“I’m not having McDonald’s again”: Macca’s employee reveals the truth about McDonald’s fries

Guilty-pleasure food. Everybody’s got one… or ten, right?

Ice cream, hamburgers, and of course, hot chips from our favourite fast food chains had to join the list.

While it's no secret that fast food restaurants like McDonald's and KFC aren't exactly the healthiest options for a snack, there's something about the salty, crunchy, and delicious flavour of hot chips that we can't get enough of.

However, some customers have sworn off eating McDonald’s chips after an employee exposed how the chips are made at the popular fast food chain.

In a series of videos, TikTok user @maccaschick showed how much oil and salt residue accumulates at the bottom of the fries tray throughout the day.

“I’m trying to stay healthy, I’ll just get the fries”, she captioned the video, claiming she often heard health-conscious customers say this before ordering.

“Are you sure about that?” @maccaschick asked.
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 11.27.56 AM.png
A huge layer of fat, sloppy potato, and salt coated the tray. Credits: TikTok/maccaschick

The video has since been viewed more than 5.4 million times, with customers saying the video was a solid confirmation that chips weren’t the healthiest option.

“Fried food is not healthy … like seriously,” one person said.

“This is why I hate fries,” wrote another.

“I’m not having McDonald’s again,” another commenter claimed.

Watch her video below:

Other viewers, however, were not surprised, pointing out that the TikTok video showed the grease trap beneath the fries tray.

@maccaschick confirmed this with a follow-up video in which she lifted the top fries tray to reveal the bottom grease trap underneath.
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 11.28.08 AM.png
Many said that seeing all the oil and salt collected in the grease trap wasn’t enough to put them off their fries.
Credits: TikTok/maccaschick

“Guys, please, these aren’t the fries. It’s the oil and salt left at the end of the day,” she explained.

“It doesn’t affect how your fries taste. It’s just the residue under the filter after making like 1000 fries.”

Here’s her follow-up video:

Despite showing the residue buildup, many viewers said it wasn’t enough to stop them from ordering chips, with some even calling the grimy residue “good flavour”.

Some even went so far as to say they would gladly eat from the bottom tray, comparing it to salty mashed potatoes.

“I have zero problems with this video,” one person wrote.

What are your thoughts on this revelation? Will you continue to order McDonald's chips? Or is this reason enough to put you off the savoury snack? Let us know in the comments section below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fat&fancy
Sponsored
Ever washed up a fry pan/griller/BBQ after one meal? That video is after 100’s of serves. It’s actually well designed in its ability to be cleaned. Also, it’s not fat. If you’ve watched the news lately there is a potential canola (vegetable) oil shortage that MAY affect fast food outlets. That’s what the fries etc are cooked in - not fat.

Reactions: Phyll
There is nothing wrong with that, of course it would end up like that after a few hours of cooking, they clean it. It is not as thought it is left for weeks there!

The oil & bits is residue that has drained off is collected in a drip tray therefore you are not eating it . I drain any food that has been cooked in oil or use a rack to cook it on so it can drip off while cooking .

Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
I agree with everyone here. This is to be expected after all day use. I'm definitely not giving them up :p

Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
“I’m not having McDonald’s again”: Macca’s employee reveals the truth about McDonald’s fries

Guilty-pleasure food. Everybody’s got one… or ten, right?

Ice cream, hamburgers, and of course, hot chips from our favourite fast food chains had to join the list.

While it's no secret that fast food restaurants like McDonald's and KFC aren't exactly the healthiest options for a snack, there's something about the salty, crunchy, and delicious flavour of hot chips that we can't get enough of.

However, some customers have sworn off eating McDonald’s chips after an employee exposed how the chips are made at the popular fast food chain.

In a series of videos, TikTok user @maccaschick showed how much oil and salt residue accumulates at the bottom of the fries tray throughout the day.

“I’m trying to stay healthy, I’ll just get the fries”, she captioned the video, claiming she often heard health-conscious customers say this before ordering.

“Are you sure about that?” @maccaschick asked.

View attachment 638
A huge layer of fat, sloppy potato, and salt coated the tray. Credits: TikTok/maccaschick

The video has since been viewed more than 5.4 million times, with customers saying the video was a solid confirmation that chips weren’t the healthiest option.

“Fried food is not healthy … like seriously,” one person said.

“This is why I hate fries,” wrote another.

“I’m not having McDonald’s again,” another commenter claimed.

Watch her video below:

Other viewers, however, were not surprised, pointing out that the TikTok video showed the grease trap beneath the fries tray.

@maccaschick confirmed this with a follow-up video in which she lifted the top fries tray to reveal the bottom grease trap underneath.

View attachment 639
Many said that seeing all the oil and salt collected in the grease trap wasn’t enough to put them off their fries.
Credits: TikTok/maccaschick

“Guys, please, these aren’t the fries. It’s the oil and salt left at the end of the day,” she explained.

“It doesn’t affect how your fries taste. It’s just the residue under the filter after making like 1000 fries.”

Here’s her follow-up video:

Despite showing the residue buildup, many viewers said it wasn’t enough to stop them from ordering chips, with some even calling the grimy residue “good flavour”.

Some even went so far as to say they would gladly eat from the bottom tray, comparing it to salty mashed potatoes.

“I have zero problems with this video,” one person wrote.

What are your thoughts on this revelation? Will you continue to order McDonald's chips? Or is this reason enough to put you off the savoury snack? Let us know in the comments section below.

Life's too short to give up Macca's fries once in awhile!I

I need all the preservatives I can get.:ROFLMAO:

I wonder if they would be able to give you unsalted ones
Xe, I’ve asked about that before.
Fries were still a little salty.
I guess they drop the fries in with the others.
I have GORD, fatty foods can give me reflux. I also have a hiatus hernia which fatty foods upset that too.
We don’t live near a maccas any more but if we travelled before Covid we would stop and eat if a trip was longer than two hours.
I’m a diabetic and I was having hypos (low blood sugar) but trial and error with a few medications has fixed the problem so far.

I find macca’s fries to skinny, and because of this greater surface area end up oily. Best if you really want this tasty sack (and who doesn’t at some time) is try the nice thick and not too oily Beefy’s offering. These pie and pastry outlets do the best take away treats, usually found at most service centres down the East Coast.

Reactions: Julie1
Hi Quiltynut,
I’m inland in NSW, over an hour from Canberra and over 3 hours from Wollongong. On earlier trips to Wollongong (my home town) and before (Covid) we would stop for petrol and to eat. Having a health problem even slightly oily can be a problem. I don’t intend travelling too far these days. Having thousands of Covid cases is scary.

They are a rare treat for me and I'm not giving them up. Considering how many fries would have been there during the day it's not that bad and shows that most of the fat us draining away.