“Help!”, Potential health risk in bathroom left Aussie mum feeling repulsed

In a popular cleaning and organising group on Facebook, one Aussie mum spoke of her concern about an alarming discovery in her bathroom.

Jane Whyte from Sydney recently discovered that flushing your toilet can cause bacteria from urine, feces, and vomit to travel through the air and become airborne for up to 1.5 metres.

“So I just recently figured out that germs and poop/pee particles from flushing the toilet travel across the room and lurk on your toothbrush if exposed,” she wrote on her Facebook post, concerned about the potential health risks given how close her toothbrushes are to her toilet.

“I’ve had mine like that since forever!! HELP! How do you keep your toothbrushes clean and safe but organised away from that yuckiness!”

qNMobqg9VxJQztO-pZ2WiXRsjza_crJrRS5xCN6qsQBS-uNRarPLFvcTuIoRj9axXoi0Ofvbw5EO0-8iyc-dXuIC0ES77Xfi2Ic6qAgT8nW8u9NdfYjWl3zf4-16tlmP2F8wjMcl

Jane posted the photo of her bathroom in the Facebook group Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia. Photo from Facebook / Jane Whyte.

Several members of the Facebook group were quick to offer their advice to Jane.

“You should always close the lid when you flush. No matter where you are or where your toothbrushes are,” suggested one person, while another added: “Perhaps, install a small wall cabinet to store toothbrushes.”

Others weren’t as concerned as they’d only live in homes that separate the toilet to the bathroom.

“There is always going to be bacteria to some degree around us. It is a natural and normal presence in the world we live in. Our bodies have antibodies to fight off infections mostly,” shared one woman in the comments section.

“Sometimes, that doesn’t mean that we don’t get unwell. However, in most cases, our body protects us.”

“So the way I see it, as long as you clean your bathroom regularly, put the toilet lid down after use and have your toothbrushes as far away as you can from the toilet area, you will be doing all you can,” she said.

A second group member agreed and said: “Those same particles are everywhere; they’re on your towels and clothes and in your food. You can move your toothbrush if it makes you feel better. But it's not going to do very much, to be honest.”

For a minute there, we were worried about the potential health risk too! But it seems like our body does an excellent job of keeping ourselves healthy.

It wouldn’t hurt to be careful, though. So remember to regularly clean your bathroom and don’t have your toothbrushes too close to the toilet, folks!

Sponsored
I was always taught to close the lid, because not only do the germs reach the surrounding surface, they can get onto you too while you're standing there flushing

Reactions: Tervueren and Barbh
“Help!”, Potential health risk in bathroom left Aussie mum feeling repulsed

In a popular cleaning and organising group on Facebook, one Aussie mum spoke of her concern about an alarming discovery in her bathroom.

Jane Whyte from Sydney recently discovered that flushing your toilet can cause bacteria from urine, feces, and vomit to travel through the air and become airborne for up to 1.5 metres.

“So I just recently figured out that germs and poop/pee particles from flushing the toilet travel across the room and lurk on your toothbrush if exposed,” she wrote on her Facebook post, concerned about the potential health risks given how close her toothbrushes are to her toilet.

“I’ve had mine like that since forever!! HELP! How do you keep your toothbrushes clean and safe but organised away from that yuckiness!”

qNMobqg9VxJQztO-pZ2WiXRsjza_crJrRS5xCN6qsQBS-uNRarPLFvcTuIoRj9axXoi0Ofvbw5EO0-8iyc-dXuIC0ES77Xfi2Ic6qAgT8nW8u9NdfYjWl3zf4-16tlmP2F8wjMcl

Jane posted the photo of her bathroom in the Facebook group Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia. Photo from Facebook / Jane Whyte.

Several members of the Facebook group were quick to offer their advice to Jane.

“You should always close the lid when you flush. No matter where you are or where your toothbrushes are,” suggested one person, while another added: “Perhaps, install a small wall cabinet to store toothbrushes.”

Others weren’t as concerned as they’d only live in homes that separate the toilet to the bathroom.

“There is always going to be bacteria to some degree around us. It is a natural and normal presence in the world we live in. Our bodies have antibodies to fight off infections mostly,” shared one woman in the comments section.

“Sometimes, that doesn’t mean that we don’t get unwell. However, in most cases, our body protects us.”

“So the way I see it, as long as you clean your bathroom regularly, put the toilet lid down after use and have your toothbrushes as far away as you can from the toilet area, you will be doing all you can,” she said.

A second group member agreed and said: “Those same particles are everywhere; they’re on your towels and clothes and in your food. You can move your toothbrush if it makes you feel better. But it's not going to do very much, to be honest.”

For a minute there, we were worried about the potential health risk too! But it seems like our body does an excellent job of keeping ourselves healthy.

It wouldn’t hurt to be careful, though. So remember to regularly clean your bathroom and don’t have your toothbrushes too close to the toilet, folks!
We use Steripods on our toothbrushes, even though there is no toilet nearby, any germs can reach your toothbrush or flies can enter the bathroom and land on the toothbrush. Steripods can be purchased from The Shaver Shop recommened to change pods every 3 months and if you register your pods an email will be sent to remind you to change the pods at 3 months.

Reactions: Tervueren and Barbh
Reminds me of the joke where a wife when upset by her husband get's even by cleaning the toilet....... with his toothbrush..:D

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
I always put the toilet seat down and already knew what the article was saying.
I encourage any visitors to do the same, when visiting us. I even have a little note blue tacked up on the wall. 😂
I also have a note up about holding down flushing button, when finished “doing you not what”, as the landlords won’t change the toilet. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Xe