “The haggis had chocolate icing gravy, it was so fun - the kids thought that was dinner.”

s_P-JkC-dg6RZFXZRk16X6RTDhgwLO7wgaprvWQDtbO2f-vMCN3RPxXPBfqe1FuQXyrYdKgh_RujfMzttqI5s9RnskKg67AFMuVJ23vPKqZ0hshGThnXY8j3r7bKwo9DPVmWZaM

The mum said that the ‘gravy’ in this haggis cake was actually chocolate icing. Credit: Yvonne Glendinning Cadden.

ywrW35pJ9zquO5hkGPbBncNhlAzPyAI5_Qdg6kp8uaimdX8LNQAW2IHDcMzTC-5wRfrn8TVhLDbDfZzzUqlVmHNxxytJ1rtwHHSXCMMs4MLfZsqTfyIMxrzd9bDS9t0yf1tPBPI

Another one of her realistic cake designs is this cake designed after a teddy bear. Credit: Yvonne Glendinning Cadden.

The mum also revealed that she used her time during lockdown to hone her baking skills, hoping to distract herself from suffering from lung disease.

Her daughter purchased a baking starter kit in March to help keep her busy as she was unable to spend much time outside the house.

A few months later, Yvonne decided to start a Facebook group dedicated to sharing baking tips and tricks.

Now, the Facebook group has fans from all over the world.

Yvonne said: “It [baking] has given me purpose during this time and feeling like I can help others too is amazing."

Have you done quirky baking projects before? Share photos (if you have them) with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Liz
Sponsored
I wish I could bake like this! It's fascinating

I made this cake for the last day of my horticultural course - it was a real hit with all the green thumbs
It was a basic mud cake (of course!) with icing peas, flake bark and a chocolate soil

Attachments

• IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Akira11
I made this cake for the last day of my horticultural course - it was a real hit with all the green thumbs
It was a basic mud cake (of course!) with icing peas, flake bark and a chocolate soil
Wowzer Pam! That looks so realistic. Have you done anything like this since?