“I’m so happy with the end result!”: DIY mum shares HANDMADE GIFT IDEAS that your loved ones will surely love

“I’m so happy with the end result!”: DIY mum shares HANDMADE GIFT IDEAS that your loved ones will surely love
Christmas is the season of giving. I mean, who doesn’t love giving gifts during the holiday celebrations, and seeing your loved ones light up.

The hardest part about gift giving? The cost. However, Ladies and Gents, we have good news: Gifts do not need to be expensive! As cliche as it sounds, but 'it is the thought that counts' when it comes to gift-giving. If you are looking for thoughtful gift ideas, then you might consider reading on to learn more about how one DIY enthusiast made handmade gifts for her loved ones.

Kmart shopper Amy Lynch took to Facebook to share her inexpensive, handmade DIY gifts.

An1xuv5cs1TH-gwRrCL50IJJRQVtnytvNsNZfWqADB3b52qqpe7QhISCK4dIgIcAMzsZD5jNHAB8vPxrRTpOOpOBgMAmWFWnK2G9gJUhbBw42jfmkbDM4DmHvmL6vYOgqOt-v5E

A DIY mum’s inexpensive, handmade gift idea made the rounds on Facebook. Credit: Facebook.

She wrote in a Facebook group: "I love a DIY Christmas present as something small for my extended family members who come and spend Boxing Day with us."

"As soon as I saw these Kmart jars and glasses, I knew I wanted to make something."

"I found the cookie recipe online and it came with the free tag pdf ... just need to laminate them and tie them onto the jars."

"The circle tags will be stuck on the lids too!"

"I’m so happy with the end result. "

"Fingers crossed I can get some more to make some gifts for my work friends too."

The Kmart jars she used for her gifts are part of the retailer's Christmas range and are being sold at a bargain of a price for just $6 for a 3 pack. .

Additionally, Amy shared a link to the recipe she used along with printable labels and recipe cards from American cooking blogger Sally's Baking Addiction.

w7HOpT-FC7HGmICBz3lkv67k-HTlEaykxgtkXgjCHUZmjRizR5BEL-AcvFcHTJuNr2envpuda4WQyn66mWS9A-0cP-3C2WVSSyLgtCnsc2CebtYx0ZmY3PvHKpE_IxYYd7qV71Y

Amy revealed that she made the gift jars using Kmart’s 3 Pack Santa and Friends Jars, which retail at $6. Credit: Kmart.

The mum-of-one told Yahoo Lifestyle that she does handmade gifts every year.

"I have a handmade business myself and I love being able to give people something that you can’t just go and buy off a shelf and actually feels personal and as if someone has actually put some thought into buying it," Amy said.

"If I can buy some handmade items from another small business, that is also a win, so I’ve got more stuff under my tree from independent companies too."

The DIY mum also revealed that she started her business while on maternity leave six years ago, sharing that her first project was sewing, crocheting, and knitting baby clothes.

Amy said: "Basically if I can teach myself a skill then I’ll try my best."

The DIY gift idea was met with praises from Facebook users.

One mum wrote: "These look amazing. Well done.”

"Love it!" many others added.

A third chimed in: "I did cookies in a jar last year for family and teacher gifts and everyone loved them, even asked if I’m doing them again this year.”

Aside from the gift jars, Amy also said that you can make DIY potted succulents using a set of six Santa and Friends Stemless Glasses, which retail for $12 at Kmart, as another thoughtful gift to your loved ones.

AzNHI67xn62SpfcduAPHusB6vAKp-jOw0LKE2U3lh4TY9rrtC5hoZMRgYPRbMagS9PWZJCaAhPoRv3X7Fm_5rhCidUHIZDWhhlnpQ2fEzNZfqd4qELtCVWcIsoDocdcK-4w_JqI

DIY potted succulents could also be great gifts for loved ones, according to Amy. Credit: Facebook.

Christmas might be a couple of days away but with a touch of personality and a little bit of imagination, your holiday gifts to your loved ones will definitely be a stand-out!

If you know of any other DIY gift ideas, feel free to share them in the comments below so other members of the SDC can make them too!

Reactions: Suby
Sponsored
I am busy making various sizes of kokedama for my friends this Christmas. Very cheap to make, you need sphagnum moss, potting mix, string and a few plant cuttings. There are several colours of string so you can match it up to the recipients decor. It's a different take on a potted plant.

My friends always appreciate a home made gift. It's very easy to bottle a batch of green tomato pickles or mango chutney. Ingredients for either of those are always cheap at this time of year and can even be free if you find a veggie gardener with an oversupply. Friends always love brandy snaps too. They are very easy to make with only a few ingredients. They look pretty nestled into tisdue inside a pretty old box that you can get very cheap at many op shops. A cheap easy gift is little Santas and elves drawn on wooden clothes pegs that look great on the Christmas tree.

My hobby is glass etching...all by hand, none of this etching cream for me. I recently etched a candle holder that finished with. Wrap it in cellophane paper with a nice bow and viola, little pressie. I buy a good tea in glass jars that have no logo on the lid or jar (the label peels off beautifully). I have lots of jars and have begun to etch them. I am not sure what I will fill the candle holder with yet, perhaps some spices, and I guess I will use the jars in the kitchen. Not sure what I can put in them for stocking fillers or just little gifts. Suggestions anyone? I also just recently finished etching a glass table.

Attachments

• jar and candle holder.jpg
    jar and candle holder.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: Liz and Ricci
My hobby is glass etching...all by hand, none of this etching cream for me. I recently etched a candle holder that finished with. Wrap it in cellophane paper with a nice bow and viola, little pressie. I buy a good tea in glass jars that have no logo on the lid or jar (the label peels off beautifully). I have lots of jars and have begun to etch them. I am not sure what I will fill the candle holder with yet, perhaps some spices, and I guess I will use the jars in the kitchen. Not sure what I can put in them for stocking fillers or just little gifts. Suggestions anyone? I also just recently finished etching a glass table.
Geez, how clever are you?! I wish I had the skills required.

Geez, how clever are you?! I wish I had the skills required.
Actually, there is not that much skill involved. If you can trace, and if you can colour in, then you can etch. I am no artist (I have trouble drawing stick figures!). The only difference between colouring in on paper and etching, is that with etching, the diamond ball moving at speed and if you stuff up and the ball lands where it shouldn't, then God himself could not remove the mark! I use stencils, trace them onto the glass, and trace and fill in the stencil with the dremel diamond burr. Seriously, tis just not that difficult. Does require patience though. Thank you for your comment, it is appreciated :)

Reactions: Ricci
I am busy making various sizes of kokedama for my friends this Christmas. Very cheap to make, you need sphagnum moss, potting mix, string and a few plant cuttings. There are several colours of string so you can match it up to the recipients decor. It's a different take on a potted plant.
I had to look up kokedama...thanks for teaching me a new word. Very nice they be.

Here is an idea for a Xmas gift for people on a very tight budget. When my son, daughter and myself were living on the pension decades ago, we came up with this idea (it may have been invented by someone else, but we also independently thought of it). Get some nice, thin cardboard and a small, thin wooden curtain rod. Cut the rod into small sections, glue or staple a piece of the cardboard to the sticks to make a small scroll. On the scroll write IOU and then the gift. Tie a piece of ribbon around the scroll. IOU one baked dinner (and invite the recipient to your house for a baked dinner...good idea with elderly people who find it difficult to cook or to afford to eat well), IOU a trip into town for the afternoon/morning to assist with shopping (again, good for elderly people who don't drive and have to rely on a bus or taxi), IOU a paid for trip to see a movie, etc. etc. Only limited by your imagination. One year, my son gave his grandmother an IOU Xmas gift for an afternoon working in mum's yard. Mum called in the IOU in the January, and my son worked hard all afternoon, moving rocks, mowing lawns, cleaning the gutters. Mum always said that it was the best Christmas present she ever received. So, just a thought.

• Love
Here is an idea for a Xmas gift for people on a very tight budget. When my son, daughter and myself were living on the pension decades ago, we came up with this idea (it may have been invented by someone else, but we also independently thought of it). Get some nice, thin cardboard and a small, thin wooden curtain rod. Cut the rod into small sections, glue or staple a piece of the cardboard to the sticks to make a small scroll. On the scroll write IOU and then the gift. Tie a piece of ribbon around the scroll. IOU one baked dinner (and invite the recipient to your house for a baked dinner...good idea with elderly people who find it difficult to cook or to afford to eat well), IOU a trip into town for the afternoon/morning to assist with shopping (again, good for elderly people who don't drive and have to rely on a bus or taxi), IOU a paid for trip to see a movie, etc. etc. Only limited by your imagination. One year, my son gave his grandmother an IOU Xmas gift for an afternoon working in mum's yard. Mum called in the IOU in the January, and my son worked hard all afternoon, moving rocks, mowing lawns, cleaning the gutters. Mum always said that it was the best Christmas present she ever received. So, just a thought.
That reminds me, I have a couple of IOU's hanging around here somewhere. I wonder if they've expired yet as I got them about 10 years ago and haven't thought of them in ages, or do they attract interest!?!

I make all my Christmas and birthday presents throughout the year, just get quilting material on sale and sew up market bags, which seem to be a big hit and make other sewn gifts. Always looking for ideas and if you start in the January it is not that expensive spread throughout the year.

I also had to look up the word, they look fabulous.

I was given a wonderful gift of an etched heart with my cat's face in it, the best gift I have ever received.