‘What’s happening to Australia?’ – Here’s what $45 will get you at ALDI

With the cost of living continuing to skyrocket, it’s no secret that buying essential items can be one of the most expensive parts of our budget.

Most people are struggling to fill their fridges, as the amount of money needed for a single grocery trip keeps increasing.

This was the case for one shopper who couldn’t believe that a whopping $45 only got them 8 items from the supermarket.

A shopper was left feeling upset after spending $45 on eight products at ALDI. Taking their frustrations online, the customer shared a photo of their small haul to a popular Facebook group and captioned it with: ‘What’s happening to Australia?’

In the photo, the items they bought were: bananas, lamb chops, cat food, almond milk, organic quinoa, chocolate, chickpeas, and garbage bags. All of these items were listed on ALDI’s Special Buys deal.

grocery1.jpg
The shopper’s grocery haul cost $45. Credit: Facebook

ALDI is known for its cheap prices and Special Buys, which is why the customer was shocked by the small number of items they purchased.

However, other social media users who saw the customer’s post quickly pointed out that the inclusion of some ‘non-essential items’, such as almond milk and organic quinoa, were typically more expensive compared to alternative products.

‘Organic and almond milk won’t help,’ someone said.

Another added: ‘And it’s ALDI, it would be more in IGA or Harris Farm.’

‘We were just commenting on how much our Woolies bills had increased,’ one stated, while another replied that ‘working people are being priced out of their lives’.

‘I’m thankful every day that debt is a distant memory,’ they added.

And that’s not the only frustrated customer we have come across online. In a similar instance, one Woolworths shopper shared a photo of their $80 grocery haul to the popular social media forum Reddit. The Woolworths shopper’s grocery items included: mince, wraps, burger buns, mineral water, cheese and rocket.

They captioned: ‘$78.80 “shop” at Woolworths today.’

Many took to the comments section and shared their thoughts about the price of the haul.

grocery2.jpg
This photo sparked outrage online. Credit: Reddit

‘Cheese is so expensive at the moment. It must be laced with gold or something,’ one shared.

Another added: ‘It’s nuts for a country that produces so much dairy to have such expensive cheese.’

One claimed that shopping just makes them ‘sad’ these days. ‘I do a lot of standing, looking at aisles, and then walking away as everything is just too expensive. I actually used to weirdly enjoy shopping as well,’ they added.

While one said they used to enjoy finding deals and cutting out things that weren’t necessary. ‘It’s not even worth buying anything because your cart quickly adds up to $100 of stuff you can’t even make a few meals with,’ the social media user continued.

‘Yes, stand around, compare prices, get sad, and walk past the goodie aisles because those are now luxury items,’ someone claimed.

Another said: ‘Last week, I ordered $200 worth of groceries, and I definitely didn’t get that many things. Worse still, I’m on a fixed income and can’t save any money. Most of it is being used per fortnight.

Many customers have noticed that the price of food and other basic goods at all major grocery stores has increased. Inflation is up by 7.8 per cent in Australia, as of data gathered by the Australian Bureau of Statistics from December 2022. Wage growth is still around the 3 per cent mark.

This post comes after a journalist from news.com.au took on a challenge to buy as many items as she could with a budget of $50. Mary Madigan put three of Australia’s top supermarkets – ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths – to the test in a bid to find out which store would give her the best bang for her buck.

To start, she made a list of basic food items she wanted to buy, including groceries and other items she would need to make a simple pasta recipe.

These included: milk, butter, bread, eggs, Weetbix, pasta, pasta sauce, mince, cheese, strawberries, tomatoes, coffee, and dishwasher tablets. And to make sure she stayed unbiased in her final verdict, she chose the least expensive option at each of the supermarkets – meaning she only bought the basics. You can read her full report here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper was left frustrated after $45 only got them eight items.
  • Inflation and wage growth in Australia are both high, causing many to take to social media to express outrage at how expensive groceries have become.
  • In a similar instance, a photo of a Woolworths shopper’s almost $80 grocery haul recently circulated on Reddit.
What about you, members? Are you feeling the pinch these days as well? If you have any tips and tricks you use to stretch your grocery budget, share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
This feels like on repeat.

We are ALL going through this and we have put up countless times , stock up on the 50 % off items and look for specials.

That shop looked like she had expensive items in there. Organics and chocolate 🍫 😋 but at the moment only buy these items if you have money left after essentials.

Has she been asleep to only see the cost of groceries now !

With the cost of living continuing to skyrocket, it’s no secret that buying essential items can be one of the most expensive parts of our budget.

Most people are struggling to fill their fridges, as the amount of money needed for a single grocery trip keeps increasing.

This was the case for one shopper who couldn’t believe that a whopping $45 only got them 8 items from the supermarket.

A shopper was left feeling upset after spending $45 on eight products at ALDI. Taking their frustrations online, the customer shared a photo of their small haul to a popular Facebook group and captioned it with: ‘What’s happening to Australia?’

In the photo, the items they bought were: bananas, lamb chops, cat food, almond milk, organic quinoa, chocolate, chickpeas, and garbage bags. All of these items were listed on ALDI’s Special Buys deal.

View attachment 15420

ALDI is known for its cheap prices and Special Buys, which is why the customer was shocked by the small number of items they purchased.

However, other social media users who saw the customer’s post quickly pointed out that the inclusion of some ‘non-essential items’, such as almond milk and organic quinoa, were typically more expensive compared to alternative products.

‘We were just commenting on how much our Woolies bills had increased,’ one stated, while another replied that ‘working people are being priced out of their lives’.

And that’s not the only frustrated customer we have come across online. In a similar instance, one Woolworths shopper shared a photo of their $80 grocery haul to the popular social media forum Reddit. The Woolworths shopper’s grocery items included: mince, wraps, burger buns, mineral water, cheese and rocket.

Many took to the comments section and shared their thoughts about the price of the haul.

View attachment 15421

‘Cheese is so expensive at the moment. It must be laced with gold or something,’ one shared.

Another added: ‘It’s nuts for a country that produces so much dairy to have such expensive cheese.’

One claimed that shopping just makes them ‘sad’ these days. ‘I do a lot of standing, looking at aisles, and then walking away as everything is just too expensive. I actually used to weirdly enjoy shopping as well,’ they added.

While one said they used to enjoy finding deals and cutting out things that weren’t necessary. ‘It’s not even worth buying anything because your cart quickly adds up to $100 of stuff you can’t even make a few meals with,’ the social media user continued.

‘Yes, stand around, compare prices, get sad, and walk past the goodie aisles because those are now luxury items,’ someone claimed.

Another said: ‘Last week, I ordered $200 worth of groceries, and I definitely didn’t get that many things. Worse still, I’m on a fixed income and can’t save any money. Most of it is being used per fortnight.

Many customers have noticed that the price of food and other basic goods at all major grocery stores has increased. Inflation is up by 7.8 per cent in Australia, as of data gathered by the Australian Bureau of Statistics from December 2022. Wage growth is still around the 3 per cent mark.

This post comes after a journalist from news.com.au took on a challenge to buy as many items as she could with a budget of $50. Mary Madigan put three of Australia’s top supermarkets – ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths – to the test in a bid to find out which store would give her the best bang for her buck.

To start, she made a list of basic food items she wanted to buy, including groceries and other items she would need to make a simple pasta recipe.

These included: milk, butter, bread, eggs, Weetbix, pasta, pasta sauce, mince, cheese, strawberries, tomatoes, coffee, and dishwasher tablets. And to make sure she stayed unbiased in her final verdict, she chose the least expensive option at each of the supermarkets – meaning she only bought the basics. You can read her full report here.
Key Takeaways

• Inflation and wage growth in Australia are both high, causing many to take to social media to express outrage at how expensive groceries have become.
  • In a similar instance, a photo of a Woolworths shopper’s almost $80 grocery haul recently circulated on Reddit.
What about you, members? Are you feeling the pinch these days as well? If you have any tips and tricks you use to stretch your grocery budget, share them with us in the comments below!
I’ll think twice before buying fruit at Aldi ever again. The grapes went soft in 2 days snd off shortly after.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

It is ridiculous the price of groceries now. There is no excuse for them to be soooo high. In the past I could buy 3 bags of groceries for under $100 now it is costing over $150. How are retired people who have worked there whole life and are living on a pension supposed to survive on this. We have paid thousands in taxes every year and I think are entitled to be on a pension. But a lot of us are now having to go back to work to survive.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

I bought broccoli at Aldi and within a day it had gone brown. Now I buy it frozen.

• Sad

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

Have a look the items, specialty Chocolate, organic Bananas and Almond Milk....H E L L O !!!
Probably would have been 65 at Coles or Woolies. Try normal Chocolate and normal bananas and proper milk. Almond Milk, really, get a life!

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

I’ll think twice before buying fruit at Aldi ever again. The grapes went soft in 2 days snd off shortly after.
I buy mostly tinned items, UHT milk and a few other things from Aldi, but not all my groceries. For quite a while now I have found that their fruit & vegetables are just below the quality from Coles and Woolworths, like second grade, and either have soft spots or go off quickly. And, yes, it is certainly getting more expensive to buy groceries; on the other hand buying ‘special’ items like organic bananas, special milks, soft drink, chocolate etc can increase the cost of your total buy. Do you really need these? The word ‘organic’ will automatically send the price up even though it may not cost any more to grow or produce. I don’t know. Try giving up some expensive, indulgent buys for a while. Some people do need special milk and other essential foods so it will cost more than standard items (which have admittedly also gone up in price as well).

Last edited:
It is ridiculous the price of groceries now. There is no excuse for them to be soooo high. In the past I could buy 3 bags of groceries for under $100 now it is costing over $150. How are retired people who have worked there whole life and are living on a pension supposed to survive on this. We have paid thousands in taxes every year and I think are entitled to be on a pension. But a lot of us are now having to go back to work to survive.
Think of the cost of similar items in the 60s, 70s and 80s and consider the wages of those days and consider wages now. Everything in proportion although wages aren’t keeping up now.

Wages in this country
Think of the cost of similar items in the 60s, 70s and 80s and consider the wages of those days and consider wages now. Everything in proportion although wages aren’t keeping up now.
Wages in this country are outrageous and a lot of the reason thing are so expensive.

Level headed me, I'm beginning to see conspiracy theories here. Maybe it's all a plot to "fix" the obesity crisis! Maybe they are trying to starve us thin! I know that if things go up much more my shopping is going to reduce to milk, tea, coffee, bread flour and yeast, oh and dog food, can't forget them. Meat has long gone from my shopping, as have fresh fruit and veggies, treats are a distant memory and I've heard talk of biscuits and cakes although I've not seen them myself! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

everyone knows about price rises so why do they put it on social media we already know

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

Yes nobody is immune to this, we have moved in with my daughter and partner, so have to cook for five but am still finding, cheaper items,we have Aldi Coles and Woolworths, all in same complex so get only special s on different days

Reactions: Kaylee

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

I was at woolies last week and got 14 items and it cost 70 dollars

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

I have been paying attention to woolworths pricing in recent times. The media on TV had been bombarding us with the cost of living increases and the very next day prices would increase slightly..., more media commentry and followed by a increase. But i noted also at a certain time in the afternoon the deli section would announce reduction by half price for fresh chicken pieces.. just minutes after i had bought mine at the higher rate. I was tempted to go back and get mine reprised as it was seconds only from purchasing to reduced price. Then i thought no, i have the items and was ok with the price then so i am not going to be uptight over that.. i chose to be happy for the shoppers who got the bargain price and walked around to the detergent section as i had discovered washing detergent of a new line Clean that was $1.45 for 2 litres. The person stacking told me it was a new line and another pallet was to be unpacked and put in shelves as required. So I bought 4 and gifted 2 to my neighbour..i also bought milk at a reduced price to make custard and a tray of milk rice (and thickened cream and. then off to the freezer and found different brands of icecream at half price, usually $11.00 and so i was delighted with my purchases. The staff as always no matter who or where they worked in the store were very friendly, helpful and seemed happy working there. I made it my business to speak to the manager and express what a pleasure it always is to shop there.. on speaking to him i could see why his staff were so happy in their work environment.. approachable, alert to tasks at hand and always friendly and pleasant interactions with them..
Congrats to Midland Woolworths... it's a very small shopping centre and i enjoy shopping there.. in 7 1/2 years i have only give to the larger shopping complex about 4 times... It so busy there and there is a different energy there because of so many folks, stores and lights and white noise.. but for those who shop there it's just perfect for them. I do enjoy going to the movie theatre there and the food hall.. 😊👍

Just saying, It was 2019 3 bags of groceries was just under $100, now 2023 same groceries same payday definitely not three bags as recent as last thursday $194.85.

• Sad

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

Key Takeaways

I have been paying attention to woolworths pricing in recent times. The media on TV had been bombarding us with the cost of living increases and the very next day prices would increase slightly..., more media commentry and followed by another increase. I noted also at a certain time in the afternoon the deli section would announce reduction by half price for fresh chicken pieces.. once just minutes after i had bought mine at the higher rate. I was tempted to go back and get mine repriced as fur a free services u was miffed... bad attitude monent. . Then i thought no, i have the items and was ok with the price then so i am not going to be uptight over that.. i chose to be happy for the shoppers who got the bargain price and walked around to the detergent section as i had discovered washing detergent of a new line Clean that was $1.45 for 2 litres. The person stacking told me it was a new line and another pallet was to be unpacked and put in shelves as required and he was pleased to get my feedback on how impressed i was with it. So I bought 4 and gifted 2 to my neighbour..i also bought milk at a reduced price to make custard and a tray of milk rice and thickened cream and. then off to the freezer and found different brands of icecream at half price, usually $11.00 and so i was delighted with my purchases. The staff as always no matter who or where they worked in the store were very friendly, helpful and seemed happy working there. I made it my business to speak to the manager and express what a pleasure it always is to shop there.. on speaking to him i could see why his staff were so happy in their work environment.. approachable, alert to tasks at hand and always friendly and pleasant interactions with them.. and not beneath his dignity to stock shelves himself where needed.

Congrats to Midland Branch of Woolworths. Its a short walk from the train station and the complex there is small but very nice environment imo.

With my 'fixed income' I would have chosen some different items for that amount and can see why it was $45 in our current costs. But we buy what we need, not always what we want.